Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of tire post question come and go so I thought I would add my experience. There probably aren't many highlanders on all terrain tires! My 2017 AWD highlander came with bridgestone ecopia tires which have been really bad on ice and snow. My previous vehicle was a 2009 yukon that had hankook dynapro atm tires that performed great. I didn't want to swap to snow tires so I went with the same tires I loved previously. They are a 255 width as they aren't made in a 245 that the OEM 18"s are. No regrets!

On with the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,174 Posts
Cor....Recall sometime ago, member here installed HKDP's on their HL. I assume tread design gives better traction in snow, but on ice ? Notice any changes like road noise, handling, stopping etc VS oem tires. Tnx

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just got about 6"s of snow overnight and the snow traction is much better. Stopping on ice is better as well but the highlander has overly aggressive anti lock breaks imo. An example of the better traction would be backing out of a parking spot and having the front end skip while turning, the new tires no longer do this. The road noise is definitely higher and the ride was stiffer until I aired them down into the mid 30s instead of low 40 psi. The driving dynamics feel exactly the same with city driving as well as on the interstate. No regrets at this point!

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,814 Posts
Not sure about AT tires, but above 40psi is kinda pushing it. There is a tire thread that someone posted in, and it shows the loss of traction with increased air pressure. This is not good for braking and handling. It can be dangerous. I mention just in case its something overlooked.

I have found with little testing, but some deductive reasoning that 37psi to be a pretty good spot (give or take 1psi) for a balance of grip, even wear, noise, mpg and such on the Michelin Latitude OE tires and the Pirelli Verbe Scorpions (I much prefer the Scorpion over the Latitude in noise and grip. *Wear life yet to be seen).

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of tire post question come and go so I thought I would add my experience. There probably aren't many highlanders on all terrain tires! My 2017 AWD highlander came with bridgestone ecopia tires which have been really bad on ice and snow. My previous vehicle was a 2009 yukon that had hankook dynapro atm tires that performed great. I didn't want to swap to snow tires so I went with the same tires I loved previously. They are a 255 width as they aren't made in a 245 that the OEM 18"s are. No regrets!

On with the pics:
This is great, i posted a thread inquiring about 255 on our HL'S seemed no one knew if the fit without rubbing. Im glad you did it because i pick my HL up today from the dealer (just orderd it) and already have some 255 AT tires on the way to be swapped out. Thanks for the reasurance. This is the look im going for.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also to note, if you actually use a tire size calculator comparison the height difference is about 1% . Comparing the speedo to GPS while doing 75mph the speedo would register almost 2 mph slow. With the slightly larger tires its probably .5mph off.

The tire size is very similar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a 265/60-18 tire. It comes up as an option on some tire sites, and there are a ton of options in this size. They are about .9" bigger in diameter, and many tires have deeper tread. Michelin Defenders have 10.5/32 deep tread in the standard size and 12/32" tread in this size, and the life rating goes from 720 to 800. Plus I bet it just looks better!

·
Registered
17 Posts

On with the pics:
They look great. Now that you have had them for while, any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,174 Posts
HKDPs 255/60-18

The road noise is definitely higher and the ride was stiffer until I aired them down into the mid 30s instead of low 40 psi. The driving dynamics feel exactly the same with city driving as well as on the interstate. No regrets at this point!
Road noise (sound heard inside) from my oem tires increases/decreases, depending on road surface. Increase in noise is definitely louder on rough surface VS smoother. Just wondering do u notice same or just road noise higher regardless of road surface with HKDPs? Tnx.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't really noticed a different in road noise on different surfaces. Overall I have gotten pretty used to the different in road noise from the OEM to these tires.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I currently have 265/60/18 Michelin Latitude Tour HP installed with a matching spare that fits underneath.

I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a 265/60-18 tire. It comes up as an option on some tire sites, and there are a ton of options in this size. They are about .9" bigger in diameter, and many tires have deeper tread. Michelin Defenders have 10.5/32 deep tread in the standard size and 12/32" tread in this size, and the life rating goes from 720 to 800. Plus I bet it just looks better!

Attachments

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,814 Posts
That looks pretty aggressive! Nice looking. I wonder what the road noise will be. Its one thing I cant do is added tire noise.
If I had more use for such beefiness, I would like it on the car. But I am 99% on paved roads, and pretty limited rain fall. So the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires are doing OK. I lost tracking on how they wear as I have a few flats due to nails and such, but I would say they are good to about 50K miles. I drive a bit more aggressive than not, so tight and fast turns and such can really wear them prematurely.

Lets see some pix once thats on the HL!

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,814 Posts
WOW! that does look cool! I can see myself surely black out all that chrome, and then its really a sleeper mean machine.
I notice you have a rear bumper bar of sorts...You must live in NY ? :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts