Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2015 Highlander V6 from a Toyota dealer and the kilometer was at 123,000 KM. At 172,000 KM the head gasket blew had a leak, the 2015 Highlander V6 has the 2GR-FE engines. Is this an issue with these engines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it mechanic and he determined the coolant reservoir got low on fluid. The fluid was leaking underneath the car. He checked the Engine block area and it was leaking from there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
While a blown head gasket could result in loss of coolant, I’m not mechanic but think you need a compression test to check for a blown head gasket. And I also think if coolant is getting into the cylinders you should have white exhaust. Regardless I don’t know how it would be leaking onto the ground from the engine block unless there is a much bigger problem than just a head gasket or two, but you’ll definitely have a nightmare of an issue if you have a head gasket problem left unrepaired. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I opened the radiator cap after the vehicle was running and was still hot, there were no pressure at all

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well if all your coolant got into the cylinders via a bad head gasket I wouldn’t expect the coolant system to pressurize. You’ve got no coolant! Continuing to run in that condition could ruin your rings and/or warp the head, so proceed with caution. Didn’t your mechanic do a cylinder pressure test? All I read is that you said there was coolant underneath the engine and he said it was coming from the block? Who determined it was a head gasket, and why? Again, no white exhaust indicating water in the cylinders then I’d question that diagnosis. Needs more detailed analysis IMO. Also, don’t know if it’s still true on today’s engines, but used to be when a water pump’s seals went bad it would leak like a sieve! Drain your coolant that or any other way the system won’t pressurize properly. Have you not seen any temperature warnings through all this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine didn't overheat, it was caught during the routine inspection. It was under the car in the front side below the engine, so it was leaking from the engine to the ground, the coolant wasn't milky, so it was external leak.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm very leery about this diagnosis. There are several other more probably things that could be causing this then blown head gasket. ArclightX posted a very good video of the proper way to test for a blown head gasket. These engines are not known for head gasket problems...unless they are abused (overheat).

Personally - it sounds more like a water pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The leaking looks like pink or rainbow colour coming from beneath the car, from the gasket area

·
Registered
5 Posts
The leaking looks like pink or rainbow colour coming from beneath the car, from the gasket area
Under normal circumstances, Pink fluid is usually your power steering fluid or your tranny fluid but given the nature of what we're talking about I think both of those are unlikely. I vaguely recall toyota stock coolant fluid is pink (e.g. Not the usual green stuff).

Open up your radiator cap, (when your engine is cold), or take a look at your coolant over flow reservoir and then you'll know.

Sounds like you have a coolant leak of some sort if I was a betting man and unless you or the previous owner overheated the engine I'd say a headgasket issue is unlikely, which is a good thing.

Here's the amazon link to the tester kit in case you're inclined to give it a go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm suspecting my 14' may have a head problem. I noticed strong gas smell from cold start up and white smoke from the exhaust, even after its warmed up. Not alot of smoke, almost like condensation burn off, but I need to find out whats going on with it. I have an appt for dealer to check it out tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong. Edit - no milky oil or visible leaks on the floor. Temp has been consistent when its normally warmed up. Also, engine noise is normal and no noticeable performance issues. Fuel consumption also normal. I did just notice coolant is low, but that may be my lack of maintenance check (i rarely checked since its never overheated or displayed of high temp reading). I'll have to refill and check again later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had performance issue, it always felt sluggish when accelerating, there was a bit of engine noise too, I don't know, probably that also was a sign of head gasket issue from the beginning, the radiator cap has no pressure even when car is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I had performance issue, it always felt sluggish when accelerating, there was a bit of engine noise too, I don't know, probably that also was a sign of head gasket issue from the beginning, the radiator cap has no pressure even when car is warmed up.
I'm still not convinced it's a head gasket problem. No cap pressure could be a water pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if it's water pump would the leak be from underneath the engine bay area?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts