Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Highlander LE and Corolla 2020
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone been able to improve the back cushion of the driver seat in the 2016 Highlander LE ?
It only has 32 K miles but I can feel hard stuffs in my back, can I insert some extra foam in it?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A few months ago there was a thread about seats making noise, since then I had experimented with seats in my area junk yard; they are not easy to mess with..
There are many aftermarket seat covers from surface only coverage to complete slip over even with back/lumbar support etc. from inexpensive to exact fit, a lot of choices and options. One brand I have been quite satisfied with (for my other cars) is by Covercraft.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can't speak directly to the 2016 but my 2011 was not comfortable. It didn't show up in the test drive or on short trips but it was very uncomfortable on long trips. After much fiddling and experimentation, I realized that the issue was twofold... the vertical placement of the lumbar support was too high for my 5' 5" frame AND it could not be retracted far enough. On the 2011 it was fairly easy to open the back of the seat and examine the innards. The lumbar support consisted of an arm welded to a rotating rod. The way it was welded, it could be bent farther in the "retracted" direction. Once I bent it, it seemed to be able to be retracted far enough. But the overall shape of the seat back was still a poor match for me. A thin seat cushion would fix it by raising my overall seating position but I wanted a more permanent solution so I raised the seat bottom about 3/4" by sliding a sheet of stiff polythene (cut from an old wastebasket) under the foam between the underside of the seat cushion and the springs. Then I added two 3/4" wood blocks between the springs and the plastic sheet. That raised the seat bottom about 3/4" and with those two mods, the seat remained comfortable for the rest of the time I owned the vehicle.

Not sure how well this relates to a Gen3 but it might at least help analyze the issue.

I find the 8 way power seat in my current 2017 to be quite comfortable without any modifications if I extend the adjustable front edge of the seat a bit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is the downside to base trim levels, it might appear the only difference is what's mentioned on the spec sheet but seats and other trim could in some cases be built to a lower standard, not just cloth vs leather. It is bit like the argument of why the same model in Canada is more expensive than in the US, could be just exchange rate and taxes etc but quite likely the Canadian models are built to a slightly higher spec to suit customer requirements and conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts