Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Camry SE Hybrid - 16,000+ miles on odometer.

I have twice had issues now in refueling our 2018 Camry SE Hybrid, when the fuel tank is low.

The first time, I started refueling, slowly and "manually", as New York State does not allow auto-fill nozzles at gas stations. After about 2.8-gallons was pumped in, the pumps stopped like the tank was full. Knowing the tank was nearly completely empty, since I had driven nearly 580 miles on the tank prior to refilling, with the gas idiot light on and needle pointing directly to 'E'.
I attempted to pump more in, but the car accepted some fuel, then literally "spit it back out" down the side of the car. It didn't just act like I "overfilled" it. It was actually pushing the gasoline back up the fill tube and out!
That day, the car was hot having just been on a three hour drive, and it was very hot outside - 90+ degrees. I then drove around the parking lot several times, and tried to add more fuel, but the Camry would not accept any more gasoline. As I left the station, the gauge was below 1/4 full mark. The next morning, I tried to fill it again, and it accepted around 9 more gallons without an issue.

Today, I pulled in to refuel just as the "gas" light popped on. It was first thing in the morning, 67 degrees outside, and the Camry had been driven just 5 miles from sitting overnight. I could not pump more than 2.2 gallons into the tank! I even waited a minute or so, and tried to continue my fill up, but it just would not accept any more gas.
Later in the morning, after driving only about 30 miles, I stopped again, and was able to pump 8+ gallons in without any issue. AND, I was at the exact same pump as earlier in the morning, thus eliminating a 'pump' causing the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I know it's not recommended to operate any vehicle until nearly empty, but what would be causing not being able to refuel, when the tank is empty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I've had my car for a year and a half and it's happened twice too. It happened to my old car too to the point where it wouldn't take gas anymore. I dont fill my tank up past the click. In my old car I had the whole tank replaced and that didnt work. I hope someone here had an answer

·
8,164 Posts
There's LONG thread on this in RAV4 Hybrid section too. I am suspicious, RAV and Camry have same tank set up. YOu are not alone. Not helpful, but, at least the word is going to dealers and up the ladder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had thus problem when the fueling area was not level... Nose down. Pulled around so that the nose was up (or went down the street to a station where the fueling area was level) and had no problem.
First time this happened I was on the road visiting a relative so I took it to the local dealer. They changed a bunch of parts. All was OK until 6 months later when I stopped at the same gas station and the exact same thing happened again! I went to another station with a level pumping area and had no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. I've had my car for a year and a half and it's happened twice too. It happened to my old car too to the point where it wouldn't take gas anymore. I dont fill my tank up past the click. In my old car I had the whole tank replaced and that didnt work. I hope someone here had an answer
Yes sir I have a 2019 had the problem took it to the dealer twice.
the second time the mechanic told me thatit is a feature to luck thehole. You may not touch the little buttom at the side of the little door when pomping Gad . Make sure the nuzzle that has that round lid do not touch that little button with the nuzzle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts