Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the story. I have had the car about a week before I realized that none of the rear speakers were working. I tried the fade and balance controls, and no sound came out when turning it all the way to the rear speakers. I took it into my local dealer, not where I bought the car. The tech couldn’t figure it out. He put in a request to Toyota, and they responded to pull the amp from another car to see if that’s the problem. My concern is: what if he pulls an amp from a regular system? Will it work? I’m just a little afraid that they may try a it.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
95 Posts
Under Audio > Sound > Fader/Balance. I moved setting all the way to rear and had to crank it up to about 24 before I could hear back there. Hybrid LE no amp.

I actually kinda now like it halfway back, better ambiance.

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read your post and you tried that.

·
Registered
2018 Camry XSE
49 Posts
Under Audio > Sound > Fader/Balance. I moved setting all the way to rear and had to crank it up to about 24 before I could hear back there. Hybrid LE no amp.

I actually kinda now like it halfway back, better ambiance.

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read your post and you tried that.
I have an XSE with the JBL upgrade and it’s the same way with mine! I’m going to ask about it when I bring it in for it’s first service.

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They got direction from Toyota to remove an amp from a new car, and install it I’m mine. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! To bad that they would just leave that amp from the other car in mine, but I understand. Anyway, they ordered a new amp, which should be in by the end of the week. That means that it will be mid next week before they can get me in for the installation. That means that it will be my 3rd trip to have this problem corrected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having a problem where my rear speakers will change loudness as I'm listening. No rhyme or reason just go to the set volume to match the front then drop about 20-30 db or so then go back up.
I've been working with my local dealer but so far they haven't figured it out. Maybe the amp is my problem as well, hmmmm.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The front speakers may have a higher sensitivity rating so they would get louder faster plus your sitting in the front seat near them. I have my balance set to more towards the rear speakers to get a fuller sound. If you replaced your rear speakers with a higher sensitivity rating that should give the rear speakers more loudness at the same setting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not really sure what you mean by the front and rear having a different sensitivity setting? The only setting I can think of is the road noise offset for when you are driving to compensate for engine and road noise. That setting has no effect on my issue.
I also have my audio panned to the rear slightly for the same reason, but what happens is with in a split second the rear speakers will basically drop out (loose about 20-30db) then a sec or so later come back just as fast. There's no fading up or down, just quick level changes with no apparent rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not really sure what you mean by the front and rear having a different sensitivity setting? The only setting I can think of is the road noise offset for when you are driving to compensate for engine and road noise. That setting has no effect on my issue.
I also have my audio panned to the rear slightly for the same reason, but what happens is with in a split second the rear speakers will basically drop out (loose about 20-30db) then a sec or so later come back just as fast. There's no fading up or down, just quick level changes with no apparent rhyme or reason.
Its a sensitive rating, not setting. You can only set the balance and forward/back to push more volume to the rear. The higher the sensitivity of a speaker the louder it gets at a lower volume.

Sensitivity
A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). The higher the rating, the louder your speakers will play with a given amount of amplifier power. Sensitivity is often measured by driving a speaker with one watt and measuring the loudness in decibels at one meter. Alternatively, you may see sensitivity measured by driving a speaker with 2.83 volts at one meter.

The chart below illustrates that a few dB in sensitivity can make a big difference (this example uses the one watt at one meter measurement):

Speaker Sensitivity rating Power needed
to produce a given volume
Speaker A 85 dB 100 watts
Speaker B 88 dB 50 watts
Speaker C 91 dB 25 watts
A speaker with a sensitivity rating that's 3 dB higher than another speaker's only needs half as much power to deliver the same amount of sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I understand, but you're missing my complaint of it does it at any point of time at any volume level. It's not consistent with rising or falling volume levels, or even louder or quieter parts of songs.

And on a side note I really hope Toyota wouldn't use that much different ratings of speakers in a single vehicle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like you may be having a different issue. But all of the Models I tested that had the JBL System you had to place the slider down close to the rear speakers so you could start to finally hear them other wise when your sitting in the front seat all you hear is the front speakers.

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE!!!!! They ordered a new amp, and I had to wait an additional week to get back into the dealer for the swap. However, this was not the problem! I'm dealing with Larry, Mo, and Curley for technicians. Let me go into detail. On the first visit "Larry" couldn't determine why there was no sound coming from the rear door speakers, and his diagonise was the amp must be bad. He placed a call to Toyota, and they didn't get back to him until the next day. Toyota instructed the techician to swap out the amp from another car, another visit. On the second visit "Mo" proceeded to swap out and amp from an other new car with a JBL system, but the only car with a JBL system was an Avalon. Duh, the Avalon's amp is not the same since it has more speakers. So "Mo" put it back together, and ordered a new amp. Third visit, Larry installed the new amp, but still no sound coming from the rear door speakers. By now they dealership has another Camry, with a JBL system. "Mo" swaps my amp into the other Camry--and it works properly. Then "Mo" calls the Toyota HQ, and they want him to chase down the wiring to the rear speakers. "Mo" said he's not going to do that, and diagnose that the speakers must be bad. By now it is past the busness hours, and everyone has gone home. The Service Manager calls me this morning with some bad news. Mr. Monroe, I'm sorry to tell you that your speakers are on back order, THERE ARE 83, OWNERS IN FRONT OF YOU. There is not a projected delivery date for the speakers. I'M A LITTLE UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
You would think after a year they would be prepared for this. Mine work, they are just at a lot less volume compared to the front so I have to push the balance way down towards the rear speakers if I want to hear them and get a full sound in the car. I have the JBL Premium. Is it all the rear including the rear deck or just the doors?

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is NO sound coming from either of the two rear door speakers. The a bass speaker in the rear deck does work.

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called Toyota Customer Service. It took a couple of transfers, but I finally made contact with the department that handles the audio problems. I told them that the service department at my local dealership could not give me a ETA for the two speakers. The rep. "Aaron" told me that he would get a date for me. He said that they would be at my local dealer today. Well, not so. The Service Rep. informs me that the new ETA in "projected" to be the 2nd week of October. Another three weeks! I'll be making a call in the morning to "Aaron" and let him know of my disapproval. This is not right!

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE*******
The local dealer replaced both of the speakers in the read door. Now I have a complete stereo. I too found that the martyr4, the rear door speakers are extremly weak, but at least I now have sound coming out of them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
UPDATE*******
The local dealer replaced both of the speakers in the read door. Now I have a complete stereo. I too found that the martyr4, the rear door speakers are extremly weak, but at least I now have sound coming out of them.
Better weak than none at all for sure. If I replace mine it would be with quality speakers that have a high sensitivity rating of around 93 to get the most sound possible while using the weak factory amp.

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Better weak than none at all for sure. If I replace mine it would be with quality speakers that have a high sensitivity rating of around 93 to get the most sound possible while using the weak factory amp.
So you are telling me if I bought a pair of speakers with a high sensitivity rating the sound would be much better?

·
Registered
247 Posts
So you are telling me if I bought a pair of speakers with a high sensitivity rating the sound would be much better?
You still want to pick a quality speaker. But here is the general definition.

A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). The higher the rating, the louder your speakers will play with a given amount of amplifier power. Sensitivity is often measured by driving a speaker with one watt and measuring the loudness in decibels at one meter.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts