Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 highlander awd... was changing the oil today and noticed an oil leak on the drivers side just above the cv axle. it doesnt appear to be a bad leak and i cant see in there good enough to tell if its coming from one of the hoses in the pics or from above. it has the look of engine oil but theres not much smell to it so im not really sure. its definitely not gear oil and doesnt look or smell like trans fluid.

are the hoses and such covered under the 60k mi powertrain warranty? if its not under warranty, im not even scheduling a trip to the dealer. ill just fix it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Talk to the dealer and ask if it's still covered under warranty. If not, and you want to handle it yourself, try these steps: clean off the oil with degreaser and water; let dry, blow some corn starch on it to better trace where the oil comes from; make sure it's really engine oil, and not some other fluid.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Too many times, especially if no warranty, most leaks are from the 'lube lane'. Hack techs spill oil everywhere.

So, do nothing without a thorough cleaning. Make sure you definitely find the source of the leak.

If its not the hack tech, its the front cover (timing chain area) or one of the valve/rocker/cam covers. This is relatively rare on young vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know its not from spilled oil or anyone working on it because i do my own maintenance. the only time it was in the shop was to have the trans replaced at 6k miles and it has 46k on it now. the leak definitely showed up between the last oil change (in march) and this one. im going to investigate further today when i have the wheels off to replace the rotors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like its coming from this breather or whatever it is on the transmission/transaxle. the hose just slides over it and is very loose. when i pulled the hose off, there was a decent amount of air pressure in there so maybe its a differential breather or something. not sure why it would just start leaking after this many miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Weather is warming up and transmission fluid is running hotter.... I would have the ATF level checked correctly. I would also see if that is the same on another highlander.... might've been broken after transmission change

Was the transmission hot or cold when you broke the seal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trans was cold, just moved the car from the house to the garage after it was sitting all night. i was surprised at the air pressure since the trans was cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this breather leak was bugging me so i had to look at it again. i kept looking at the pics i had and dont know why i didnt notice it to start with but you can see plastic around the end of the hose. ive never seen a breather hose with a plastic liner so i pulled the hose back off today to find that a dust cap was blocking the hose. apparently the new trans was shipped with a dust cap over the breather tube and the dealer just put the hose on over it. surprised it never leaked til now.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tranny had to be replaced at 6k miles? What year is your vehicle?

2017. i was changing the oil at around 6k mi and noticed trans fluid leaking from the bell housing area. ended up being the input shaft seal and toyota replaced the whole trans. its got 46k on it now and no trans issues since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this leak was definitely coming from the breather hose. i think the cap was causing the pressure to build up in the trans until the pressure could overcome the seal of the cap and then blow out oil vapor and air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts