Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Corolla S. I bought it in May of 2019 for my daughter. In October the alarm started going off and the engine would drag trying to start. I replaced the battery with a higher cranking Amp and it worked for 3 weeks. The car is now having the same problem. I'm putting a battery charger on it every night so my daughters' car will start. Are there issues with the factory alarm system that causes the battery to drain over night? I don't want to keep spending $180 dollars every month or keep using a battery charger. The car will run with everything on with no alarm sounding when I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery after it was started. I did this to test the alternator. Would this eliminate a bad alternator?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Those cars don't have an alarm, just an immobilizer (with the flashing padlock on dashboard). Anything else is aftermarket, even if it was pre-installed by a dealer, which might be problematic. Also check all the charging system, including alternator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alarm book came with Toyota owners' manual and the light is mounted in dash where the extra accessories are mounted left of the steering wheel. I bought the car from a Toyota dealership, the car was a returned lease program car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Alarm book came with Toyota owners' manual and the light is mounted in dash where the extra accessories are mounted left of the steering wheel
Yup... definitely sounds like a cheap aftermarket alarm that some dealers install on all their cars (not necessarily with great care) and charge good fees to "activate". Maybe find a way to uninstall it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,877 Posts
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer to sort it out.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,602 Posts
I had to have the alarm on my 2007 Corolla removed since it had activated the ignition starter kill and wouldn't allow the car to start. Once it was removed the car started right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts