Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been monitoring your Avalon forum for a year. I need your help please.

I've had my 2016 Avalon XLE Premium for fourteen months.The car is great, except for the driver's seat. Dealership and Toyota won't help. They say there is no problem with the seat. I've had it worked on by two different upholstery shops. They didn't know what they were doing, I think they made it worse.

The driver seat goes from very uncomfortable to causing hip pain. I can't drive more than two hours without being in a lot of pain. When I visit my daughter three hours away I have to stay the night as I can't make the return trip because of the pain. Unless I can get the seat fixed I'll have to get rid of the car. I can't keep a car I can't drive anywhere except around town.

Has anyone in Missouri had their seat fixed? If you so, are you allowed to tell me where you had the work done? I'll drive anywhere in the state to get it fixed.

Thank you for any help you may have!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have been following that thread, but I'm hoping someone has used an upholstery shop in Missouri that knows how to fix the seat correctly. I tried two different shops, the seat has been worked on three times between them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Most of todays near luxury cars seem to have small, economy car sized front seat bottoms with skimpy and/or hard foam padding. Examples: I found the front seats of the 2017 Buick Lacrosse, Lincoln Continental and Avalon I rentedpainfully hard after a half hour or more.

The Korean cars fare better - larger and/or softer front seat bottoms, but are still far behind (pun intended) the comfort level of the large and thickly foam padded bucket and bench seats found in large rear wheel drive American cars and full size pickups of the 1970's and 80's. Example: 1977 Chevy Caprice https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/17/67/84/62/d704_410.jpg

·
PJSMITH
TAH LTD Tech
1,494 Posts
Most of todays near luxury cars seem to have small, economy car sized front seat bottoms with skimpy and/or hard foam padding. Examples: I found the front seats of the 2017 Buick Lacrosse, Lincoln Continental and Avalon I rentedpainfully hard after a half hour or more.

The Korean cars fare better - larger and/or softer front seat bottoms, but are still far behind (pun intended) the comfort level of the large and thickly foam padded bucket and bench seats found in large rear wheel drive American cars and full size pickups of the 1970's and 80's. Example: 1977 Chevy Caprice https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/17/67/84/62/d704_410.jpg
I can't validate who has all of the good ones but the wifes Volvo S60 seats are the softest most comfortable (bucket) seats I ever sat in. Best ever were the 74 gran Torino bench

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked in detail of the thread and conclude that if I add form of 2 inch thick the seat cover may not be able to put back properly.

So I choose to add a form of 2 inch thick to the bottom of my seat cover. It is pretty simple: build a 2 inch form and sew it to the bottom of the seat cover (only need to sew four corners).

You can check my post in that thread I complained my leg pain and I found the reason is the Avalon seat. After I added 2 inch form at the bottom of my seat cover. I never have had pain anymore.

It is a shame that Toyota add heater, vent to the seat but forget the primary purpose of the seats.

I have drove AVALON for more 20 years. This is the worst seat I experienced. For all the cars I drove, Ford Granada had the best seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
it is possible and even likely that the Lexus es350 seats may fit but I cannot guarantee it. They may be available used but check to make sure no airbag deployment as the bags are in the seats.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
A good upholstery shop can fix the seats a lot cheaper than getting Lexus seats and you don't have to worry about color match. Riggs upholstery did a wonderful job fixing my 2014 and 2019 seats.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
992 Posts
91 Taurus had a great seat for the traveling salesman.
+1
89, 91, 94, 00, and 04 Taurus - fabulous seats for me (in 89, 6'5" 110 EDIT: 210lb, by 04, 6'2" 130 EDIT: 230lb)

I'm still working with my 01 Avalon seat. It's close, maybe helped because it's the old style cloth seat, which seems to be deeper (more thigh support) than the "leather".

My wife's 03 with "leather" -- god-awful. Like sitting on a flat rock. It's ok for her as she's short and fully padded.

I'm still in the process of working out the anatomical details. The following article is one of the best I've run across for giving the anatomical names for what can cause pain:
https://www.michaelcurtispt.com/driving-buttock-pain/

I hope to work with the names to find the locations of each, with the idea of minimizing or removing pressure points on those areas.

Strange to say, the manually multi-adjustable seat in our 1992 Camry, despite being very small with little thigh support, was a great long-drive seat. It had 3-4 knobs and all sorts of adjustment. I read somewhere that Toyota farmed out the design to a physical therapy-savvy design group.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
90 Posts
I am a light weight and the max I can go is a 3 hour drive until I get very uncomfortable sitting in my 14 Avalon Limited. The more annoying thing is the passenger seat lumbar rattle, more so when unoccupied. I know it is something inside the top half of the passenger seat that rattles from the inside lumbar support and it is (nothing else). When I remove the headrest and bang the back of the passenger seat I can hear the rattle inside more clearly thru the headrest holes. Has anyone been able to fix this issue on the top half of the passenger seat ?

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
145 Posts
I am a light weight and the max I can go is a 3 hour drive until I get very uncomfortable sitting in my 14 Avalon Limited. The more annoying thing is the passenger seat lumbar rattle, more so when unoccupied. I know it is something inside the top half of the passenger seat that rattles from the inside lumbar support and it is (nothing else). When I remove the headrest and bang the back of the passenger seat I can hear the rattle inside more clearly thru the headrest holes. Has anyone been able to fix this issue on the top half of the passenger seat ?
Both my '14 and '16 TAL's have/had this issue. Very annoying when no one is in the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts