Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased a '16 Camry LE. Didn't notice until we finally went on highway and as soon as I get up to 68mph I start to hear a faint high pitch noise that gets a bit louder when we reach 70-73mph. It is constant high pitch noise. When I slow down to get ready to stop it almost sounds like the high pitch sound gets a tad bit lower, as if it is winding down. I have not heard this noise only on the highway going 70-73 (loudest).

We think it is coming from the drivers side possibly behind the steering wheel area or dash.

Took the car to Toy Dealership and Mech said he took it up to 70mph (all he is allowed) and didn't hear any noise.

High pitch noise and don't know how to diagnose this. I went on google and tried my best and stuck here.

2016 Toyota Camry LE less than 1k miles.

I-4cyl 2.5L FWD

This noise is just in the frequency range that drives us nuts and the only thing I am able to do is drive real slow on highway to not hear the noise or blast the radio (headache).

Any help appreciated. Hope I gave you enough info.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Camry
526 Posts
Welcome to Toyotanation!

Is it possible to take a video tape of the noise? It helps if people can hear the noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Toyotanation!

Is it possible to take a video tape of the noise? It helps if people can hear the noise.
Too much road noise to hear it on audio I think but I could try.

I was thinking if it was either transmission, since it almost seem to have a whined down noise when slowing down. Thought about taking it out of gear at higher speed see if noise goes away.

Other thought I had is if it is coming from engine firewall crack or air leaking in?

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry LE
60 Posts
My 2014.5 2.5L LE makes a high pitched whine, it has 22k on it. It appears to be around 2 to 3kHz or so in frequency and its loudness varies with engine speed. It is most definitely coming from under the hood though.

My assumption is that it is an accessory, or idler pulley.

My smart phone, an LG G2, has a feature on the camera (in video mode) to zoom in the audio. I have used it in the past to zero in on and isolate strange sounds. You might give it a try with your phone, if it has that feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2014.5 2.5L LE makes a high pitched whine, it has 22k on it. It appears to be around 2 to 3kHz or so in frequency and its loudness varies with engine speed. It is most definitely coming from under the hood though.

My assumption is that it is an accessory, or idler pulley.

My smart phone, an LG G2, has a feature on the camera (in video mode) to zoom in the audio. I have used it in the past to zero in on and isolate strange sounds. You might give it a try with your phone, if it has that feature.
I only have an old Galaxy S2 and it does have video but not aware of any special features like zoom to audio.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What did you problem turn out to be or were you able to find out what it was or get it fixed?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
It could be be a loose bearing from your belts. These bearings could be in the alternator, water pump, or pulleys that guide the fan belts. Turn your car on, find the throttle control lever and if the noise happens when you rev the engine, then it is a loose bearing from one of your belts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be be a loose bearing from your belts. These bearings could be in the alternator, water pump, or pulleys that guide the fan belts. Turn your car on, find the throttle control lever and if the noise happens when you rev the engine, then it is a loose bearing from one of your belts.
Can you elaborate sorry, I don't know what the throttle control lever is in this car. I thought this is all drive by wire.
Do you think that could be the problem even though I hear it at 70mph?
Thanks for response.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Camry
526 Posts
Basically what Sophear Vong is saying is rev the engine with the hood open and see if you can isolate the noise.

I'm assuming the car drives fine otherwise. If so, you do have the 3 yr/36k mile warranty and a free maintenance at 5,000 miles. Plenty of time to figure it out and have the dealership fix it for free.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dont k ow if its any of that... OP can you confirm if you reasonably think its anything mentioned above.

I have a 2016 SE with aboit 1200 miles on the clock... i also hear a faint "on and off" high pitch whine/bell/vibration for lack of a better description. I posted a while back that i thoughr it might be the radio/speakers and the fact that as i can see there is no way to cut power/power down the radio completely. I have sensitive hearing and at idle i can definately hear the radio "static" noise. Less so when i am moving but still there.

Other than that the only other thing it sounds like to me is interior panels perhaps rubbing/squeeking...

I havent dove into far enough to rule out stupid things like coins in the cup holder or something of thaf sort either. But it sounds like my phantom noise is coming from the same spot yours is... driver side in front of steering column/panels/dash. (I havent sat anywhere else in the car while it was moving however)

I wont be back with my car until monday, but does anyone know of there is a fuse for the radio that can be pulled from the panel in order to completely shut off the radio. Toycam, this may be one place for you to start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont k ow if its any of that... OP can you confirm if you reasonably think its anything mentioned above.

I have a 2016 SE with aboit 1200 miles on the clock... i also hear a faint "on and off" high pitch whine/bell/vibration for lack of a better description. I posted a while back that i thoughr it might be the radio/speakers and the fact that as i can see there is no way to cut power/power down the radio completely. I have sensitive hearing and at idle i can definately hear the radio "static" noise. Less so when i am moving but still there.

Other than that the only other thing it sounds like to me is interior panels perhaps rubbing/squeeking...

I havent dove into far enough to rule out stupid things like coins in the cup holder or something of thaf sort either. But it sounds like my phantom noise is coming from the same spot yours is... driver side in front of steering column/panels/dash. (I havent sat anywhere else in the car while it was moving however)

I wont be back with my car until monday, but does anyone know of there is a fuse for the radio that can be pulled from the panel in order to completely shut off the radio. Toycam, this may be one place for you to start.
The problem I have is when driving at highway speeds both of us hear a high pitch sound driving around 70-73mph it is most noticeable.

I think I can rule out the radio because we turn on the radio to try and drown out the noise.

Still waiting for the dealership to call and set up an appointment to have mech test drive with me.

Otherwise I don't hear the sound at low speed, can't duplicate at lower speeds or in my garage.

Almost think it is related to a moving part because it does make a sound as you get off the gas and let the car coast.

The issue is the annoying high pitch sound you start to notice it after awhile when driving 70-73mph on highway. At first its not as noticeable but once it gets quiet you can hear it drives us nuts.

If it isn't mechanical maybe air hitting the right spot somewhere to create that sound???

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Basically what Sophear Vong is saying is rev the engine with the hood open and see if you can isolate the noise.

I'm assuming the car drives fine otherwise. If so, you do have the 3 yr/36k mile warranty and a free maintenance at 5,000 miles. Plenty of time to figure it out and have the dealership fix it for free.
** UPDATE **

I took the car on highway again and this time after hearing the high pitch noise I took the car out of gear and into Neutral and the high pitch noise went away.

I still haven't received a call from Toy SVC Dept to get a test drive with me in the car.

Not sure what to do now.:frown:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Toy Svc did a test ride with me and stated the noise is definitely transmission whine. We took out another 2016 Camry from dealership, same engine and tran. Took out on highway and this car made the same noise. Tech said he would write up a report for Toyota and get back as soon as TMC gives him further instructions. Ticket is open waiting for a solution. The more complain about this hopefully TMC will be forced to come up with a fix.

As far as road shutter I couldn't duplicate when Tech was in car.

Tech had Tech Stream hooked up and nothing came up. But the high pitch sound was replicable in my car and a new '16 at dealership. Strange enough when tech stream was hooked up while we were driving the shutter feeling and shifting went smooth which is almost like the car is behaving when Tech Stream is hooked up. Odd???

*** QUESTION: Any suggest a good after market Teach Stream product??? Tech Stream new is over $5k with tough book. I already have a notebook just looking for a good alternative cable and software that can give me abilities to record data like tech stream.

TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I have the same transaxle whine in my 2016 RAV4 LE ( Same engine and tranny as Camry ) and just got back from Toyota service with the same results as toycam16. They heard it loud and clear and are baffled ! They took out a hot off the truck 2017 Rav and heard the same whine ? Now they are leaving an open ticket and notifying TMC waiting for further action.
Was good to get quality service and not the usual run around or we heard nothing routine. They are guessing Toyota made a few modifications to the U760 transaxle to get a few more mpg's out of the engine ? Possibly pump pressure adjustments or slight mods to gear ratios not realizing the noisy consequences.
I own a 2013 and a 2015 Rav with no whine at all and this noise drives me nuts ! I really hope they come up with a solution fast ?
Anyone wuth the 2AR-FE engine and U760 transaxle experiencing the whine should get it checked and documented asap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
I have the same transaxle whine in my 2016 RAV4 LE ( Same engine and tranny as Camry ) and just got back from Toyota service with the same results as toycam16. They heard it loud and clear and are baffled ! They took out a hot off the truck 2017 Rav and heard the same whine ? Now they are leaving an open ticket and notifying TMC waiting for further action.
Was good to get quality service and not the usual run around or we heard nothing routine. They are guessing Toyota made a few modifications to the U760 transaxle to get a few more mpg's out of the engine ? Possibly pump pressure adjustments or slight mods to gear ratios not realizing the noisy consequences.
I own a 2013 and a 2015 Rav with no whine at all and this noise drives me nuts ! I really hope they come up with a solution fast ?
Anyone wuth the 2AR-FE engine and U760 transaxle experiencing the whine should get it checked and documented asap.

Hey thanks for the reply. I have had mine road tested with the Tech and he found the same issue with another cam'16 'SE model with only 1K miles.

Called TMC and they set up a ticket but will call them back. Toy mech said he said problem although duplicable he said problem is indicative of this model and I think he closed the ticket.

I am not done yet. I will call back TMC and tell them fix it because we can't stand the high pitch noise anymore.

This is not good buying a new car and having a whine.

Glad you complained I will push this until they fix this. The more people post and complain to TMC & Dealership the better chance of them making this a case that they will have to acknowledge and find a fix for this.

This is ridiculous having to deal with this when you buy a new car.

Toyota seems to be riddled with the Transmission problems for years now and it keeps multiplying, after fixing on Trans problem new ones pop up.

Please post any updates if you or any has more info, love to hear of it and any advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toycam16 no problem and I will post here with updates. Funny because I am not getting much input on the Rav4 forums, more people are concerned about etune and blue tooth problems than mechanical problems ???
This is my 4th Toyota and never been so disappointed, all my other Rav4's have been flawless, smooth and quiet and just can't understand why they would do this to their transaxles. The dealer told me to call them at the end of the month if I don't hear from them, I just wonder where they will go with it ? They didn't even check the transaxle fluid which is like a 2 hr job.........rediculous ! No transmission should whine like these and how could they say it's normal in any way, guess it's gonna be a long road and like you I ain't backing down until they have a fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Camry owner here (2015 XLE) with the same problem being discussed in this thread: a high-pitch whine between 65 and 70 mph, in my case when very lightly pressing the throttle. The whine is in the transmission or differential, with my guess being the latter.

I was able to replicate the problem for Toyota service this morning. The service guy in the car with me said Toyota might replace the transmission, but they would install a remanufactured transmission if they did. He wasn't terribly impressed with the problem, claiming that some all-wheel-drive cars whine a lot more.

That said, I am like the RAV4 owner above. I currently own three Camrys: a 1992 with 310,000 miles that I drive daily to work, a 2000 with 225,000 miles that my kids drive, and the 2015 with 20,000 miles that my wife drives. This transmission whine problem is unique to the 2015 Camry and it drives me nuts on the highway. If Toyota can't fix the problem (or puts in a reman that is junk), this car will be the end of the line for me and Camrys, and maybe the end of the line for me with Toyota.

The car has other problems, e.g. clumsy shifting relative to the older Camrys, rattles in the dash, etc., but I am focused on the transmission whine.

The dealer is going to file a TAS case for my problem next week. Let's stay in contact about how this problem is resolved, or not resolved, for everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Iaacjones, I feel your pain and will keep posting till I get this resolved in some way.
I called my dealership last Thursday to follow up on the report they sent to TMC and the Service rep told me to call back on Tuesday because a rep will be coming out to discuss the issue with them. Don't know if they are starting to give me the run around or just buying time on this issue ? Either way I'm not letting up ! I have been holding off on calling TMC myself due to respect for the dealership and giving them the chance to make it right but my patience is running thin. If a transaxle replacement is the plan it better be brand new from Toyota since this whine was there from day one ! I can see if I had 30,000 miles or so on it but this was a factory defect from the start so give me what I payed for.
I'm not going to get my hopes up and feel this will be a difficult battle, I wish I could live with it but this whine through so many rpm's and at cruise is driving me nuts !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another Camry owner here (2015 XLE) with the same problem being discussed in this thread: a high-pitch whine between 65 and 70 mph, in my case when very lightly pressing the throttle. The whine is in the transmission or differential, with my guess being the latter.

I was able to replicate the problem for Toyota service this morning. The service guy in the car with me said Toyota might replace the transmission, but they would install a remanufactured transmission if they did. He wasn't terribly impressed with the problem, claiming that some all-wheel-drive cars whine a lot more.

That said, I am like the RAV4 owner above. I currently own three Camrys: a 1992 with 310,000 miles that I drive daily to work, a 2000 with 225,000 miles that my kids drive, and the 2015 with 20,000 miles that my wife drives. This transmission whine problem is unique to the 2015 Camry and it drives me nuts on the highway. If Toyota can't fix the problem (or puts in a reman that is junk), this car will be the end of the line for me and Camrys, and maybe the end of the line for me with Toyota.

The car has other problems, e.g. clumsy shifting relative to the older Camrys, rattles in the dash, etc., but I am focused on the transmission whine.

The dealer is going to file a TAS case for my problem next week. Let's stay in contact about how this problem is resolved, or not resolved, for everyone.
Glad they are opening a case the more the better.

Your problem is not unique to just 2015. I know a few others that have that year and they haven't heard any whine.

So far it seems like user: Rav4Drummer we have the same Tranny and that it is a problem with this model transmission.

I was also told the same thing that they would put in a reman-transmission ONLY if TMC decided to. In my case they didn't.

Here is the issue: Besides its not normal to hear that high pitch whine, we were able to duplicate this whine with another '16 Camry on the dealership lot. So the mech said it is indicative of this model car and that was the end of it.

Even if everyone has a whine TMC won't do anything about it unless enough people complain and even then they might come out with a fix but they might make you pay if you want it fixed.. In other words, if it doesn't cause loss of life or damage the car they might just say deal with it.

This is very frustrating since Toyota won't admit it is a problem they won't do a recall and you can't call it a lemon unless you can find a mechanic that would state it is a problem. Even then not sure what can be done about it.

Stinks and I agree with you Toyota is turning into a problem child. They haven't seem to fix their transmission problems, this isn't the only year they had Torque Converter issues on the '14 Camry and Tacoma has had issues also.

Thanks for the post and yes let us all keep each other updated and please open up a TKT with TMC and the dealership so it is on their radar.

Sick and tired of being a beta tester for what seems a bad engineering design. Too much money to spend to have to put up with this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts