Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post. My cars is a 2015 Corolla S Plus with all maintenance ahead of schedule. It is a daily or near daily driver with a fairly new battery.

Yesterday I went to start my car and it had normal lights and a very “monotone” noise when in start position, almost a loud hum sound, but never taking that next step of cranking. Not a weak battery noise (multi level noise), not a click for dead or near dead. I tried again a couple hours later with the same result. I also tried my spare key.

Today I arranged a tow to the dealership (I have extended warranty). When I went to get a few items from the car I decided to try again. It did the hum a second or two and then it started. I chose not to drive it and kept the tow (Auto club).

They’ve checked and charging systems are all good. And, it’s started perfectly every time. There’s also no codes showing. It’s still at the shop as I don’t want to drive it with the unknowns.

Any ideas? Could it be wires, a starter not connecting, could it be a fuel issue? (I use top tier only). Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loose or corroded battery terminals??
I've heard that noise on a honda, thought it was the ignition switch, but it wasn't
[/
it didn’t seem battery related based on lights and lack of dimming when attempting to start. I’m hoping the shop figures it out. Sure wish I’d video’d it so they could hear what I heard.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,374 Posts
Get the starter tested. It is a premature failure. Are you the original owner, op?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am the original owner. I will check back with the shop in a couple hours to see if any answers found.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched premature starter failure on YouTube and that is the sound. I then called my service advisor and he was at lunch so I emailed a link to the video. It will at least give them the sound I was hearing. Here’s to hoping. I appreciate the input so much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was going to show to the “master tech”. Meanwhile unless my car experiences the issue in their presence, they can’t do the work under warranty. I said I’d leave the car there another day for them to randomly try. If I pick it up unrepaired, they said if it happens again to try 5 or 6 times or they will show where to tap the starter. Even if I video the occurrence they cannot not use for their “witnessing” of event. Their price to replace at my cost is approximately $325 but they don’t want to do that just in case the issue remains and I get agitated at buying a starter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
He was going to show to the “master tech”. Meanwhile unless my car experiences the issue in their presence, they can’t do the work under warranty. I said I’d leave the car there another day for them to randomly try. If I pick it up unrepaired, they said if it happens again to try 5 or 6 times or they will show where to tap the starter. Even if I video the occurrence they cannot not use for their “witnessing” of event. Their price to replace at my cost is approximately $325 but they don’t want to do that just in case the issue remains and I get agitated at buying a starter.
so what happened was when it was towed, it was enough to engage the gear or something in the starter and made it work. i've had this happen on other cars. had a large long screw driver (talking huge) an whacked the starter when it did that again so it would start the car. hopefully the "master mechanic" sees reason and does the work. otherwise you will be stuck with having it be towed in and go through the whole thing again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had arranged the tow after a day of not starting. Then it started prior to tow, but I didn’t want to chance if a fuel issue. Looking at it more with how it’s acted rules out fuel. I do have free towing, but it’s the inconvenience factor. I frequently do day trips and vacations but currently can’t trust it beyond a nearby radius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I left my car there three days and it never once replicated. For them to cover under warranty they must experience it. I drove my car home and with the current virus haven’t been doing any driving. My service advisor gave me his personal cell and said to call if it should happen again. Also to tow again. But, if critical to drive (we have other cars), try starting 5 or 6 times or tap the starter if needed. Frustrating but they’re not willing to change starter, under warranty, without having their own experience. They believe me, and the video I found helped explain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I left my car there three days and it never once replicated. For them to cover under warranty they must experience it. I drove my car home and with the current virus haven’t been doing any driving. My service advisor gave me his personal cell and said to call if it should happen again. Also to tow again. But, if critical to drive (we have other cars), try starting 5 or 6 times or tap the starter if needed. Frustrating but they’re not willing to change starter, under warranty, without having their own experience. They believe me, and the video I found helped explain.
I would take it to another dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The next closest dealership is under the same “company”. Fortunately the timing is when we’re limited on movement and can’t do our usual trips. I am starting it a couple times per day to see if it will fail again. When movement restrictions are lifted I may have to go to plan B and pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The next closest dealership is under the same “company”. Fortunately the timing is when we’re limited on movement and can’t do our usual trips. I am starting it a couple times per day to see if it will fail again. When movement restrictions are lifted I may have to go to plan B and pay out of pocket.
what if you video it when it happens, will they accept that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I asked that question and was told no. However, as I have the direct line to service advisor (personal cell), I will call him directly and ask when it happens again. Perhaps “hearing it” via phone will work.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,374 Posts
I would ask the service manager to have the starter bench tested. This will allow the "master tech" to verify the plunger and the gear is in good shape.

You likely have a low spot in the gear when it engages the flywheel to prevent it from turning with the flywheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The YouTube video I found concerning “toyota premature starter failure” says that they will pass the bench test, but truth only seen by dismantling the starter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts