Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Very frustrated. My 2016 Corolla I just got/financed last year (used) had the transmission go out and the dealer says it's $8,000 to fix. Took to another shop and they said $7,500.

I entered my vin at toyota.com/recall and received the message, "There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."

From my Google/Youtube search it looks like there might be others with CVT transmission problems, but I really haven't seen others who have had their tranny malfunction like mine has. I just can't understand how a Toyota can crap out like that. The reason I bought the car is because Toyota's are known to last well beyond 200,000 miles.

I feel so f'ed with the auto loan and a car that doesn't work. It has 80,000 miles and the warranty was over at 75,000 miles.

==> Any advice on what to do about a Toyota that craps out this early? Anybody else have problems with their Corolla CVT transmission? Any resolutions?

I was curious if there were even enough people out there that had their cvt transmissions give them problems to start a class action lawsuit? I don't know...seriously in shock that the transmission went out and I feel screwed.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any tips.

Registered
That sucks man. Probably the previous owner drove it like he stole it. Hope u figure it out.

Some people buy CVt from junkyard and get it done at their private mechanic. Cheaper than going to dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Pray that it鈥檚 just the valve body and get a valvebody from wherever(cheaper than whole tranny) and install diy or private mechanic

Registered
I was curious if there were even enough people out there that had their cvt transmissions give them problems to start a class action lawsuit?
What鈥檚 the exact diagnostic to justify replacement with no repair option? Replacements aren鈥檛 that common in the first place on forums and you鈥檇 have to gather specific and common info for a class action. Not an easy task. $8K is way over the top anyway. A used unit can be find for less than $1K (plus time). Is it a high mileage car? Because it鈥檚 still within the 5 years warranty plus the 1 year CPO (if it wasn鈥檛 certified pre owned, it might say something about the condition the previous owner left the car鈥).

Diehard Rams Fan
$1500 sounds decent. Done deal.

Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
A 2016 with 80k miles is insane. Why would you even finance something with over 10k miles per year??

Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
The dealer is always going to be the most expensive option for repairs.

There are places to find a cvt unit. There's LKQ aka keystone automotive, full service junkyards, car-part.com, self service junkyards/row52. The final option, find a donor car on CL.

Registered
you need to verify with the toyota dealership that the firmware update was done on that transmission. they had a firmware patch that kept the solenoids from wearing out. do you know what specifically is messed up on your CVT?

Diehard Rams Fan
with that said and done, he still needs to make sure that the firmware patch was/is done so the new transmission doesn't have issues as well
Very true, good point.

Registered
He didn鈥檛 even specify what symptom of failure he had lol

thus my question. because Toyota has been doing CVTs for a LONG time, i had one in my prius and it was bullet proof. i know the 11th gen corolla had a firmware issue that caused the solenoids to be overworked and fail prematurely, but there is a fix for it at the dealership.

Registered
thus my question. because Toyota has been doing CVTs for a LONG time, i had one in my prius and it was bullet proof. i know the 11th gen corolla had a firmware issue that caused the solenoids to be overworked and fail prematurely, but there is a fix for it at the dealership.
Valvebody costs 500$ at dealership. And you can install yourself. I have the instructional manual from Toyota how to install valvebody. Only thing needed is to program the valvebody lol

Registered
Valvebody costs 500$ at dealership. And you can install yourself. I have the instructional manual from Toyota how to install valvebody. Only thing needed is to program the valvebody lol

do you know if their firmware fix would be included in the programming of the valvebody, if replaced?

Registered
I had my valvebody replaced for a TSB 鈥淗iss鈥 and I checked my CVt calibration using my hacked Techstream and it is still the same calibration with the JSD.

Registered
Prius planetary CVT and Corolla CVT are different transmissions though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts