Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Highlander Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. I'm at a little bit of a loss here. I bought, second hand, a 2017 Highlander Limited (in Canada). The vehicle is quite awesome, despite being 5 years old.

One problem I have is that the front camera is extremely blurry and is essentially not useable. I looked at the lens of the front camera and it has specks all over it. It seems like some rocks have hit it and cause scratches and/or debris to become lodged on the lens. It looks like dozens of stars in a night sky!

As such, I'm in the search for a replacement for this part. Unfortunately, the Internet is really not helping. YouTube has exactly zero videos on how to replace this and which part I can use.

I took it upon myself to remove the camera and discovered the part number: 86790-0E080
Searching online, this part is also known as 86790-0E081.

The part ranges from $280 - $700 USD! This day and age, I find that to be quite expensive for a camera. What's worse, I cannot find many places that ship to Canada.

These ones possibly do ship to Canada (according to their checkout page).

So here's my quandary.
  • Is there an aftermarket front camera that plugs into the same 6 pin as the original? I was hoping to find something that costs less!
  • Would using a backup camera be the same as using a front camera, assuming it's the same 6 pin? (the pegs look slightly different so I'd have to break off some pegs or something)
I'm at a little loss as what to do as I am hesitant in spending a few hundred dollars for a tiny camera (in Canada, they're charging like $550 CAD, which is about $430 USD, and that's not including labor). The reason why I wanted to keep this is because of the bird's eye view functionality that it provides (along with the other 3 cameras already installed).

Any suggestions appreciated!

Camera accessory Rectangle Font Electronics accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
2018 Highlander SE AWD, 2006 Matrix
114 Posts
Do you think you could polish the scratches out? If it’s plastic you can use plasticX from McGuires If it’s glass you can use cerium oxide available on Amazon. Just google how to use it… if your camera is ruined already may be worth a shot…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think you could polish the scratches out? If it’s plastic you can use plasticX from McGuires If it’s glass you can use cerium oxide available on Amazon. Just google how to use it… if your camera is ruined already may be worth a shot…
I took another closer look at the lens and it looks like it’s cracked as well. Doesn’t look like I can polish this out. ☹

·
Registered
153 Posts
See if anyone is selling any used cameras on Ebay. If you want compatibility and functionality then you will have to bite the bullet and get a new camera from Toyota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Scouring the depths of the online world I was looking for any Toyota 6 pin camera that might work. I found lots but was uncomfortable spending the money on guesswork. I couldn’t find any exact parts on eBay that were any cheaper.

However, this morning I came across this for a decent price. Shipping is going to take forever (July 28 arrival) given supply chain issues but the price is much better than anything in North America.

Wish me luck!

Digital camera Product Camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera lens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Parts arrived two days ago to Canada, pretty good for Ali Express. Installation of camera was a success and there is now a picture that works! I'm so happy that this is now fixed for significantly cheaper than the shop. I thought I'd post some photos here for others who also run into this problem and need replacement.

This was my image before replacement (notice the blurry stuff on the left). The camera lens was broken by rocks and lens was shattered; I removed the lens but because the lens also served to focus, the image was way out of focus (i.e., like not wearing glasses if you're near sighted).
Vehicle Gadget Output device Display device Font

After replacing the camera, it looks much better. I'm not sure if that black shape in the middle is normal, but it's still significantly better than before (at least I can make out the shapes!)
Gadget Display device Font Flat panel display Electronic device

The replacement part isn't an entirely like for like. The main difference is the metal frame that houses the camera. In the photo below you'll notice that the frame of the old camera is slightly wider than the frame of the replacement camera.
Font Motor vehicle Jewellery Automotive exterior Electronic device

One needs to take the camera out of the new frame and put it in the old frame to fit for a 2017 Toyota Highlander Limited. I used the screws from the new metal frame and placed them on the old frame so that it fits the camera better.
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Auto part Tool Automotive exterior

When placing the camera back in place, use the holes in the frame to guide where to place the camera. There are pointed guides that should fit in the holes so that the camera stays in place. If looking from the inside of the vehicle (under the hood) towards the front, you'll see something that looks like this on the left and right side that slot into the metal frame holes.
Door Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hope this helps somebody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts