Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Camry XLE had a listed mpg for city of 28. It is getting 20. Complete diagnostic show all systems working properly. Using 91 octane. Tires inflated properly. Any suggestions for increasing mpg.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For one thing 91 octane is a waste of money for your car receives zero benefit. High octane only helps cars that require it and is designed to run on it. Also, are you using 0w-16 engine oil?. Also, use a Top Tier gas as it cleans better.
Driving tips: The more you brake the more gas you waste. Throttle control is the key, no tailgating, coast more and accelerate gently.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,689 Posts
use 87 octane and save your money.
remember to reset the mpg everytime you refuel.
other than that it heavily depends on how you drive, how you accelerate, brake, weather, how far you drive and etc. I get 19-21mpg on my v6 which is 60% highway and 40% street.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rated for 91 octane. Highway driving gets way more than posted mpg
Is it rated for 91 octane?
Is it city driving only?
Are you a stop'n'go driver?
Do you hypermile?
Rated 91. Only bad mileage in city. Don't hypermile
How are you determining this?
Mileage/gallons
Is it rated for 91 octane?
Is it city driving only?
Are you a stop'n'go driver?
Do you hypermile?
85 to 90% city. Highway mileage exceeds sticker estimate

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,689 Posts
the cars engine is made for 87 octane.....

if you are doing a lot of stop and go/traffic in the city or a lot of red lights/stop signs... you will get poor mileage in the city. It takes more gas to accelerate from a dead stop.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Rated for 91 octane. Highway driving gets way more than posted mpg

Rated 91. Only bad mileage in city. Don't hypermile

Mileage/gallons

85 to 90% city. Highway mileage exceeds sticker estimate
According to Toyota owners manual, 91 is the Euro RON (Research Octane Number) which translates to 87 US octane.

·
8,059 Posts
OP is from the US, far I can tell.
Switch back to 87. Pull out ECM fuse for overnight.
You will never have good mpg in city s'n'go traffic. Electric is a better option.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,280 Posts
I use the gasbuddy app to calculate my mpg and compared to the cars mpg display, the display is around .5 to 1.5 off of the gasbuddy app.
At most, I used Torque Pro and my MPG generally just got higher and higher. Traveling right now it did get lower towards 30 MPG but I don't trust it. I just use my overall average as seen in my MPG thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to Toyota owners manual, 91 is the Euro RON (Research Octane Number) which translates to 87 US octane.
91 octane hasn't existed in Europe for decades.
The lowest now is 95. However, this contains up to 10% ethanol, which is very bad for the engine.
Recommandations here are to use 98 ron premium, preferably with 0% ethanol (but certainly less than 5%).

·
Registered
660 Posts
91 octane hasn't existed in Europe for decades.
The lowest now is 95. However, this contains up to 10% ethanol, which is very bad for the engine.
Recommandations here are to use 98 ron premium, preferably with 0% ethanol (but certainly less than 5%).
For anyone confused, Europe measures the octane rating different and their 95 is similar to 89-90 in the US.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts