Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2017 Highlander XLE wouldn't start this morning. I ended up jumping the battery from my truck and got her up and running.

She called the one of the Toyota dealerships here and asked about the replacing the battery. They quoted her about $400 for the battery because it has the stop/start feature. So, she ended up calling another Toyota dealership and they said "no that it's only $199 with installation". She doesn't know who to believe.

Has anyone else replace the battery on their Highlander with the stop/start feature? If so, how much does it really cost?

·
Registered
2019 Highlander XLE Blizzard pearl
884 Posts
My wife's 2017 Highlander XLE wouldn't start this morning. I ended up jumping the battery from my truck and got her up and running.

She called the one of the Toyota dealerships here and asked about the replacing the battery. They quoted her about $400 for the battery because it has the stop/start feature. So, she ended up calling another Toyota dealership and they said "no that it's only $199 with installation". She doesn't know who to believe.

Has anyone else replace the battery on their Highlander with the stop/start feature? If so, how much does it really cost?
$200 for a battery that only lasted 2 years, that is crazy. Did your wife use the stop/start or did she turn it off? My 2019 has a yuasa battery and I would be very disappointed if I only got a couple of years out of a good quality battery like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$200 for a battery that only lasted 2 years, that is crazy. Did your wife use the stop/start or did she turn it off? My 2019 has a yuasa battery and I would be very disappointed if I only got a couple of years out of a good quality battery like that.

She does use it because she didn't think there was an option to disable it. Can you disable this feature?

From what I've read, 2-3 years is common for Texas. Also, she just called up 2 other dealerships and they are all saying about $350-$400 for a battery. She also has a Yuasa battery.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Heat is the biggest killer of batteries. 2 years is way too soon though - even for the deep south.

Here in the North - we average 7-10 years. My original battery on my 14 HL is still strong. I expect another 3-4 years.

One easy way to kill a battery is to drain it. Deep draining a battery can kill it very quickly.

As for replacement....since Toyota isn't replacing it for free...shop around. Most batteries are made by 3 manufacturers. Toyota is made by Johnson Controls.

·
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you can change the battery yourself, go to Autozone. The battery is the AGM type, group size 35. The Duralast Platium Battery is made in Korea. If you are first time shopper, get the First time order discount. That's the best price I can find for a AGM battery when I shop for battery last month.

Remember to use an OBDII battery memory keeper device to save your car's electronic settings.
Edit: Group Size 24F or Size 35 both fits. 24F is longer in length, and has higher power rating.

·
Short Arc Searchlight Fanatic
2017 Limited
231 Posts
If memory serves, it's just a 70 Amp Hour sealed automotive battery. These days, a 70 Amp Hour battery IS a "large capacity battery". Just shop around for a quality 70 Amp Hour battery that has the terminals you need and will physically fit in the tray. Can't imagine you can't find one for $175 - $200 or so plus installation - which is a 5-10 minute, simple job. Be sure you buy one that is AT LEAST 70 Amp Hour capacity. More is better. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is not a measurement of capacity and should not be your primary requirement. It's important but if you get a 70 or more Ah battery, it will provide all the CCA you need. It is getting difficult to find the Amp Hour rating these days. You have to hunt it down. They all want us to look at the CCA.

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
222 Posts
She does use it because she didn't think there was an option to disable it. Can you disable this feature?

From what I've read, 2-3 years is common for Texas. Also, she just called up 2 other dealerships and they are all saying about $350-$400 for a battery. She also has a Yuasa battery.

I live in Texas... I average 3 years on my truck batteries (It’s an 04’ so I’ve replaced it several times). I usually purchase at Sam’s Club, they install them free and offer 3 year free replacement. My last battery failed after 2yrs, & 11 months, and they replaced it at no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
222 Posts

17’s probably began selling in August of 16’, so the battery could be closer to 3 yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Highlander Ltd. AWD
257 Posts
Just wanted to point out that the battery may be fine and you should take it to your local Autozone, Kragen, etc., and have it checked. It could be that your alternator failed prematurely or one of a number of other issues that caused the battery to drain. If you know how to do it, use a voltmeter and see what your alternator is putting out (should be a little over 14VDC) after you get the Highlander started again.

Reactions: rseward

·
Registered
153 Posts
The original battery in my '15 XLE died at about 2 years. AutoZone checked it; defective element inside. Dealer replaced it free. Now it is two years old and I plan to swap it out with the Platinum label battery mentioned above this fall. I don't trust the dealer supplied battery to last; ~$200 is cheap insurance against getting stranded.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was looking at the battery section in the Users Manual last night, and it mentioned that the Start switch remembers the last state it was in when battery is disconnected. Thus, turn off the car completely before disconnect the battery, or you may find it puzzling that the car won't start after battery change. If the car doesn't start, you have to tap the Start switch to Accessory mode, then start the car.

·
Short Arc Searchlight Fanatic
2017 Limited
231 Posts
I should add that I looked at only the Platinum batteries that were listed for specifically the 2017 Limited V6. There are probably other Platinum models that are higher in Ah.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.