Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now that we have WAZE, which warns you of cops ahead, is a radar detector really worth it? I know there will be a situation of a cop, which is not flagged on WAZE, but in all my driving, I find that 95% of the time, WAZE will have all the cops that I have ever passed on highways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally like to run both my radar detector and waze together. Overkill? Quite possibly.

Waze is great for alerting users of stationary police vehicles, but unfortunately is useless if a cop is running and gunning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info! I'm so tired of suction cups that I have visor mounts for my dashcam and detector. Only problem is those wires and trying to figure out how to hide them. I run a Whistler CR90 and a Garmin Dashcam 20. Is removal of the cover like the Lexus? Did you have to make any cutout to run the wire out of the cover? Is there any room to install a flush connector to plug wires or a connector into?

The cut out on the smaller cover where the mirror post goes through has plenty of room for the wire to go through. Love my cr90! Very easy install and I like that I can tuck the wire in the hole to hide it when getting service at the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't thank you enough. This was SUPER easy and did this on my 2019 Camry LE.

I also got away with a cheap $9.99 cable from eBay.

Again, thanks my brother!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now that we have WAZE, which warns you of cops ahead, is a radar detector really worth it? I know there will be a situation of a cop, which is not flagged on WAZE, but in all my driving, I find that 95% of the time, WAZE will have all the cops that I have ever passed on highways.
95% of the time??? Wow. For me, it was maybe 1%. I stopped using Waze cause there was never a cop where it indicated. That and the burn in it created.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just want to
This is what I purchased off of EBAY. The connectors are the very thin type.

I just want to pay it forward.

·
6,226 Posts
It's y'all cars, you do as you wish.
I know 2 things:
1. there is NO protection against LIDAR. NONE.
2. stationary mounted radar detector is for state patrol same, as catching arsonist with box of matches in his pocket. Aggrevating circumstance. You were speeding INTENTIONALLY as you were prepared to defeat the police. Just pisses them off.
I've heard about dueal sensor detectors, with remote sensor mounted down on the bumper or behind the grill, as they point LIDAR at any reflective surface on the vehicle front - hence the front end license plate made with reflective coating. But, as LIDAR is short range line of site speed detector, by the time your detector picks it up and your mind responds, you already passed the cop - and he tagged you.
Radar jammers are heck of illegal anywhere.
It's your call.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts