Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From just looking I'd need new front bumper and headlights. Would I need the hood and fenders as well? And tail lights look like the same shape except they are led, would the harness fit into the 2016 harness? The wifey loves the updated look so I'm trying to piece together the parts

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,803 Posts
Why ask why....Bud Dry!
:)

I have a 2014, and the only thing that was holding me back from buying it sooner was the front grill. While I have forgotten about it, and let it grow on me....
If there is a reasonably straight forward way of doing it, I would be doing it too. But new headlights I think would be costly. Then the paint job needs to be perfect to match the rest.... Also, I already got foglights for the older style, and that would be another part for me to get.

There are a few folks that have done some research on this. Used the Advanced Search to pull up what they did.

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
221 Posts
Seems like a lot of investment (time and money) for little reward.... I'd also ask the question, how would this effects the value of the vehicle? My guess is it's likely to have a negative impact on value, especially if there's any imperfections with the finished product.

Might get more bang for your buck with a trade-in for a used 18' (maybe 19') and use those funds towards a down payment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow why didnt I think of that??? Lol. Yes let me go back to 2016 and buy a 2017 when it wasn't even out yet.

I'm almost done paying it off to where it makes no sense buying another one. I've done conversions on other types of cars I've owned and they came out great. I'm just trying to see what parts I need so I can start gathering them.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,803 Posts
If there was a well designed honeycomb mesh grill that takes out the smile with logo, I would easily opt for that, than to "upgrade" the look.
Last time I looked was 4 years ago, and the ones I saw on Ebay were not so nice looking..

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why ask why....Bud Dry!

:)

I have a 2014, and the only thing that was holding me back from buying it sooner was the front grill. While I have forgotten about it, and let it grow on me....

If there is a reasonably straight forward way of doing it, I would be doing it too. But new headlights I think would be costly. Then the paint job needs to be perfect to match the rest.... Also, I already got foglights for the older style, and that would be another part for me to get.

There are a few folks that have done some research on this. Used the Advanced Search to pull up what they did.
THIS.

If he decides to sell in the future/trade in, buyers might suspect it had front end damage that wasn't reported.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,803 Posts
He can video tape the entire thing as a before and after documentary, and all that suspicion is gone.

Also, consider....Lot of Toy owners buy these cars for reliability over time. If you keep your car for less than 4-5 years, who cares what car you buy...you just trade it off anyways...So I dont take resale value in consideration at all. Have not done so in any of the cars.
Besides, why would anyone do this if they werent expecting to do a good job. It does take time to get all the ducks in a row...

The easiest way to do it, is if you had a autobody that can do it all...Order install and paint. But they often work on insurance rates that hardly make sense paying out of pocket.
So next time you get into a little bumper rub, you can ask your local friendly body shop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Search after market parts vendors . They make popular parts that can be checked to fit a span of years. Cheap source for information and parts if needed. Many swear OEM parts are the only way to go. Aftermarket has come a long way in many cases equal or better than production line pieces. I have updated cars in the past with this simple procedure. The third generation HL is popular and many parts should be available.
I see no reason to change our 14 . It performs well and very dependable. Great value remaining is also key. Changing the outward appearance may give some the appearance of a prior serious crash and repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leave it alone - 2016 version looks great too

Wow why didnt I think of that??? Lol. Yes let me go back to 2016 and buy a 2017 when it wasn't even out yet.

I'm almost done paying it off to where it makes no sense buying another one. I've done conversions on other types of cars I've owned and they came out great. I'm just trying to see what parts I need so I can start gathering them.
I'd just live with your 2016 - there's nothing wrong with it. And while the front end is different, in back it doesn't look that different (just lights really). Plus when you trade it in this may affect the value.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd just live with your 2016 - there's nothing wrong with it. And while the front end is different, in back it doesn't look that different (just lights really). Plus when you trade it in this may affect the value.
If it makes you feel any better the new 2020 highlander looks extremely similar to the 2016 face and less so the 17-19 front end. So in a way your 2016 is now closer to the latest design then the 2017 swap would be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
parts needed for conversion, total prices are msrp, on the right is discounted and or aftermarket option, total would be around $1400 plus install and painting the bumper cover. and i forgot the foglights, the foglights are the same except for the outer garnish, not too bad for the price and you can still sell your old parts, headlights and grill part# are for an SE(black)

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is there a year by year lineup of pictures for easy comparison of the different model years? I see people taking about differences that I probably never noticed but now I am curious. Back in the day my first car love was the late sixties through 1976 Caprice models before the awful '77 redesign. I knew all the grills and lights and such, back in the '80s.

Pragmatism set in as I became an adult, and I love my '15 HL XLE.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
1976 Caprice models before the awful '77 redesign.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

In 76 the full size line up was so in need of a restyle. The huge bulky boat design needed refreshing. I drove the 76 and 77s everyday for LE work. Believe me huge difference. Continued 76 design would have been the demise of the name plate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1976 Caprice models before the awful '77 redesign.

Oops, quoted wrong section and can't seem to fix it on my phone. Meant to quote this:

In 76 the full size line up was so in need of a restyle. The huge bulky boat design needed refreshing. I drove the 76 and 77s everyday for LE work. Believe me huge difference. Continued 76 design would have been the demise of the name plate.[/QUOTE]

My first car was a '76 Caprice Estate wagon bought by my parents in ~80 or so. They also had a new-bought '77 Estate wagon. The 77 was a cheap piece of crap that kept breaking and had awful styling . It died well before marking a decade; the '76 was mine until I donated it in still running condition in '95.

Sure, things were changing and the land boats were going towards extinction, due to mileage requirements and such, but the classic look and solid feel of the pre-redesign models was awesome.

Anyway, that was another era, and I wouldn't trade my Highlander for anything.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of your posts are valid. I'd keep all my old parts if I go ahead with the conversion so reselling it wouldn't be a problem. I dont see us selling the car. It's a great car and I see us handing it down to a family member or a soccer mobile, lol. I've had German cars that I've done a facelift too that cost close to 5gs. Nowadays car manufacturers are doing facelifts too damn soon. 3rd gen came out 2014-2016 and then 2017 a better facelift came out. So far from looking at the 2020 it looks ugly to me. I've seen cheap front bumper on Ebay and a upper grille as well. I looked at a 2017 closely over the weekend and to me I think it just needs a front upper grille, bumper and headlights for the front. Dont think I'd need fenders or the hood. And then I'd also get the rear tail lights as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hood, fenders and bumper and impact bar have the same part# from 2014-19, i also forgot the most expensive part is the radar emblem, which is $500 msrp but you can buy used on ebay for a fraction

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hood, fenders and bumper and impact bar have the same part# from 2014-19, i also forgot the most expensive part is the radar emblem, which is $500 msrp but you can buy used on ebay for a fraction
What's a radar emblem??? From what I can tell I'd need front bumper, upper grille and headlights. The rest should be fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts