Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Highlander Limited. At 30,000 I discovered oil where the trans meets the engine. Dealer says it the rear main seal. Waiting on the part to arrive.
Question please. Any Gen 3 Highlander owners have this leak and was the repair successful ???
Dealer says it's a 6-7 hour repair. 20191104_132246.jpg
Even though the vehicle is under 36000 miles, the dealer indicated it would be covered under the powertrain warranty 5yr/60,000.

Thanks and regards - Jaketab

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Rear main seals repairs means they have to remove the engine drop the oil pan and depending on if it's a two part seal - they may have to remove the crank shaft. This is not a trivial job. And IMHO those should be extremely rare. 1 in 100,000. Rear seals should last the life of the engine (several hundred thousand miles).

I have seen seals dry out if the engine isn't driven often. But even then it' was well past 150k miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear main seals repairs means they have to remove the engine drop the oil pan and depending on if it's a two part seal - they may have to remove the crank shaft. This is not a trivial job. And IMHO those should be extremely rare. 1 in 100,000. Rear seals should last the life of the engine (several hundred thousand miles).

I have seen seals dry out if the engine isn't driven often. But even then it' was well past 150k miles.
Scheduled the repair for next week and asked the service rep how the repair would be undertaken. He said it's a 1 piece seal and only the trans would need moved.
I have not searched this forum for like repairs but I do not recall viewing any gen 3 posts regarding the rear main seal.

Regards - J Tab

·
Registered
847 Posts
The rear main seal replacement (after removed the seal retainer) itself is a fairly simple task; its the reassembly and alignment quality (from transmission, half axle, brake back out to the driver-side wheel and all of the attached electrical connectors, hoses etc.) can be crucial for future drivability... Sincerely best wish that all is fixed correctly.

P.S. Absolutely no intension to make you nervous, but, pointing out although it's only a $40 part, the disassembly & reassembly work is quite involved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up to having the rear main seal replaced on my 2017 Highlander. The dealer took 4 days to complete the job. It did involve removing the cradle and dropping the converter and transmission. The service foreman said the reason for the extended time was they initially had trouble lining up the trans with the engine.
Dealer replaced the transmission and transaxle fluid and threw in a front alignment. Test drive - so far so good. Time will tell. At 32000 miles I still have 2 years and 28000 miles to go before the power train warranty expires.

Regards - J Tab

1 - 7 of 7 Posts