Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just bought a 2016 Avalon Touring, which had some insane rebates for Black Friday weekend. The test drive was conducted on some back roads and the highways were kind of congested, so I never went above 60mph. Now that I have had the car for a few days, I am noticing a high pitched wind/whistling noise coming from the right passenger side, towards the back of the vehicle--always at highway speeds. I was under impression that the Avalon was supposed to be near silent, but this noise is very distracting. Am I experiencing that mirror noise problem that has been discussed elsewhere on the forum? Is this another problem with this year/model? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If it's towards the back, it's probably not the mirror. That was clearly coming from the front on mine before I fixed it. I'd check all the seals around the back doors/windows/roof antenna and see if anything looks out of place.

·
2016 Avalon Limited
259 Posts
Make the dealer find it and fix it. Then you have a record of it if it becomes a constant issue.

·
PJSMITH
1,585 Posts
Just guessing.

Look at the rear quarter side window. the one behind the rear door.
On certain cars the window is not seated in (flush) at the frame. I noticed it when I was looking at the cars to buy.
I compared both sides and it seemed like the fixed window stuck out a little bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I took it to the dealer and they just said "Hey, it sounds like wind noise to us. Probably normal. I mean, look, the car definitely isn't silent." Since I didn't feel like arguing, I just told them I'd monitor it and bring it in if it gets worse. It is one of those sounds that is irritating when you hear it every day, but not something overly annoying on a short drive where a speed of 65mph-70mph cannot be consistently maintained.

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
the very first thing you should do is go back and test drive an identical avalon.
see if that car has same characteristics. if it is silentt as you wish you then have a complaint as your car should perform similar.
Every time you go in make sure you have a repair order written and get an invoice when finished
in case you have to go through a buyback. if it turns out to be turbulence and is normal look into a Lexus!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the very first thing you should do is go back and test drive an identical avalon.
see if that car has same characteristics. if it is silentt as you wish you then have a complaint as your car should perform similar.
Every time you go in make sure you have a repair order written and get an invoice when finished
in case you have to go through a buyback. if it turns out to be turbulence and is normal look into a Lexus!
Yeah, I did ask them to test drive another Touring but they don't have one on the lot. Hopefully they'll get one soon. It's funny you mentioned Lexus. I am starting to think that this car was deliberately dumbed down to preserve the Toyota/Lexus distinction, rather than being a car that gives you 90% of the luxury experience at a reasonable price. It seems like that was what the Avalon was from the late-90s through the mid-2000s.

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
I'd just go in and drive any new model Avalon and see if they "really are like that".........
if a lower level model is quiet as you want surely the more upscale trim model would be equal if not better
regarding cabin noise.
I would'nt say the Avalon is just a giant corolla nicely trimmed but.........well it is a Toyota. there has to be a
"reason" to justify the premium brand. If avalons were totally equal to lexus in
fit, finish, noise and vibration......ect there would'nt be enough brand distinction.

dont get me wrong I am a toyota guy, and believe in working things through. there really should'nt be an isolated noise from any specific corner on any new car, let alone the "flagship" sedan. I drive a larger heavier SUV (highlander limited) that is 7 model years old with over 100K and I have a smooth driving car, zero noise, straight as an arrow and really rattle free. zero wind or turbulence noise. not all are a disapointment

is there anything on your car added on, anything ? vent visors, an add on antenna? any little thing ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
It's funny you mentioned Lexus. I am starting to think that this car was deliberately dumbed down to preserve the Toyota/Lexus distinction, rather than being a car that gives you 90% of the luxury experience at a reasonable price.
People seem to forget that the Avalon and the Lexus ES350 are built in the same factory in Georgetown, Kentucky and share the same chassis, engine, and driveline, among other things. I doubt that those who work on the Avalon are significantly different in training and skills than those who work on the Lexus. In actual fact, the fit and finish on my Avalon Limited seem perfect to me, and are not inferior to my previous Lexus ES300. I am sorry if you and others are having bad experiences, but I do believe that the quality and reliability of the Avalon is as good or better than the competition. The wind noise you describe is not normal though, and I hope the cause can be found.

Robert N.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
480 Posts
I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. It came with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. The car is very quiet and smooth on the highway. I have 42,000 miles on it and no problems except the seat was too firm for me. I had additional foam added to the driver's seat and that solved the problem. I have talked to at least 10 people who own Avalons and all of them liked their seats so I think the seats is a personal preference. I have no wind noise at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2013- Limited- Blizzard White
22 Posts
If it's towards the back, it's probably not the mirror. That was clearly coming from the front on mine before I fixed it. I'd check all the seals around the back doors/windows/roof antenna and see if anything looks out of place.
How did you fix the issue? I am experiencing it on my 2013 Limited and its driving me nuts. !!

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,638 Posts
If you hear "a high pitched wind/whistling noise" it's a lose window channel seal. If the noise is coming from the front, check a B-pillar part of the front window seal and if the noise is coming from the back window - C-pillar part of the rear window channel seal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you hear "a high pitched wind/whistling noise" it's a lose window channel seal. If the noise is coming from the front, check a B-pillar part of the front window seal and if the noise is coming from the back window - C-pillar part of the rear window channel seal.
I checked the seals thoroughly, and it doesn't seem to be anything remotely loose but I ill take another look. What do you suggest I use to enhance the seal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
ALSO, I rolled the windows down while driving at highway speeds, It did not make any difference what so ever with the amount of low pitched whistling noise, hence, I do not think its the window seal per say. :((

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,638 Posts
ALSO, I rolled the windows down while driving at highway speeds, It did not make any difference what so ever with the amount of low pitched whistling noise, hence, I do not think its the window seal per say. :((
You need to ask someone to ride on the back seat and pinpoint the location of the noise. Could you tell if the noise changes when the temperature drops?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts