Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
By "vague tracking", I mean straight line stability is not quite as stable as the OEM Bridgestone 440s.

Why would you believe that the QuietTracks have stiffer sidewalls? My evidence to the contrary is anecdotal. When I back out of my in-laws driveway there is a dip at the end and I had to be careful not to to scrape with the OEM 440s. I have no problems with these tires. I think the QuietTracks have a slightly taller profile and that the side walls are slightly softer. That is how I think they achieve less noise and a smoother ride. Some of that may be due to deeper tread? They rate this as an 80K tire and I imagine that you can only get there with more tread depth and/or tougher rubber. I would think that harder rubber would not help you achieve the goal of quieter and smoother, so I'm leaning towards more tread depth.

What is hopping/vibration? Do you mean normal front wheel drive wheel hop during hard acceleration? These tires won't help with that.

At the end of the day, the QuietTracks are NOT night and day different from the OEM 440s but they are a bit quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
By "vague tracking", I mean straight line stability is not quite as stable as the OEM Bridgestone 440s.

Why would you believe that the QuietTracks have stiffer sidewalls? My evidence to the contrary is anecdotal. When I back out of my in-laws driveway there is a dip at the end and I had to be careful not to to scrape with the OEM 440s. I have no problems with these tires. I think the QuietTracks have a slightly taller profile and that the side walls are slightly softer. That is how I think they achieve less noise and a smoother ride. Some of that may be due to deeper tread? They rate this as an 80K tire and I imagine that you can only get there with more tread depth and/or tougher rubber. I would think that harder rubber would not help you achieve the goal of quieter and smoother, so I'm leaning towards more tread depth.

What is hopping/vibration? Do you mean normal front wheel drive wheel hop during hard acceleration? These tires won't help with that.

At the end of the day, the QuietTracks are NOT night and day different from the OEM 440s but they are a bit quieter and smoother.
Everyone I spoke to about these tires (including the manufacturer and tirerack) have stated that the longer warranty and durability is because of a stiffer sidewall and harder rubber. A common thing that has been told to me was that they are smoother on smooth roads but worse on bad broken roads.
Both Bridgestone and the Michelin OE tires are 92V while most other ones that fit are 96V.
I hear that just going to 96 load index should make a little difference over OE but not sure for better or worse. I just have not experienced it myself to know if it will help me lol. Regarding tread depth, its actually odd, the Quiettracks have 9/32" New, and the EL440 have 10/32". Your statement about tread depth is why I post. I too am confused on how tougher rubber can equal smoother quieter ride.

What I mean by hopping and the vibration is: Both my 18 and my 19 were perfect when I first got the cards, when it comes to vibration and ride smoothness. However, both after a rotate or two I noticed a vibration / wobble / hopping, whatever you want to call it at about 65-72 MPH. It is extremely apparant. This summer I went on a 6-hour drive down south and it drove me nuts the entire way. This was not present when I first got the vehicle and it happened on both.

Here are two threads with others speaking of a similar issue:

Since the feeling and oscillating vibration was on both vehicles the only things I could conclude would be the tires. as they were the same. Perhaps they have a low tolerance for imperfections? Perhaps the way they wear down even little sucks. I am not sure. A proper road force can kind of compensate but it does not resolve.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Been looking at getting the Quiet Tracks myself once my tires wear out in a couple of weeks. From the few reviews I've seen on them they look very promising. Really want something that smooths out the ride cause currently the road noise and bumpiness on my current tires is obnoxious.
Let us know. I am skeptical of the Quiet Track because the treadlife is 80k miles. How can it have good traction handling and long treadlife.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am currently running the QuietTracks on my 2018 XSE V6. I have close to 10K miles on them so far and close to 40K miles on the Camry overall.

I swapped out the OEM tires a little early because I was planning an almost 10K cross-country trip that was going to take me back and forth through tornado alley in the Spring. I was glad I did!

The QuietTracks, compared to the OEM 440s are:

1) Quieter (so you can hear the driver's side wind noise better.) ; )
2) Slighty smoother ride.
3) Seem to handle about the same.
4) Seemed to get the same MPG (33 highway)
5) Did great in the crazy storms we ran into.

6). The negative, is a more vague tracking feel which is probably due to the softer sidewalls.

This is a great tire choice for cross-country, interstate highway driving but you might not prefer it if backroad handling is your primary concern.

I hope that helps...
Is the sidewall much softer than the Turanza EL440S?

Also do you have a picture of the tire? I would like to see how much does it sag with the softer sidewall. Thank you very much.

I might go with the Michelin Primacy MVM4 for stronger sidewalls.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is the sidewall much softer than the Turanza EL440S?

Also do you have a picture of the tire? I would like to see how much does it sag with the softer sidewall. Thank you very much.

I might go with the Michelin Primacy MVM4 for stronger sidewalls.
According to Bridgestone, tirerack, discount, and a couple random forums, the QuietTracks have a stiffer side wall with harder rubber.
To me this doesnt make sense but I'm no tire expert. In going to follow what they say since they know the product. A good thing is both discount and tirersck offer a trial thing where you can swap the tires if you dont like them because of the ride comfort or road noise.
I too am between the 96V MXM4 and the QuietTracks.
There seems to be two MXM4 versions, the 92V which is OE and the 96V. Hmmm

·
Registered
212 Posts
According to Bridgestone, tirerack, discount, and a couple random forums, the QuietTracks have a stiffer side wall with harder rubber.
To me this doesnt make sense but I'm no tire expert. In going to follow what they say since they know the product. A good thing is both discount and tirersck offer a trial thing where you can swap the tires if you dont like them because of the ride comfort or road noise.
You and I are on the same both. I have been diligently searching Quiet Track vs MXM4 96 XL.

I am looking for good wet/light snow handling, quiet, and strong sidewalls.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You and I are on the same both. I have been diligently searching Quiet Track vs MXM4 96 XL.

I am looking for good wet/light snow handling, quiet, and strong sidewalls.
What are your thoughts on QUATRAC 5? I know that Vredestein is primarily EU but I keep seeing very good things about them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What are your thoughts on QUATRAC 5? I know that Vredestein is primarily EU but I keep seeing very good things about them.
I am buying the tires at costco. So I am only eyeing those 2 models.

But the Vredestein has good reviews though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am kinda disappointed after watching this...

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Been looking at getting the Quiet Tracks myself once my tires wear out in a couple of weeks. From the few reviews I've seen on them they look very promising. Really want something that smooths out the ride cause currently the road noise and bumpiness on my current tires is obnoxious.
What did you end up with?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Finally, I have concluded to get the Michelin Primacy MXM4. If you are interested you can check out this: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138.

FYI, there are 2 models of the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Make sure you get the higher tread depth of 9.5/32, not the 8.5/32.

That would be this one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=34VR9MXM4PXL&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Camry+4cyl&autoModClar=XSE
Theres actually 3 models of primacy.
92v, 96v, and 96v with smaller tread depth.

Which did you go for?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Theres actually 3 models of primacy.
92v, 96v, and 96v with smaller tread depth.

Which did you go for?
The one I had posted the link for.

I was reading about the Continental Purecontact LS. They are quite good and cheaper than the Michelins. But they dont have it at Costco. So I dont think Im gonna opt for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The one I had posted the link for.

I was reading about the Continental Purecontact LS. They are quite good and cheaper than the Michelins. But they dont have it at Costco. So I dont think Im gonna opt for it.
When are you buying the tires?
Are you getting the 92v or the 96v MXM4 tires?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts