Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Dang.. well in what way are they different?
Prius CVT has less parts and works off a planetary gear system connected to both electric and ICE motors. There is less friction in the transmission than the standard belt driven CVT found in the Corolla which also has a first gear.

Here鈥檚 the link to more info: http://web.archive.org/web/20031010025736/home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyotaPrius/Understanding/PowerSplitDevice.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
What鈥檚 the exact diagnostic to justify replacement with no repair option? Replacements aren鈥檛 that common in the first place on forums and you鈥檇 have to gather specific and common info for a class action. Not an easy task. $8K is way over the top anyway. A used unit can be find for less than $1K (plus time). Is it a high mileage car? Because it鈥檚 still within the 5 years warranty plus the 1 year CPO (if it wasn鈥檛 certified pre owned, it might say something about the condition the previous owner left the car鈥).
Don't have it yet. Have my car at the shop still and won't have the info until I go back to the dealer/shop. Will post update when I get the info.

Diehard Rams Fan
thus my question. because Toyota has been doing CVTs for a LONG time, i had one in my prius and it was bullet proof. i know the 11th gen corolla had a firmware issue that caused the solenoids to be overworked and fail prematurely, but there is a fix for it at the dealership.
Keep in mind that the Prius uses a planetary gear type of CVT compared to the Corolla using a more traditional CVT. The planetary CVT is as bulletproof and reliable as they come and it's the only type of CVT that I will buy. I think that the Corolla CVT is okay from a design standpoint but I just don't like them. I'll stick with a MT or planetary CVT.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts