Toyota Nation Forum banner

2018 Camry Hybrid LE cabin noise

11K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  eureka125 
#1 ·
Im seriously considering a new Camry LE Hybrid (2018). I have pretty sensitive hearing so excessive road noise especially at highway speeds is pretty bothersome. I have heard some complaints about the Hybrid LE having excessive road noise. Unfortunately I am unable to test drive one here in North Florida since they are all sold out and would have to put down a small deposit to get one. I loved the gas 2018 Camry LE and found inside cabin noise to be fine, but really want the better mileage.

Any 2018 Camry Hybrid owners notice excessive cabin noise or do you basically find it to be smooth and quiet, thanks.

Thanks

#2 ·
Any 2018 Camry Hybrid owners notice excessive cabin noise or do you basically find it to be smooth and quiet, thanks.
I find that our 2018 Camry LE Hybrid cabin is very quiet both at low and highway speeds. Much more quiet than our previous 2010 Prius and certainly more quiet than our 2013 Tacoma.

Very happy with the unit and have around 2000 miles on it now.

#3 ·
You need to find a way to test drive a car you are planning to buy, there is just no other option. I never drove a 18' TCH, but ICE LE and SE are not as quiet as some ppl report. The firewall is pretty well insulated, but wheel wells and doors are not. imo the gen 8 is barely (if any) quieter than the gen 7. If you want quiet test drive a used Avalon hybrid or ES300h. Or get ready to sound deaden at least front doors.

#4 ·
Im seriously considering a new Camry LE Hybrid (2018). I have pretty sensitive hearing so excessive road noise especially at highway speeds is pretty bothersome. I have heard some complaints about the Hybrid LE having excessive road noise. Unfortunately I am unable to test drive one here in North Florida since they are all sold out and would have to put down a small deposit to get one. I loved the gas 2018 Camry LE and found inside cabin noise to be fine, but really want the better mileage.

Thanks
I've owned a 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE and i find the cabin noise is extremely noisy. I've owned the 1997 Toyota Camry and 2008 Toyota Camry and they were much quieter compared to my 2018 TCH SE.

I'm looking to sound deaden the car and will report back once it's complete. If anyone is interested, the car came with Bridgestone Turanza tires.

#6 ·
My 2018 Camry Hybrid LE is the quietest car I've ever owned. It rides on 205/65/16 Firestone tires that seem to be pretty quiet on anything but the coarsest pavement. Whenever our friends ride with us they always comment on how smooth and quiet the car is. Moat of those comments come from the back seat where people seem to really enjoy being back there. I rode back there once when I first got the car to see what it was like and decided that the car was definitely a keeper. It's important to us that our friends are comfortable.

Having said all that though, There are many buzzes whirs and whines going on from the electric motor and regenerative braking system. Even a funny little rock tumbling sound that comes from the front brakes a second before you come to a complete stop. I brought it to Toyota when I first got the car to have that checked out and they determined that it was just part of the regenerative braking system doing it's job. You can feel it in the brake pedal a little bit too. After 35,000 miles it hasn't changed so I guess it's normal.

I drive mostly in total silence. I like to think a lot when I drive so I seldom turn anything on. But all of those little noises go completely away with a little music or the radio playing in the background. The noises are very quiet and I don't even think about them anymore. However if you're the kind of person that obsesses over such things it may not be for you. The only other Hybrid I've ever been in was a friends Prius V and I was amazed how much noisier her car was. It was very apparent when the engine came on and the road noise was much higher. After getting out of her car and back into my car I was so glad I got what I got. It was like night and day. And my Camry Hybrid LE get's about 10 mpg more than her Prius V does. Score!

When I purchased my car there were no Camry Hybrids to be found to test drive. And I had to have the LE with the Lithium-Ion battery or it was no deal. To make matters worse, the 0% 60 month financing offer only had a week left. They ended up locating one 150 miles away, but the other dealer made them trade there beloved special edition Tacoma TRD that they only get two a year of to get it. They asked me if I was sure I was going to buy it if they made the swap and I said yes. I had researched the daylights out if the car before making the decision to buy it, and I have owned several Corolla's and Camry's in the past so I wasn't too concerned about not liking the car. So I bought the car sight unseen and I have never regretted it. It is the nicest car I have ever owned.

#8 ·
I doubt 2018 is that much different than 2020. My 2020 Hybrid LE is very silent as I can have a normal conversation without having to raise my voice. This is the main reason why I bought the hybrid over gas model. I don't think there are much differences among 2018, 2019 and 2020 models in terms of cabin noise.

#9 ·
I currently own a ‘13 and an ‘18 Camry XLE hybrid. Not only is the ‘18 much quieter than the ‘13, mut as mentioned previously, is the quietest car I’ve owned to date. I would also agree that tire selection plays into this.

#10 ·
I have an 18 Hybrid LE and on the highways due to speed, it is loud, there's another post here where Victor tried some deadening but it didn't look like he believed it was worth it. Just over 165,000 KM's so far and I find myself wearing noise cancelling earphones to prevent audio fatigue. Perhaps its the replacement aftermarket windshield or just the things Toyota did to save on weight. If we go on another road trip we're going to have to wear earplugs or figure out some way to talk with noise cancelling earphones on. All that to say, road fatigue is real, loud noise over a prolonged period is not my idea of fun.

#12 ·
Been very satisfied with road noise in my LE, significantly quieter than most cars I've been in including my wife's '17 Pilot. I think the major problem with noise that a lot of cars nowadays have is due to narrow tire sidewalls/wider tires. They're just noisier. That's one reason I got the LE; 65 series sidewalls harder to come by these days and better ride, less noise, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.