Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 Camry that has lots of spots where the clear coat has come off. It’s not peeling off, but looks more like a solvent has splattered on it, it’s on the hood, roof, trunk lid. The car is left in the garage with my 15 corolla, and it has no issues. I think it’s been vandalism or maybe jet fuel from when we parked that car for 2 days at a airport satellite parking lot a couple months ago. Does anyone else have clear coat issues on a 17 Camry ?

·
Registered
738 Posts
It would take a much more aggressive solvent than jet fuel to dissolve or lift the clear coat.

You could get the entire hood re-cleared before much more damage is done to the metallic/color layer. Or maybe go ahead and get the hood fully re-painted (if a clearcoat re-do won't be good enough for your aesthetic sensibilities).

A "blend" repair of the clear-coat is another option, but it will look far from perfect, more or less depending on what color your car is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 17 Camry that has lots of spots where the clear coat has come off. It’s not peeling off, but looks more like a solvent has splattered on it, it’s on the hood, roof, trunk lid. The car is left in the garage with my 15 corolla, and it has no issues. I think it’s been vandalism or maybe jet fuel from when we parked that car for 2 days at a airport satellite parking lot a couple months ago. Does anyone else have clear coat issues on a 17 Camry ?
I have the same issue and vert upset and embarrassed to drive my car. Have asked the dealer for help and they told me to report the issue to Toyota.

Asked repair shops and they all recommend I do Nothing … said repair is expensive and no guarantees it will last.

I can’t imagine what this will do to my trade in value… i am very upset.

What recommendations do you have?

·
Registered
738 Posts
How much time has this car spent outside? Any tree sap falling on it in the past?

Sunlight and tree sap can each degrade clear coat and it's bond to the paint, much worse when the two are combined.

How big of an area is lifting? Is there more than one area?

You can arrest an early-onset case of lifting clear coat with an over-layer of clear. I did this on my black Lincoln and glad that I did as the lifting would have kept spreading. The over-layer did somewhat soak into the lifted clear, which improved the appearance of the affected areas by about 50%.

Please post a photo or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much time has this car spent outside? Any tree sap falling on it in the past?

Sunlight and tree sap can each degrade clear coat and it's bond to the paint, much worse when the two are combined.

How big of an area is lifting? Is there more than one area?

You can arrest an early-onset case of lifting clear coat with an over-layer of clear. I did this on my black Lincoln and glad that I did as the lifting would have kept spreading. The over-layer did somewhat soak into the lifted clear, which improved the appearance of the affected areas by about 50%.

Please post a photo or two.
I WILL POST PICTURES…

CAR IS UNDER A CARPORT EVERY NIGHT AND ON WEEKENDS. NORMALLY PARKED OUTSIDE BUT NEVER UNDERED TREES ETC DURING THE WORK WEEK. COLOR IS BEIGE BUT HAS A GOLD/SILVER METALLIC FINSH

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO MY CAR. MY LOCAL DEALER HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL AND THIS ISSUE IS THE FIRST TIME THAT THEY HAVEN’T JUMPED THRU HOOPES TO HELP ME!

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,424 Posts
I WILL POST PICTURES…

CAR IS UNDER A CARPORT EVERY NIGHT AND ON WEEKENDS. NORMALLY PARKED OUTSIDE BUT NEVER UNDERED TREES ETC DURING THE WORK WEEK. COLOR IS BEIGE BUT HAS A GOLD/SILVER METALLIC FINSH

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO MY CAR. MY LOCAL DEALER HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL AND THIS ISSUE IS THE FIRST TIME THAT THEY HAVEN’T JUMPED THRU HOOPES TO HELP ME!
A few tips:

1) Please don't post in all-caps.
2) Please post in one thread. Right now you have posted this issue in two threads (this one which was created by someone else in 2019 and a second thread that you created yesterday)... that can make it hard for people to follow along and help... and makes it hard for people in the future to use the information posted to help if the issue is happening to them.

Maybe a mod or admin can combine the two threads into one to fix that second issue. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts