Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what to do I'm thinking of after market radio and touchscreen to improve stock radio, and to have android auto. Am I making a mistake buy doing this, I really like android auto and could have better sound with stock speakers. Any input would be appreciated..Thank's

·
Registered
2018 Avalon XLE Premium V6
860 Posts
It's been my experience that most of the stock Toyota head units aren't actually that bad with regard to SQ. The poor SQ is typically from the audio source, equalization, amplification, and speakers. As to SQ with regard to audio source, the fact of the matter is that FM radio, HD radio, Satellite radio and Internet radio/streaming (with a few high-resolution streaming options as an exception) are not that great. Most of those sources compress the signal to make it less data demanding or subjectively remove some of the signal under the auspices of considering the removed data as insignificant.

If you want to have Android Auto, yes, you'll need to switch the head to have full integration with the screen. The issue this creates is how well that after-market head unit integrates with all of the other systems that you accessed through the stock screen. On that subject, I am not an expert. Others with experience with your vehicle may have a better idea of what would work for you. Maybe there's a Maestro interface that would work for you? If you do go with a different head unit, you'll still need to address the speakers (and maybe amplification) if your goal is to improve the SQ.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wondering what to do I'm thinking of after market radio and touchscreen to improve stock radio, and to have android auto. Am I making a mistake buy doing this, I really like android auto and could have better sound with stock speakers. Any input would be appreciated..Thank's
Revisiting...did you ever upgrade? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this unit - will cost $550 after parts and install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts