Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an XLE, 2017 model. I previously had a 2009 Hybrid, and the I've been driving a 2018 SE for the last week or so while looking for this car. My point is that I love the 2017, but the sound of the stereo sounds incredibly week in comparison to both the 2009, and the 2018. Is this common? Are there any issues with this particular model that you know of?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it is about the headunit. most headunits from 2015-2017 camrys were made by fujitsuten. I used to have a 2017 se with the navigation package. I tried to add a little alpine amp to the headunit and it still sounded terrible. Unless you replace the headunit to aftermarket one, or nothing will improve the sound quality (including change speakers).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Can you define weak better?

Double check and make sure all the settings (bass, treble, fade, balance, etc.) are set properly for each component.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Headunit is OK. The problem is in amplifier. Someone mentioned this here before for 15-17 Camry's.In my 2016 XLE V6 I replaced original amplifier 86100-0W280 with the one 86100-0W250 from 12-14 Camry's, purchased cheap on eBay, and the sound quality improved amazingly!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm following this with a bit of interest. We have the 2017 green edge JBL system with nav. Have no clue if the amp is the same in our cars. After the warranty ran out, I bought some Kenwood Excelon 3 3/4 coaxials for the front, disconnected the center, with a 10" RF sub running off the "sub" output of the rear. Still have a good set of Kicker 6x9's to install in the front doors along with some sound deadener. Also turned off the surround setting, forgot the name. Pretty happy for the results so far, minimal cost. I'm not sure dropping $4-500 on a used amp off ebay would be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone decides for himself if this is worth to do or not. After buying my brand new XLE V6 back in 2016 I have noticed immediately poor sound quality (low volume and practically absent bass) of my Entune premium JBL with 10 speakers for which I paid extra and then I spent quite a bit of time communicating with Toyota headquarters about this. They said there are not enough complaints about this known problem for issuing a recall. That is why I decided to take a risk and to follow the hint found here on this board. It looked like a very easy fix with just investing about hundred bucks for used amplifier at eBay. The result as I said before much, much exceeded my expectations – I, for instance, can now listen Grand Funk, one of my favorites, in full spectrum with their famous bass so the outside mirrors slightly vibrate at full volume. As for the cost of the amplifier, on average, the stock one (86100-0W280) sells on eBay noticeably higher than the 86100-0W250. This is just my experience (of about two years old now) and nothing more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I get you, really. I looked on ebay searching with 86100-0W250 there were 4 listed from $335 to $475. 86100-0W280 has 3 listings 450-500. I went out to the car to see which was in there, but there's a cover on it and it was getting dark. Wife picked out the car, it's a hybrid, there may be some differences. I have a pretty long history with my cars and the sound systems. I'd rather she hadn't had the premium system, I''d prefer to build my own. But, we're in it now, just trying to get a good sounding system. So far it's a major improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the time I was getting my amplifier the price tags for the 86100-0W250s, used, from damaged vehicles were in the range of $80-150. But the newer 86100-0W280s were listed at not less than $350, even used. Interestingly, their MSRP is more than thousand bucks each. I’m just guessing that current price jump for the 86100-0W250s could be explained by the widely spreading of the idea of this trick. It is usually quite safe to purchase used electronics since, unlike mechanical systems they do not normally wear out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts