Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I recently bought a 2016 Corolla LE with about 45,000 miles on it. The car works great, but I have noticed every once in a while (while stopped at a red light/traffic) when the car is in gear (I haven't felt it in park) the car will randomly shudder. It vibrates much stronger than normal and can be felt in the seat and steering. The shudder lasts for a couple seconds, and will happen once or twice a minute. Sometimes, it doesn't happen at all. I thought at first it was the AC compressor switching on, but the shudder occurs even when I turn the climate control off.

I don't have a full history on this vehicle, but looking at the CarFax report I got when I bought it, I don't believe the spark plugs have been changed. It's been over the 30,000 mile recommendation for changing them. Is it possible a bad plug is causing some small misfires?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have noticed every once in a while (while stopped at a red light/traffic) when the car is in gear (I haven't felt it in park) the car will randomly shudder.
Not sure to what extent yours go, but that seem to be common behavior in Corolla (with rpm slightly fluctuating in the 600-700 area).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure to what extent yours go, but that seem to be common behavior in Corolla (with rpm slightly fluctuating in the 600-700 area).
Possibly, but it seemed a bit more intense than what I'd consider normal on a car this new. My last car was a 2004 VW that had really bad misfires at the end of its life, so maybe I'm just really sensitive to that.

Is it still reasonable to change out that spark plugs at 45k miles? I ordered some since I'm planning a bit of a road trip in the next week or so and I don't want things to get worse while I'm away from home.

EDIT: The car stays below 700rpm most of the time. It might be up to about 1000 with the AC compressor turned on. The shudders feel like minor misfires, but I'm not getting any lights or anything.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I highly doubt it's the spark plugs. Yours are probably fine, I don't think they need to be changed this early. These plugs are supposed to be good for 120K, and even then, they are probably in reality good for 150K. My Camry does something similar although it's not too noticeable, when stopped at red lights in gear. You can see the RPMs increase a little, I think the vibration has something to do with the computer telling the car to take in more air to maintain RPMs. If the vibration bothers you, I'd probably first clean the throttle body and replace the air filter to see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
it seemed a bit more intense than what I'd consider normal on a car this new. [...]Is it still reasonable to change out that spark plugs at 45k miles?
Unless you have oil or carbon accumulation, or a bad O2 sensor as underlying problem (or got a bad batch), sparks plugs should last 100K+ (or got a bad batch) but you have nothing to lose by changing them. Misfire may also manifest on acceleration (roughness and weakness). Impossible to say more from just a description and, again, it also may be the typical Corolla behavior of the occasional and slight "stop light" 600/700 rpm shudder (mine does that since new).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
jolly
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing