Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just got my left over 2016 xle plus over the weekend,it got a long test drive home (200 miles) i really can't complain at all i'm not a small person i found the seats very nice and the ride very smooth,being a auto tech i'm very picking about comfort ride etc.the one reason i got the cheaper model was for the 17 inch tires,cheaper to replace and usually a better ride,i really have no ass so i was surprised that the seats were comfortable,some of you guys are complaining about cup holders,well it has 4 i really don't need more than that,don't forget its about driving not eating your supper while driving lol,the only thing that could be better is a larger trunk but that's about it.this is my first new car ever and foreign car,i was a gm man and tech for years i respect that these have a great track record,i just wanted to say something positive for others thinking about purchasing new Avalon in the future,i would test drive several models at highway speed and city before laying down your cash

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll chime in as well w/ a positive post.
I purchased a 2014 Limited about 3 weeks ago. Previous car was a 2005 Avalon XLS. The only 2 Toyota vehicles I've ever owned. (always a GM guy and a car nut who builds GM muscle cars for a hobby)
So far, I love the Limited. Smooth ride w/ 18" tires. 4 cup holders, 2 more than we need. The seats in the Limited are more comfortable than those in the XLS. I can live w/ the stereo. I've seen better and have seen worse. Wind noise is very acceptable.
To date, the only complaints we have are:
1) The trunk is a bit smaller than the XLS had. But I'll figure out how to pack it.
2) There is NO transmission dip stick. This really aggravates me because I'm a guy who is always checking fluid levels and doing general preventive maintenance. The process for checking the transmission fluid sucks.
So I'm giving my Limited a positive vote. But as mentioned before, not all cars are made equal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
hunter541:

Congratulations on your new Avalon -- I am sure you will continue to enjoy this excellent and remarkably reliable car. Remember that the Avalon, although nominally a "foreign car", is actually built in Georgetown, Kentucky, so you can feel good about buying a product made in the USA. Only 15% of the Avalon's parts are manufactured in Japan, and 70% in North America.

Robert N.

·
2016 Avalon Limited
256 Posts
hunter541:

Congratulations on your new Avalon -- I am sure you will continue to enjoy this excellent and remarkably reliable car. Remember that the Avalon, although nominally a "foreign car", is actually built in Georgetown, Kentucky, so you can feel good about buying a product made in the USA. Only 15% of the Avalon's parts are manufactured in Japan, and 70% in North America.

Robert N.
I'll bite. Where are the rest (15%) made?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I decided it was time to upgrade the 2010 civic i was driving since my back could no longer tolerate those seats or that car.

I decided why not get the most luxurious car toyota makes, my local dealer offered bumper to bumper on resertified up to 150k miles
then lifetime power train. I drive a lot for work and needed a comfy car.

I purchased a 16 xle base and a week after purchase the car began to have these vibrations over the smoothest roads. The dealer
kept insisting the tires were the culprit. The transmission on colder morning was rough, you could feel every shift.

I took the car back and while they were looking at it they placed me in a touring 16 and this car is much more comfortable
wind noise is less, when you hit a pot hold there is just a solid thunk instead of the rattle the xle had. After so much complaining
they agree to take the xle back and sell me the touring.

The touring still has a slight vibration which i suspect is the trans hunting for the next gear, but the dealer agreed to cut me a break and
are giving me a set of michellins for around 400 bucks. Once that is done in a few weeks i will check back with you all and let you know
if the tires fixed the vibes.

Other then that i really love the feel of this touring and plan to keep it a long time.

I am planning on adding some led mood lighting and was going to go through the dash and insulate the panels making creaking noises.

Eventually i would like to add a carbon fiber factory spoiler and maybe mirror caps ;-)

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Avalon
99 Posts
I would say the tires would probably cover a couple of the gripes. Nothing is as smooth and quiet as a properly purposed Michelin. I have seen then completely change the handling and noise characteristics of a car vs. OE tires. I too am a spirited driver, and sever times from a dead stop done, sport mode mode on, traction control off, manual shift engaged (narrating in Jeremy Clarkson’s voice) and shifted at redline through the first few gears and have not noticed any torque steer, even with the Blizzak snow tires on. Granted it does not have a limited slip diff or anything beyond equal length cv shafts, but tracks far better than some of the early, high powered Nissans did. Yes, the entry level sound system is garbage, and nothing to salvage about it for sure. A decent head unit, a set of Infiniti Kappa 6x9’s front and rear with a separate 1k watt 4 channel amp would go a hell of a long way. As far as wind noise, I’ve not found it bad other than driving through Wyoming wind. Considering some additional sound deadening on mine when i do the audio upgrades sine I’ll be in the doors/deck anyways.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts