Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using OpenPilot on my Camry since February 2020 and I love it. I finally got a GoPro Hero 8 camera so I'm able to record videos now. Below is my first video of OpenPilot in action. If you have any questions about it, let me know and I can try to answer them.

For the 2018-2020 Camry, OpenPilot works best if you have XSE/XLE or any of the hybrid trims because of Full Speed Dynamic Cruise Control (gas/brake/vehicle distance). For the camry it uses Toyota's stock cruise control but uses OpenPilot's lateral (steering) controls. As of now there is no way of using OpenPilot's Longitude (gas/brake) controls on the camry due to not having a DSU (Driver System Unit) or it does have it but its integrated into the radar so there is no way to remove it to give OpenPilot full control and not having TSS 2.0. You can swap out the radar with a TSS 2.0 radar but you'll lose AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) and there will be times when the MID will light up like a christmas. I haven't done it though I am thinking about it. Since it uses Toyota's stock curise control, those who have an SE/LE/L, it'll disengage once you go below 32mph. It'll behave as usual.

OpenPilot works best on TSS 2.0 vehicles like the 2019+ Corolla Hatchback, 2020 Corolla Sedan, 2019+ Rav4, 2020 Highlander and etc. These cars are able let OpenPilot take full control without removing the DSU. 2021 Toyota Camry TSS 2.5 will most likely work and be one of the best vehicles to use OpenPilot on.

Check them out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been using OpenPilot on my Camry since February 2020 and I love it. I finally got a GoPro Hero 8 camera so I'm able to record videos now. Below is my first video of OpenPilot in action. If you have any questions about it, let me know and I can try to answer them.

For the 2018-2020 Camry, OpenPilot works best if you have XSE/XLE or any of the hybrid trims because of Full Speed Dynamic Cruise Control. It uses Toyota's stock cruise control but uses OpenPilot's lateral (steering) controls. As of now there is no way of using OpenPilot's Longitude (gas/brake) controls due to not having a DSU (Driver System Unit) or it does have it but its integrated into the radar so there is no way to remove it to give OpenPilot full control. You can swap out the radar with a TSS 2.0 radar but you'll lose AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) and there will be times when the MID will light up like a christmas. I haven't done it though I am thinking about it. Since it uses Toyota's stock curise control, those who have an SE/LE/L, it'll disengage once you go below 32mph. It'll behave as usual.

OpenPilot works best on TSS 2.0 vehicles like the 2019+ Corolla Hatchback, 2020 Corolla Sedan, 2019+ Rav4, 2020 Highlander and etc. 2021 Toyota Camry TSS 2.5 will most likely work and be one of the best vehicles to use OpenPilot on.

Check them out.
Very cool video!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pretty cool. I was thinking of getting this upgrade since I drive 30min to work on the highway everyday. So with open Pilot, you're only getting the steering capability only then correct? Dynamic cruise control performance remains stock?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty cool. I was thinking of getting this upgrade since I drive 30min to work on the highway everyday. So with open Pilot, you're only getting the steering capability only then correct? Dynamic cruise control performance remains stock?
Yes. For the 2018-2020 camry, you are stuck with stock DRCC.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had this in my car for almost a year now. It's fantastic. I have a non-hybrid LE so it just controls the steering, but I work from home so I'm not exactly cranky about not having longitudinal control which would help it perform in stop and go traffic.

My honest review:

Software:

The software is fantastic, Openpilot/Comma.Ai is run by George Holtz, the guy who managed to figure out how to carrier-unlock iPhones when he was 17. So you can imagine how good the software he helps make is. There are frequent updates that actually make significant improvements. When I got it last summer, it worked pretty well already. But it had problems taking curves and didn't support lane changing. Now, it supports lane changing (you turn on your turn signal and nudge your steering wheel a bit in the direction of the lane you want to switch to and it automatically takes it) and handles curves fantastically. I live in Phoenix so our roads are fairly flat and straight, but I'm able to get it to work on 98% of the roads. The only issue I honestly have is sometimes it'll hug the lanes a bit and if there are missing lane lines it'll go a bit wonky. But on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the software a solid 7. Which is pretty damn good for something that's still in beta and is designed to run on dozens of car models, not 4 like Tesla software is.

Hardware:

This is the only major gripe I have with it, which isn't entirely Comma.Ai's fault. OpenPilot is designed to be a 3rd party add on you throw into your car and have it set up and running in less than 5 minutes. The hardest part about the entire installation is centering the mount on your windshield properly. But anyways, the device itself is simply a modified OnePlus phone with some custom hardware and casing. I find it has issues during sundown when the sun is directly into the camera's lens which causes it to be a bit unstable and sometimes it'll deactivate itself. The fan gets decently loud (nothing crazy, you can just hear it buzzing if you have no music on or if the music is quiet) which isn't a big deal, but as someone who likes silence, it's definitely something I notice. But the company is still new and given the success of their recent product release of the Comma2 earlier this year where they were sold out for months and sold a lot more than they expected, I wouldn't be surprised if the Comma3 addresses these issues.

Safety:

Comma.Ai takes safety very seriously, which is something I give them great respect for. If the software feels it can't handle the situation it's in, it'll beep at you and display a message on the screen alerting you to take control. They utilize the front-facing camera for driver monitoring. So if you stare at your phone for longer than ~5 seconds, it'll beep. You don't look up after that, it'll continue to beep, and after about ~15 seconds it'll scream at you and shut itself off to help discourage people from thinking they don't have to pay attention when you're in autopilot. A "fun" feature I discovered a few weeks ago is that it'll also scream at you if you try to take your seatbelt off while it's activated. So not only is it encouraging safe driving practices, but it also discourages people hoping in the backseat to take a nap while in autopilot.

All in all, I love OpenPilot and it was $1200 well spent for a car/tech enthusiast like me. I've had a blast using it and I look forwards to the years to come from Comma.Ai. Hopefully, someone manages to figure out giving OpenPilot longitudinal control on the non-hybrid LE/SE 2018-2020 Camrys so it can essentially be fully functional, but considering I was just excited to have Adaptive Cruise Control when I initially bought my Camry, I'm far more than satisfied with what I have.

Here's a test of mine from a few months ago letting it take full control on an offramp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts