Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Highlander V6 elx awd and I just made a 17 hour (two days) trip from Pennsylvania to Florida. I reset the fuel consumption monitor at the very start of the trip and used the cruise control on the almost exclusive interstate trip. At the end of the trip the fuel consumption showed 22.5 mpg! Is this what I should expect or is something amiss? I purchased the vehicle in June with 22,400 miles. It now has 34,000 on it. I had expected to get around 26 or 27 mpg on interstate driving.:oops:

·
Registered
14 Highlander AWD, 04 Highlander AWD, 02 4Runner SR5
28 Posts
Long: I made a similar trip ( 3 days) and noted a big difference on the windy days vs calm days. Also hilly (semi-mountainous areas) versus flat terrain mpg. Short answer yes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your mileage is about typical for the age and likely miles on your car. Our '17 XLE/AWD got mid 20's on trips (NMex-Colo) the first year or so. Not so anymore. Best highway of late seems to run 21-22 and high 16's in city driving.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander LTD
212 Posts
I make Pa to Fla trips every year and usually get 25-26 mpg. I keep my speed between 75-80 mph and use eco mode. We have 18k on the odo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 Highlander V6 elx awd and I just made a 17 hour (two days) trip from Pennsylvania to Florida. I reset the fuel consumption monitor at the very start of the trip and used the cruise control on the almost exclusive interstate trip. At the end of the trip the fuel consumption showed 22.5 mpg! Is this what I should expect or is something amiss? I purchased the vehicle in June with 22,400 miles. It now has 34,000 on it. I had expected to get around 26 or 27 mpg on interstate driving.:oops:
Your low numbers can probably be chalked up to the winter gas blend. But our 2014 AWD would only ever do about 23mpg. Our 2017 FWD has done up to 27mpg on a 12 hour run to west Texas. Again, this was not with winter blend gas. I do feel the FWD Highlanders get a tad better mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. I am disappointed in the gas mileage. It could be the winter blend. It makes no sense to me to reduce emissions but increase fuel consumption so, where's the net on this? But, that's a discussion for another day. I was excited when I traded my Infiniti m37x in on the Highlander thinking my gas mileage would improve but it has actually gotten worse! The Infiniti averaged 24 mpg on the same trip. At least I'm able now to use regular gas, 87 octane versus premium. Oh well, I still enjoy the room in the Highlander.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have put 15,000 miles on my 2016 XLE AWD. I have found the fuel consumption monitor is not accurate. I use the app Fuelly on my phone to track my mpg. You enter the odometer reading and gallons at each fill up. It shows the mpg at each gas purchase. The best I have ever done is 25.4 mpg

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The most accurate method is the old tried and true....Divide mileage driven by the amount of gas you put in tank. I've never found the fuel monitoring systems to be very accurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks. I'm downloading the fuelly app.. I actually kept all my fuel receipts and actual mileage at fuel-up. If I see a difference between the onboard fuel monitor and hand calculations I'll post here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Per Fuellio app the car only got 22.643 mpg on the trip. I had the cruise control set at 79 mph. 😔

·
Registered
7 Posts
We found our 2017 Highlander AWD got surprisingly worse mileage than we expected. However, I put the dash console on the instantaneous fuel mileage monitoring screen and play games with trying to keep that number as high as possible. The way you drive dramatically impacts mileage, and right after filling it up I'll reset the mileage monitoring and then see if I can keep it as high as I can through that tank. The things I do to keep amused....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well, I guess if I want to make it to Florida in three days instead of two, I could have gotten better mileage but then I would have needed to spend on another night out and dinner. Pay it now or pay it later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Per Fuellio app the car only got 22.643 mpg on the trip. I had the cruise control set at 79 mph. 😔
It could be that your 79mph speed is helping reduce your gas mileage more than any other factor. Gas mileage is reduced as you exceed 60 mph. For info check Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed I love to use cruise for highway driving but checking on line the thought is that it will cause you to use more gas. ie Your car is maintaining 79 mph going up a hill which you might not try to do if you realized how far you are pushing down the accelerator pedal to do it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2018 XLE AWD and it will usually get between 24 and 27 mpg on the highway with speed set 70-75mph. If you were travelling with the car fully loaded and maintaining 79mph perhaps that explains the lower gas mileage you saw. I have made two MA-FL trips in March 2019 and 2020 with two adults and maybe 500 lbs of cargo aboard, averaging 70-75 mph and my mpg ranged between 24.5 to 26.5 mpg for the numerous tanks of gas consumed on those trips. Headwinds and hilly terrain had a noticeable negative effect on the mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Something else to check is the condition and PSI of the tires. Low tire pressure makes a big difference, especially on the highway at higher speeds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts