Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Highlander Limited. At 30,000 I discovered oil where the trans meets the engine. Dealer says it the rear main seal. Waiting on the part to arrive.
Question please. Any Gen 3 Highlander owners have this leak and was the repair successful ???
Dealer says it's a 6-7 hour repair. 20191104_132246.jpg
Even though the vehicle is under 36000 miles, the dealer indicated it would be covered under the powertrain warranty 5yr/60,000.

Thanks and regards - Jaketab

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Rear main seals repairs means they have to remove the engine drop the oil pan and depending on if it's a two part seal - they may have to remove the crank shaft. This is not a trivial job. And IMHO those should be extremely rare. 1 in 100,000. Rear seals should last the life of the engine (several hundred thousand miles).

I have seen seals dry out if the engine isn't driven often. But even then it' was well past 150k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear main seals repairs means they have to remove the engine drop the oil pan and depending on if it's a two part seal - they may have to remove the crank shaft. This is not a trivial job. And IMHO those should be extremely rare. 1 in 100,000. Rear seals should last the life of the engine (several hundred thousand miles).

I have seen seals dry out if the engine isn't driven often. But even then it' was well past 150k miles.
Scheduled the repair for next week and asked the service rep how the repair would be undertaken. He said it's a 1 piece seal and only the trans would need moved.
I have not searched this forum for like repairs but I do not recall viewing any gen 3 posts regarding the rear main seal.

Regards - J Tab

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The rear main seal replacement (after removed the seal retainer) itself is a fairly simple task; its the reassembly and alignment quality (from transmission, half axle, brake back out to the driver-side wheel and all of the attached electrical connectors, hoses etc.) can be crucial for future drivability... Sincerely best wish that all is fixed correctly.

P.S. Absolutely no intension to make you nervous, but, pointing out although it's only a $40 part, the disassembly & reassembly work is quite involved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up to having the rear main seal replaced on my 2017 Highlander. The dealer took 4 days to complete the job. It did involve removing the cradle and dropping the converter and transmission. The service foreman said the reason for the extended time was they initially had trouble lining up the trans with the engine.
Dealer replaced the transmission and transaxle fluid and threw in a front alignment. Test drive - so far so good. Time will tell. At 32000 miles I still have 2 years and 28000 miles to go before the power train warranty expires.

Regards - J Tab

·
Registered
5 Posts
So just found out I have this issue on recently purchased 2017 SE with 50k miles. Worst part about this is Dealer cant work on repair until after holidays so would any of you still drive the car from NY to Florida with this small oil leak?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,950 Posts
So just found out I have this issue on recently purchased 2017 SE with 50k miles. Worst part about this is Dealer cant work on repair until after holidays so would any of you still drive the car from NY to Florida with this small oil leak?
Keep an eye on the oil level and you will have no issues. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people probably drive with oil leaks and don't know it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you can already pinpoint the source of the leak, good time to clean off the oil and keep a check on it. The amount of oil leaking on my Highlander rear main was insignificant.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Unless there is already a significant amount of leak (small puddle say when parked over a weekend), otherwise (if not even a couple of drips), bring a couple of quarts of the same motor oil that you use in your engine on the road, check oil level every gas station stop and fill as needed... Hakuna-matata!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Here is a pic of the leak 7 days after getting it cleaned up for a subsequent inspection

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Here is a pic of the leak 7 days after getting it cleaned up for a subsequent inspection View attachment 288427
That one dark spot (oil droplet) at the top of the picture 7-days after cleaned (I assume you have been driving during these 7 days), if that is true, being the "oil droplet" is not even running, you can just bring one (1) bottle (instead of a couple of bottles) of motor oil for the trip to add as needed. ;) Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: the job was completed in 5 days. A loaner was provided during the period. The car seems to drive fine but I am noticing a slight knock when I turn the car on. Its not always there but it almost sounds like vibration from the engine is shaking something loose. The biggest issue is that after two days I looked for a leak and spotted a small oil droplet pretty much in the same location. Ugh, I read some where that this issue can be complex to correct but im cleaning it today and checking back on it after a day or two.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Now you see why I have been a bit negative, oil leaks at 30K miles or more the absence of , is what made brands like Toyota popular in the first place, yes you can get as many miles out of a ford, Chevy or dodge as a toyota if you look after your vehicles, what toyota brought to the mix and Honda etc was the lack of little issues, oil leaks , electrical gremlins, switches that fail to work etc, in other words less trivial bother, less time in the shop fixing little things, well guess what Toyota is getting these issues, so then it becomes why spend extra money on a vehicle that is going to have these issues anyway?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts