Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,246 Posts
So is it ok to run 12v power directly to the DRL lamps? has anyone tried it before? I know some DRL units require voltage regulators to keep the LEDs from burning out.

I also found this Dimmer that can probably work for our cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvvlXh9haU
Nice, thanks for that. The price is pretty decent as well. Would probably cost a dollar or two less to build your own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drl mod

Pic attached shows how I wired the additional relay. Micro relay (blue) is the drl relay and larger relay (grey) is the low beam relay and the black micro relay on its side is the one I added. Unfortunately these relay dont have pin # designations, so you would have to test with a DMM or test light to find out which is signal and which is switched power. I tried getting a friend of mine thats a tech for toyota get me a wiring diagram, but that never happend. So I just got my trusty ol DMM out and tested. So far they work great and are really bright. Also added pic of brightness.
What type of black micro relay is that? i tried googling it but cant see anything beside actual relays like the ones we are trying to tap into. can you send me a link to one i can use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pic attached shows how I wired the additional relay. Micro relay (blue) is the drl relay and larger relay (grey) is the low beam relay and the black micro relay on its side is the one I added. Unfortunately these relay dont have pin # designations, so you would have to test with a DMM or test light to find out which is signal and which is switched power. I tried getting a friend of mine thats a tech for toyota get me a wiring diagram, but that never happend. So I just got my trusty ol DMM out and tested. So far they work great and are really bright. Also added pic of brightness.
Not to bring an old thread back from the brink, but I've been wondering your steps to do this? Did you use the control side of the low-beam relay to trigger the new micro relay? If so, the switched side of the new micro relay is connected to each of the switched pins on the DRL relay, correct?

I have access to TIS (Toyota's technical information system, wiring diagrams, etc) so I could pull a schematic on this if that's what you did, I just want to be sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay so I have a 18 Toyota corolla. does anybody have an actual video or instruction how to do the modification with the relay in order to have your drl on with your low beams and exactly what type of relay needed in order to accomplish this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've had my 17 XSE for about 1 month and this is the first mod I was wanting to do. I wanted something that I can easily take off if I needed to take car in for warrenty work. I've been a auto tech for 15 yrs at a dealership (different manufacturer) so I know any aftermarket wiring can void warrenty. So I decided to wire up a 2nd relay in fuse box to switch drl on when low beams switch on. So far works great but havent had long term testing... Just wanted to give another way of doing this mod. Heres a pic of relay and car with lows and drl on.
is this mod still working on your corolla. could you have more directions and what relay u used to get this mod done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok I want to add the relay to connect the drl to the low beams but the picture that onedownmex posted is no longer available. Any updates on how to do this with a relay at the box instead of running or tapping the amber parking lots?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Figured it out

:hi:

I finally figured out how to do this with just a relay and without cutting or splicing any wires or adding a switch. Big shout out to OneDownMex because his original photo helped me put the puzzle together. I couldn't see his photo when I was on my Galaxy S8+ but after pulling up the forums on my laptop I could finally see the photo he posted. If you can't see my photos try pulling this up on a laptop first.

Please use caution before attempting this. I come from a long line of fighter pilots and engineers but I work in a bank and have limited technical knowledge. I have seen other posts where folks have short-circuited and fried their wires. Google some basic knowledge about how relays work before attempting this.

I bought this cheap 30A relay off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH69M50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was $8.49 and had free prime one-day shipping.

I realized after looking at OneDownMex's photo that he was simply using a relay to connect the signal side (the small positive and negative terminals) of the gray H-LP relay (low beam) to the switch side (large terminals) of the blue DRL relay.

I tested the polarity of both the gray H-LP relay and found a basic wiring diagram for the blue DRM relay by googling 'Denso Relay Wiring Diagram'. Then it was just a matter of hooking up the relay I got on Amazon between them both. I am attaching photos of all my connections using the relay from Amazon. But to make it even clearer I am going to explain it via text as well.

1. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the white wire from the Amazon relay (86) to the small terminal that is on the driver's side position (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

2. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the black wire from the Amazon relay (85) to the small terminal that is on the passenger's side position (the furthest left if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

3. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the red wire from the Amazon relay (30) to the large terminal that is in the middle (Battery (+) in the Denso relay wiring diagram). You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

4. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the yellow wire from the Amazon relay (87) to the large terminal that is on the driver's side position (output in the Denso relay wiring diagram). (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box) You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

I plugged the blue DRL relay in first since it had the most load running through it, I then plugged in the gray H-LP relay. I tucked the Amazon relay down into the empty spot in the fuse box. The fuse box closes up nicely and everything works perfectly. I can easily take it out when I go in to get work done on the car.

Have fun blinding people on the road even more! :rockon:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
:hi:

I finally figured out how to do this with just a relay and without cutting or splicing any wires or adding a switch. Big shout out to OneDownMex because his original photo helped me put the puzzle together. I couldn't see his photo when I was on my Galaxy S8+ but after pulling up the forums on my laptop I could finally see the photo he posted. If you can't see my photos try pulling this up on a laptop first.

Please use caution before attempting this. I come from a long line of fighter pilots and engineers but I work in a bank and have limited technical knowledge. I have seen other posts where folks have short-circuited and fried their wires. Google some basic knowledge about how relays work before attempting this.

I bought this cheap 30A relay off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH69M50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was $8.49 and had free prime one-day shipping.

I realized after looking at OneDownMex's photo that he was simply using a relay to connect the signal side (the small positive and negative terminals) of the gray H-LP relay (low beam) to the switch side (large terminals) of the blue DRL relay.

I tested the polarity of both the gray H-LP relay and found a basic wiring diagram for the blue DRM relay by googling 'Denso Relay Wiring Diagram'. Then it was just a matter of hooking up the relay I got on Amazon between them both. I am attaching photos of all my connections using the relay from Amazon. But to make it even clearer I am going to explain it via text as well.

1. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the white wire from the Amazon relay (86) to the small terminal that is on the driver's side position (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

2. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the black wire from the Amazon relay (85) to the small terminal that is on the passenger's side position (the furthest left if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

3. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the red wire from the Amazon relay (30) to the large terminal that is in the middle (Battery (+) in the Denso relay wiring diagram). You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

4. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the yellow wire from the Amazon relay (87) to the large terminal that is on the driver's side position (output in the Denso relay wiring diagram). (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box) You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

I plugged the blue DRL relay in first since it had the most load running through it, I then plugged in the gray H-LP relay. I tucked the Amazon relay down into the empty spot in the fuse box. The fuse box closes up nicely and everything works perfectly. I can easily take it out when I go in to get work done on the car.

Have fun blinding people on the road even more! :rockon:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/...026-how-drl-headlights-mod-17-se-xse-xle.html

:)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts