Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I am new to this Forum but have been a Camry and T4R owner for many years. I am purchasing a new 2017 Camry XLE with the Smart Key and the Factory Alarm. I would like to install the Toyota remote start which, I believe, is Part#PT398-03120. I can get this for about $300 internet price from Camelback Toyota. Does anybody have any cheaper suggestions? Also, I have reviewed the install instructions and there is a step where you have to hook up the Toyota Factory Scantool (TechStream) and update the ECU Registration ID Communication to get it to recognize the RES module. Don't have the TechStream.....have read elsewhere that this step is not really required....the system will recognize it automatically. Does anyone have experience with this?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
767 Posts
Camry shutdown after remote start

Although I am not familiar with the OEM remote start, I wanted to give you a heads up...

When you remote start a Smart Key Toyota vehicle, the engine shuts off once you open any door or the trunk and there is no way around this limitation. So the vehicle must be started again before driving off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used idatalink module in both my camrys, you need to tap in 7 wires with T-taps-seller will supply if you ask. no cutting and uses exist smart key. I purchased the first one on ebay and the seller gave excellent instructions with pics and prepped the harness to make install a breeze. Cost was $120 if I remember correctly shipped. If interested I will find and send you his seller info. The second camry I bought the module and programming cable and programmed my self. I saved a few bucks this way but the wire prep the ebay seller did was worth the extra money.! He removed all unnecessary wires from harness and then bubbles the The wires into different groups based the 3 different location under dash they were going to.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OmoPastor - Thanks for the heads up on the shutdown when door opened. Will keep it in mind. Buckaroo

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used idatalink module in both my camrys, you need to tap in 7 wires with T-taps-seller will supply if you ask. no cutting and uses exist smart key. I purchased the first one on ebay and the seller gave excellent instructions with pics and prepped the harness to make install a breeze. Cost was $120 if I remember correctly shipped. If interested I will find and send you his seller info. The second camry I bought the module and programming cable and programmed my self. I saved a few bucks this way but the wire prep the ebay seller did was worth the extra money.! He removed all unnecessary wires from harness and then bubbles the The wires into different groups based the 3 different location under dash they were going to.

Thanks - I am a little reluctant to go aftermarket on a brand new vehicle but would be interested in the idatalink seller and part number.
Buckaroo

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks - I am a little reluctant to go aftermarket on a brand new vehicle but would be interested in the idatalink seller and part number.
Buckaroo
I understand where your coming from but I was okay since I didn't have to cut any wires. I was looking at the Toyota module but between price and weather of not it required dealer programming swayed me towards the idatalink module. This module like Toyota shuts off when door is opened. Since the install I added the smartphone interface to start via smartphone. (subscription required 3years $120)

Ebay seller- imper_jo

Model IdataLink ADS-AL-CA

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Ebay seller- imper_jo

Model IdataLink ADS-AL-CA"

I got a quote to install the Toyota remote starter from the dealership and it was $532. Checked out this Ebay seller but they only had one Ford starter kit currently offered.

I also checked out the IdataLink module and it looked to me like it's function was only to bypass the immobilizer....is a separate remote starter module required?

thanks,

Buckaroo

·
Registered
280 Posts
No the ADS-AL-CA module does the push to start remote start, 3 presses of lock button and it starts the car. The seller is really good, I'm sure if you contact him he will post listing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having my remote engine start (Viper) installed on my 17 Camry XSE @ Best Buys on Nov 2 for $210 including installation and taxes. Plus their limited warranty is covered nationwide. The stealership markup is crazy.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,100 Posts
Buckaroo
Remember, aftermarket products do not void your cars warranty unless the dealer can prove that it is the cause. Proper install from a reputable installer and you will have no problems. I have been using remote starts since the 90's and recently started installing my own to no issues with it messing with my car. It's when people use cheap brands or bad installers have I seen problems.

"Ebay seller- imper_jo

I got a quote to install the Toyota remote starter from the dealership and it was $532. Checked out this Ebay seller but they only had one Ford starter kit currently offered.

I also checked out the IdataLink module and it looked to me like it's function was only to bypass the immobilizer....is a separate remote starter module required?

thanks,

Buckaroo
Nope, because idatalink requires you to wire it directly to your car's smart key interface and possibly the OBD2 port, it has full control to start the car via the ECU and immobilizer once you program the key. For non smart key cars, it only acts as a bypass since it does not have full relays to be wired into the car's ignition harness.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Ebay seller- imper_jo

thanks,

Buckaroo
Just to expand a little further, the ADS-AL-CA module will perform the remote start operation with RS firmware or it acts as immobilizer bypass module with the TL firmware. Its a very universal module that can be used on many makes and models with the proper firmware downloaded and installed from the idatalink web site. If you buy from the eBay seller I purchased from he programs the module and preps the harness and install takes under 1 hour from start to finish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Blockhead 21

Hopefully, they do not have bad installers in ALL of their hundreds of stores. Maybe I'll luck up on Wednesday. Then again, maybe not. That's what makes living interesting. I'll let you know on Thursday. The price was right since I have no mechanical skills whatsoever.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I have confirmed my pricing on the Toyota remote start kit part #PR398-03120 - $292 delivered from Camelback Toyota. Don't need the Hood Switch kit PT398-03121 as I have the factory alarm. The Toyota procedure calls for registration of the RES (Remote Engine Start) module with the ECU. I tried the current version of the Auto Enginuity Toyota enhanced scantool to see if it was capable of doing the programming. They have only updated through the 2015 model year and you could select up to 2016. When I selected 2016 and tried to connect to my 2017, it would not go into enhanced mode, only global so I did not have access to programming. I also tried an old Toyota Techstream - I hooked it up and it would allow me to select through the 2010 model year. I could access programming and it appeared to get me to the point that I needed to be to do the handshake between the ECU and RES module. As this TechStream is pretty far out of date, I decided not to use it to do the install.....concerned about the potential of damaging the ECU on a brand new car. I have seen some discussion on the web that the Toyota RES module is actually plug and play - no programming required but have not been able to confirm this. So unless I can do so, I will let the dealership install at an incremental cost of $278 which is more than I would like.

FYI - I have seen some discussion about the limited range of the smart key remote so I did some testing. It was about 150 yards, outside and clear line of sight. This includes an additional 25 yards that I got when I held the remote to my chin apparently using my head as an antenna. I had heard this helps and was a little surprised to see that, in fact, it did.

Buckaroo

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pretty much how I ended up going aftermarket, could never confirm I can do programming and rather do install myself over Toyota. $220 laterals an hour of my time. I got aftermarket system with smartphone module and I can start car from anywhere and get confirmation. This additional module was worth it since the oem fobs have crappy range(not just Toyota all oem) and allows me start from inside house or from desk at work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As of Today, Best Buys came through. The Viper engine remote works great and runs for 15 minutes off my FOB. The out the door price including installation and limited warranty nationwide was $210.00. My range is at least 50 ft unobstructed, Yes, the engine shuts down when opening the door.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the feedback....Buckaroo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I understand where your coming from but I was okay since I didn't have to cut any wires. I was looking at the Toyota module but between price and weather of not it required dealer programming swayed me towards the idatalink module. This module like Toyota shuts off when door is opened. Since the install I added the smartphone interface to start via smartphone. (subscription required 3years $120)

Ebay seller- imper_jo

Model IdataLink ADS-AL-CA

I realize this is an old thread, hoping you're still around on the form. What interface did you use to have remote start via your smartphone? Was it an accessory for the idatalink module?
Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, hoping you're still around on the form. What interface did you use to have remote start via your smartphone? Was it an accessory for the idatalink module?
Thanks
drone mobile interface, yes it is accessory module from compustar (idatalink parent company)

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts