Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
:hi:

I finally figured out how to do this with just a relay and without cutting or splicing any wires or adding a switch. Big shout out to OneDownMex because his original photo helped me put the puzzle together. I couldn't see his photo when I was on my Galaxy S8+ but after pulling up the forums on my laptop I could finally see the photo he posted. If you can't see my photos try pulling this up on a laptop first.

Please use caution before attempting this. I come from a long line of fighter pilots and engineers but I work in a bank and have limited technical knowledge. I have seen other posts where folks have short-circuited and fried their wires. Google some basic knowledge about how relays work before attempting this.
Now that you've had this in place for a couple of months, how is that working out? Any issues? Is the new relay you bought overheating?

·
Registered
1 Posts
:hi:

I finally figured out how to do this with just a relay and without cutting or splicing any wires or adding a switch. Big shout out to OneDownMex because his original photo helped me put the puzzle together. I couldn't see his photo when I was on my Galaxy S8+ but after pulling up the forums on my laptop I could finally see the photo he posted. If you can't see my photos try pulling this up on a laptop first.

Please use caution before attempting this. I come from a long line of fighter pilots and engineers but I work in a bank and have limited technical knowledge. I have seen other posts where folks have short-circuited and fried their wires. Google some basic knowledge about how relays work before attempting this.

I bought this cheap 30A relay off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH69M50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was $8.49 and had free prime one-day shipping.

I realized after looking at OneDownMex's photo that he was simply using a relay to connect the signal side (the small positive and negative terminals) of the gray H-LP relay (low beam) to the switch side (large terminals) of the blue DRL relay.

I tested the polarity of both the gray H-LP relay and found a basic wiring diagram for the blue DRM relay by googling 'Denso Relay Wiring Diagram'. Then it was just a matter of hooking up the relay I got on Amazon between them both. I am attaching photos of all my connections using the relay from Amazon. But to make it even clearer I am going to explain it via text as well.

1. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the white wire from the Amazon relay (86) to the small terminal that is on the driver's side position (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

2. On the gray H-LP relay, you will connect the black wire from the Amazon relay (85) to the small terminal that is on the passenger's side position (the furthest left if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box)

3. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the red wire from the Amazon relay (30) to the large terminal that is in the middle (Battery (+) in the Denso relay wiring diagram). You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

4. On the blue DRL relay, you will connect the yellow wire from the Amazon relay (87) to the large terminal that is on the driver's side position (output in the Denso relay wiring diagram). (the furthest right if you are facing the car with the hood open and the relay is plugged into the fuse box) You will need to strip the wire a bit more so that you can wrap it around that terminal close to the top. Do not let the wire get close to any of the other terminals or you could short the relay.

I plugged the blue DRL relay in first since it had the most load running through it, I then plugged in the gray H-LP relay. I tucked the Amazon relay down into the empty spot in the fuse box. The fuse box closes up nicely and everything works perfectly. I can easily take it out when I go in to get work done on the car.

Have fun blinding people on the road even more! :rockon:

I did as you've said — I'd say it works perfectly but now my DRLs wouldn't turn off. Would you have any idea why?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did as you've said — I'd say it works perfectly but now my DRLs wouldn't turn off. Would you have any idea why?[/QUOTE]

You must have attached the wires to the wrong terminals in your fuse box. I have also done this and When I turn the light switch in 17 XSE they function exactly how you would want them to down to the parking lights. However I'm not sure if you can turn on the headlights on without the DRL/ LED fog

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks and I will but will need to give it some time. I dont want to cause issues with members vehicles. Let me test it for a month or so. The relay is tapped in to the drl light switched side of the drl relay and low beam signal side of low beam relay. Pretty simple set up, but dont know the long term effect on the constant use of drl lights.
Thanks and I will but will need to give it some time. I dont want to cause issues with members vehicles. Let me test it for a month or so. The relay is tapped in to the drl light switched side of the drl relay and low beam signal side of low beam relay. Pretty simple set up, but dont know the long term effect on the constant use of drl lights.
any issues?

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
I just did this mod, following the exact instructions from post #38 and using the same Amazon relay

Everything is working as it should. LED DRLs coming on with the headlights

EDIT: DRLs were not coming on because I had the parking brake on. lol. Oops

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did this mod, following the exact instructions from post #38 and using the same Amazon relay

Everything is working as it should. LED DRLs coming on with the headlights

However, when using only the parking lights - the DRLs do not turn on. Only the bars on each headlight assembly turn on. Normal operation without this mod, the bars and the DRLs turn on when the switch is in the parking lights only position

Is this normal when doing this mod?
Upload pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
41 - 50 of 50 Posts