Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at my Toyota dealership for service today and indicated to them that I had a "shudder" problem when driving 25 to 40 mph. It doesn't do it all the time but maybe once per month when you least expect it. The service writer told me that my car doesn't have a torque converter since it is a hybrid. I did research online and found out the gasoline models had a shudder problem in years 2013 to 2015 and a TSB was indicated. On my service visit today, no codes showed up at all.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this problem on their hybrid? Could it be a transmission problem since I have the CVT transmission. Any information would be greatly appreciated. The mileage on the vehicle which is my wife's has only 4100 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2015 Sienna LE, 2016 Camry LE
201 Posts
There is no “CVT” transmission in a Toyota hybrid. It’s a planetary gear. If there’s a vibration it could be a million things. You’re gonna have to be more specific to what you’re calling a shudder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shudder is a noise inside the cabin that occurs at a speed of 25 to 40 mph. When, I opened the windows when this occurred the last time, the shudder sound in the cabin went away. As soon as I shut all the windows, the sound returned for about 30 seconds then went away.

The shudder sounds like a vibration without the actual vibration. It is definitely a sound coming underneath the car which causes this sensation. The tires have been checked and are at the correct tire pressures.and are balanced correctly. The undercarriage was checked out during the service appointment and all parts were tight. Brakes were also checked and they were fine. No warped rotors, calipers and pads were to spec.

That is all the information that I have regarding shudder sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shudder is a noise inside the cabin that occurs at a speed of 25 to 40 mph. When, I opened the windows when this occurred the last time, the shudder sound in the cabin went away. As soon as I shut all the windows, the sound returned for about 30 seconds then went away.

The shudder sounds like a vibration without the actual vibration. It is definitely a sound coming underneath the car which causes this sensation. The tires have been checked and are at the correct tire pressures.and are balanced correctly. The undercarriage was checked out during the service appointment and all parts were tight. Brakes were also checked and they were fine. No warped rotors, calipers and pads were to spec.

That is all the information that I have regarding shudder sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 Sienna LE, 2016 Camry LE
201 Posts
Is there shaking in the steering wheel or floorboard?

·
8,211 Posts
Well, I had entire vehicle shudder in my 2012 HiHy, when rolling between 25 and 40. I finally sold the car, partially due to that reason. It was nothing mechanical, I replaced tires, half shaft, suspension was top notch, new struts. Something electronic. Butit was a shudder, that felt like as if clutches are slipping. except there are no clutches.
I'd suggest to go back to dealer and tell him to re flash system with software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there shaking in the steering wheel or floorboard?
No, there is no shaking in the steering wheel or the floorboard. Sounds as if it is coming from the rear engine area. It is a sound I have never heard in any car or suv that I owned in the past 40 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had entire vehicle shudder in my 2012 HiHy, when rolling between 25 and 40. I finally sold the car, partially due to that reason. It was nothing mechanical, I replaced tires, half shaft, suspension was top notch, new struts. Something electronic. Butit was a shudder, that felt like as if clutches are slipping. except there are no clutches.
I'd suggest to go back to dealer and tell him to re flash system with software.
Went back to the dealership and told them to re flash the system and it came back normal. Nothing showed up and no codes.

·
8,211 Posts
I am not sure we talking same apples.
Sounds like they scoped your vehicle for error codes. I mentioned re flashing ECU software. Normally, they charge around $100 for that and it takes about 30 min to do. Basically, vehicle operating program is fdeleted and fresh OEM one is installed.
Is that what they did?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no “CVT” transmission in a Toyota hybrid. It’s a planetary gear. If there’s a vibration it could be a million things. You’re gonna have to be more specific to what you’re calling a shudder.
According to Toyota the 2017 RAV 4 hybrid does have a CVT transmission. The 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and two electric motors that together produce 194 horsepower. A continuously variable transmission (CVT), which functions like an automatic, is standard.

·
8,211 Posts
There is no CVT in hybrids. Not a CVT in commonly used sense. yes, we do know what manual says. Toyota had to categorize it somehow to be able to sell in the US, so they came up with cheap E-CVT term. No one knows difference anyway. It is epicyclic gear set that is transmission of its own. You can call it CVT all you want to, it does not change that, mechanically, it is not.
Though, as the result, with general despise to CVTs in the owners and potential buyers crowd, now it bites Toyota back, as people are - Ewh, it's a CVT, I don't want CVT droning....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shudder is still occurring and dealership can't find what is causing the problem. Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts