Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so i was wondering if anyone here knew how to modify the backup camera so that i could view it while driving, kinda like a rear view monitor camera and for a backup camera. I recently test drove a tesla model X and i really liked how it had the full time rear camera on so i could see behind me and i thought since my car is equipped with a rear camera i could somehow modify it so that i can have the rear camera on while i'm driving forward to just view behind me. Sorry if this is kinda confusing i just want to know if anyone here can help with my little idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
'13 XLE TAH
739 Posts
Someone with a wiring diagram will have to give you a detailed answer, but a simple answer is to disconnect the hot wire feed to the camera from the transmission reverse light switch/wire and connect it to the run position on the ignition switch. The headlights behind you might be a little blinding at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! I am new to this forum. Toyota camry headunit has a hidden feature for audio and video input. The all you need is a special harness to plug into the 28 pin jack behind the head unit. Then the display will increase one more slot for the AV source you put in.

The cable link is here from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-Video-Au...316018?hash=item3d1f6e2072:g:mPIAAOSwz2lXC-Fs
So are you saking if I buy that thing I'll be able to do what I'm trying to do?

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,818 Posts
So are you saking if I buy that thing I'll be able to do what I'm trying to do?
You're going to loose everything else on your screen when it is on. Factory and some aftermarket use a 6V trigger not 12V.
Once you get past that, I'd find a dash switch that fits on if the unused blanks, or hide a bush button switch on the bottom facing dash panel or inside the console drawer. Then turn on and off when you want.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind if my whole screen went to the rear camera view. But only when I pressed the button is the only time I'd want it to happen then click it again and it goes back to normal radio or whatever. Is that what you are saying I could do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.