Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update-
I had a discussion with my service rep and they are pretty much telling me to turn on the radio to drown it out ? I am furious and not sure where to go now ? Guess I will be calling TMC myself but I'm horrified of the thought of a tranny replacement since reading a review about this same issue on edmunds.com ( under 2016 RAV4 ), the poster had his tranny replaced and still has the whining issue ! I just don't understand how Toyota thinks this should be normal and at this point I just want to get rid of this thing !

I left my own review of the 2016 RAV4 on edmunds just to warn others -

This is my 4th RAV 4 and Loved them so much until the 2016 model drastically let me down along with Toyota Motor Corporation. I was in joy as I left the dealer lot with my shiny new RAV and loved everything about it , driving it around for a week or so and the clock around 500 miles I noticed this horrible ear piercing whine coming from the Transmission ? I immediately took her back to the dealer and gave them all the specifics of what I was hearing and concerned a catastrophic failure was to come ! They had the vehicle all day test driving and confirming the whine was present at all the specific areas I pointed out - a high pitch whine right before shifting to 2nd and 3rd as well as a horrible drone type whine between 40 and 50 mph and again on deceleration from 65 to 60 mph ??? They also confirmed it on another new 2017 on their lot that they took for a test drive ? I was happy the dealership took the time to look into this and confirmed this horrible noise but as of now it is an open case with Toyota Motor Corp. and doesn't seem to be going anywhere as they pretty much are telling me to live with it. I own this vehicle less than a month and hate it with a passion as I feel like I'm driving a city bus whining my way down the road ! I am disgusted with Toyota's QC and how I read of so many others with the same issue.......my 2013 and 2015 have the same engine and tranny and are so smooth and quiet, so how can they say this can be normal ? This will be my last Toyota if I can get rid of it without taking too much of a beating. Also keep in mind a tranny replacement for this vehicle requires the entire engine to be dropped out from the bottom which also means tearing apart the entire front suspension system. So think twice if thinking of purchasing a 2016 or 2017 RAV4 and take it for a long long test drive before handing over a dime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Update-
I had a discussion with my service rep and they are pretty much telling me to turn on the radio to drown it out ? I am furious and not sure where to go now ? Guess I will be calling TMC myself but I'm horrified of the thought of a tranny replacement since reading a review about this same issue on edmunds.com ( under 2016 RAV4 ), the poster had his tranny replaced and still has the whining issue ! I just don't understand how Toyota thinks this should be normal and at this point I just want to get rid of this thing !
Agreed! I was told the same thing, turn on the radio. Tech said TMC rep said do nothing. The noise is much louder now at 37mph and @ 68mph-73mph. Peak noise or loudest at 71mph.

Toy needs to fix this. I opened a case but Toyota Customer care said they leave it up to the dealership and that is as far as it goes, period.

In town not as bad highway whine. Can't believe they let this through.

Need more people to file a case with Toyota to get this fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called TMC and opened a case today as they did see the original work order from my local dealer. I stated my case just as they wrote in the report but reiterated that it's getting worse and it's causing me to drive over the speed limit to avoid hearing it, They are forwarding my case to a higher level since this issue can effect driving habits in an unsafe way.
I'm supposed to hear back from them in 24 hours ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I stated my case just as they wrote in the report but reiterated that it's getting worse and it's causing me to drive over the speed limit to avoid hearing it, They are forwarding my case to a higher level since this issue can effect driving habits in an unsafe way.
I'm supposed to hear back from them in 24 hours ?
Good point I have found I have to drive faster to lessen the noise which is not good. Once I get it up to about 76mph it isn't as bad but faintly their.

Hope you get something back good because I was told by TMC that their is nothing they can do it is up to the dealership to communicate with their TMC service rep and they dictate what they will and will not do.

Please post your results and I may do the same if you have success.

Loved the car but with this noise this is causing me to loose my trust and get rid of Toyota all together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an update about my 2015 Camry XLE.

First, based on some of the recent posts on this thread, let me clarify that the whine I am referring to is ONLY present between 65 and 70 mph, with it being loudest at 65. Even then it is faint, and only when very lightly pressing on the accelerator. The reason I find it annoying is that (a) I begin to fixate on it, (b) it encourages me to either drive too fast or too slow on the 65 mph highway through town so that the whine goes away, and (c) it sure sounds like a miscut gear in the differential, which indicates poor Toyota production quality. I own three Camry's (a 1992, a 2000, and this 2015), and the 2015 if the only one with this whine.

With that said, the dealer called me back and left a message saying that they created a case number with TMC and called TMC. It sounds like TMC instructed the dealer to drive another Camry and listen for the same whine. The dealer said they heard the whine in another Camry (presumably a 2016) and therefore the whine is a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle. Case closed.

I know TMC is trying to avoid warranty costs, but their approach here seems pretty poor. A customer says they are unhappy with something, TMC deems that the something is a "normal characteristic" with virtually no investigating, and the customer is left unhappy with the vehicle. No attempt is made to understand the root cause of what is making the customer unhappy so that the problem can be, at a minimum, corrected on the production line. Is that really how TMC wants to operate?

I will talk with the dealer next week and report anything more that I find out.

As I've said in a previous post, this could be the end of the line for me with Camrys. A long-term customer and advocate for Camrys will be lost by TMC. Beyond the whine, the transmission on this car has other issues: it shifts poorly between 1st and 2nd, often jumps through 3rd and goes to 4th prematurely, shifts abruptly when cold, and downshifts prematurely when coasting to a stop resulting in non-smooth deceleration, whether braking or not.

BTW, I am renting a Camry for a day from Avis tomorrow. I'm curious if it will have the whine and all of the other poor transmission behaviors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have an update about my 2015 Camry XLE.

First, based on some of the recent posts on this thread, let me clarify that the whine I am referring to is ONLY present between 65 and 70 mph, with it being loudest at 65. Even then it is faint, and only when very lightly pressing on the accelerator. The reason I find it annoying is that (a) I begin to fixate on it, (b) it encourages me to either drive too fast or too slow on the 65 mph highway through town so that the whine goes away, and (c) it sure sounds like a miscut gear in the differential, which indicates poor Toyota production quality. I own three Camry's (a 1992, a 2000, and this 2015), and the 2015 if the only one with this whine.

With that said, the dealer called me back and left a message saying that they created a case number with TMC and called TMC. It sounds like TMC instructed the dealer to drive another Camry and listen for the same whine. The dealer said they heard the whine in another Camry (presumably a 2016) and therefore the whine is a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle. Case closed.
The whine we are all experiencing is the same whether at 65 or 68 or 71mph.

So no need to clarify. You are correct that Toyota is dismissing this issue since most of their vehicles are doing this.

The idea of having to drive faster to avoid the noise is Dangerous, unreasonable and not a normal characteristic of any vehicle especially if it can cause the driver to drive more aggressively or forcing you to change your driving habits.

This needs to be addressed.

We need more people like yourself to bring this up to Toyota so that a fix can be implemented.

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE
3 Posts
I notice a similar issue with my '14 Camry SE 2.5L. Once I get it up to about 75 MPH on the highway, i hear a high pitched almost whistling sound. It's pretty unbearable. I assumed it was the way the air was traveling across the car, but I will have to check the transmission next time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I notice a similar issue with my '14 Camry SE 2.5L. Once I get it up to about 75 MPH on the highway, i hear a high pitched almost whistling sound. It's pretty unbearable. I assumed it was the way the air was traveling across the car, but I will have to check the transmission next time.
Whistling sound might just be transmission whine. This is what those of us here have been posting. The car speed varies between cars. When you put the car into Neutral while hearing the sound if the sound does go away then you probably have the same issue, Transmission Whine.

If you do notice this please report it to TMC and your Toy Dealer have them open a case so this can get fixed.

Thanks for your post, please follow up with us here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Updates??

Has anyone had anything change with the transmission whine issue??

So far I hear Rav4 & Camry issues from 2014-2017 so far.

I haven't heard any fixes from the local toy dealership.

TMC hasn't been any help at all. They just refer me back to the dealership.

This is deffinately effecting the way we drive on the highway.

Also, I am hearing the same whine at around 35-39mph no matter what gear it even whines down as you get off the gas.

Press harder on the pedal and it isn't as noticeable. Drive consistant speed of 35-39mph or 65-74mph and the sound is high pitch and annoying.

Drive lower than speed limit 50-60mph and it isn't as noticeable.

This really bad. I would like TMC to start taking us seriously.

I may have to escalate this issue to someone who will listen. :frown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Updates??

Has anyone had anything change with the transmission whine issue??

So far I hear Rav4 & Camry issues from 2014-2017 so far.

I haven't heard any fixes from the local toy dealership.

TMC hasn't been any help at all. They just refer me back to the dealership.

This is deffinately effecting the way we drive on the highway.

Also, I am hearing the same whine at around 35-39mph no matter what gear it even whines down as you get off the gas.

Press harder on the pedal and it isn't as noticeable. Drive consistant speed of 35-39mph or 65-74mph and the sound is high pitch and annoying.

Drive lower than speed limit 50-60mph and it isn't as noticeable.

This really bad. I would like TMC to start taking us seriously.

I may have to escalate this issue to someone who will listen. :frown:
Hey, any update about this issue? Now I have the same issue with my 17 camry xle after it hits 53k miles.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, any update about this issue? Now I have the same issue with my 17 camry xle after it hits 53k miles.....
T-SB 0069-14
This is a Toyota Service Bulletin relative to the high pitch whining we all are hearing.
I own a 2012 Camry XLE (4 cyl, AT) with 140k miles. I noticed it after I bought my Camry @80k and the stealership said it was “normal” on Camry’s. Well the noise is getting louder and louder and now I have got to fix it or trade it.
The part = $300 and the labor is $300. Funny thing :-( Toyota won’t assure me that this will fix my problem.
None of the 4 local Toyota stealerships in the Mpls area have even sold this part yet alone replaced one.
Looks like I am going to have to buy one off the web and replace it myself for about $200 + shipping and some time and effort.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
T-SB 0069-14
This is a Toyota Service Bulletin relative to the high pitch whining we all are hearing.
I own a 2012 Camry XLE (4 cyl, AT) with 140k miles. I noticed it after I bought my Camry @80k and the stealership said it was “normal” on Camry’s. Well the noise is getting louder and louder and now I have got to fix it or trade it.
The part = $300 and the labor is $300. Funny thing :-( Toyota won’t assure me that this will fix my problem.
None of the 4 local Toyota stealerships in the Mpls area have even sold this part yet alone replaced one.
Looks like I am going to have to buy one off the web and replace it myself for about $200 + shipping and some time and effort.
Hope this helps :)
Wow, thank you sooo much for the detailed service bulletin. According to that, it seems this issue should not affect 2017 Camry emmmmmmmm. Maybe I should explore more possibilities which results in the continuing rattle near dashboard while car is at high speed.

Yeah, pretty sorry to hear that your car is already out of warranty. Wish you a good luck on trying to replace it by yourself! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was under my 2.5l 2015 Camry last week and found a loose plastic cover on the torque converter bellhousing casting.

It's a 2-1/2" snap-in square of hard black plastic with three snap retention prongs, and disturbingly loose-fitting in the aluminum casting. I imagined it could produce high-frequency sounds when it rattled. I have enough rattling already(!) from the driver's side visor mirror.

So I removed it and gooped up three locations around it's perimeter with silicone RTV glue.
I let this cure for 20 minutes then snapped it back in place.
I was careful not to fully seal it, since I thought that heated-air pressure might possibly build up and harm the seals on either side of the torque converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was under my 2.5l 2015 Camry last week and found a loose plastic cover on the torque converter bellhousing casting.

It's a 2-1/2" snap-in square of hard black plastic with three snap retention prongs, and disturbingly loose-fitting in the aluminum casting. I imagined it could produce high-frequency sounds when it rattled. I have enough rattling already(!) from the driver's side visor mirror.

So I removed it and gooped up three locations around it's perimeter with silicone RTV glue.
I let this cure for 20 minutes then snapped it back in place.
I was careful not to fully seal it, since I thought that heated-air pressure might possibly build up and harm the seals on either side of the torque converter.
Thanks for the thought. I’ll be going over everything under my Camry to make certain there isn’t anything loose or rattling including lifting the front end of the vehicle and check out any play in the wheels or linkage this weekend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I actually noticed the whine today for the very first time, yes, while traveling around 70mph.

The noise definitely tended to fade in and out of being audible, every ten or fifteen seconds I'd say.
I at first thought it was the passing cars and trucks that were the source of the noise.

This however was not nearly an annoying level of noise. But I suppose it might get worse, even as I recently ran 10 quarts of new WS fluid through my car's transmission. Mine is a 2015 LE with just 25k on it.

I did turn off the AC at one point, to see if the AC cycling was the source of the noise, but no change occurred with respect to the very high-pitched whistling sort of noise.

So just what is the $300 part that is supposed to fix this?

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Camry LE
49 Posts
I had this problem on a 2014 LE 2.5...Bought new and the whine was present from 60 mph and up...As I put more miles on it (drove 90 miles a day) the sound got worst...Took it to original dealer where I bought for first oil change(Longo Toyota in El Monte CA) and nothing done...In 2016 I had 47,500 miles and the noise started at 40mph and up....Made a appointment at Thousand Oaks Toyota and a factory rep looked and drove it...Noted the noise but said nothing can be done...I was done as I spent two hours a day in the car and traded it in on a 2016 Subaru Legacy AWD...Love it and it has 86,000 miles on it...Now retired from work so the car just sits under a car cover out on the street...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks, MonkeyWrench111 for the bulletin. I noticed that the bulletin referenced a possible correlation between the transmission fluid (level) and the noise, specifically that the fluid be "adjusted" and the car then re-tes.
This is interesting as I just went through the level procedure with great care and preparation by assuring my IR thermometer was calibrated and that my car was perfectly level.

I'm not thinking that the noise I heard had to be coming from the transmission though. That is probably one of the last things that I would have guessed to be the source of this noise.
Thinking that the alternator or other ancillary spinning component would more likely make such a high-pitched whistling noise.

I will be keeping an ear on this over time, and may try adjusting the trans fluid level for fun.

Since I don't usually drive on the freeway for more than 15 minutes at a time, I would never notice this, unless (like yesterday) I were to drive out toward the coast.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts