·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there, My camry has weird shifts.
Mine was ordered on 10/2017
1 - not smooth shifting going from 1st to 4th
2 - not smooth downshifting
3 - going uphill is gonna upshift and than downshift right away cuz it cant go.
4 - going downhill 75+ MPH stays on 6th gear I need to shift with the paddleshifter to upshift
5 - slowing down below 5 mph and then reaccelerating send the car forward as a rocket ship for 1 sec without using much gas. And is really annoying because it send your head in the head rest.
6 - accelerating more aggressively when I look at my RPMs I dont know if its me, but I feel like the RPM needle go up and then slightly (just a bit) down without shifting.

I work as a Valet and had a few different trim camrys. 2018s 2019s le xse se 4cyl and v6 and none of them had the same shifting issues (at least what I could try around the block). I am wondering if its the transmission or something else.

I asked the service advisor and he said they will check if there’s any “bolts-in” whatever that means and he said the car has no issues. I don’t think they even took it for a test drive because I had the same miles.
Why is there difference between mine and theirs? Its the same engine and transmission as far as I know.
anybody else has any issues like mine? Maybe changing the trans fluid will fix it? I plan to do it at 30k
Please advice me what to do, this is the only thing I don’t like about the car, but it’s enough to go and look for a different one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
m camrys. 2018s 2019s le xse se 4cyl and v6 and none of them had the same shifting issues (at least what I could try around the block). I am wondering if its the t

Toyota has recognized the transmission problem and issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) in response. The article (TSB #T-SB-0330-17) points to a problem with the car’s main computer, the powertrain control module (PCM). Dealers have been instructed to reprogram the PCM to remedy the concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have an early 2018 xse. Mine is a v6 and arrived 11/2017. I have 24k miles and my trans acts just as you described since I purchased it. I’ll add that when the car is cold not up to temp regardless of the weather, the 1-2 shift is harsh enough that it will actually spill coffe from a cup. Been to the dealer multiple times with no changes or solutions. The current tsb referenced in the prior reply does not apply for the V6 but rumors are its solves the problems for the 4cyl issues. There is no fix yet for v6 owners. However, I turned off the body torque control function and that smoothed things a little bit but, it still performs very poorly for a $39k car. It’s very disappointing and our 2018 Tacoma trd was so bad transmission wise, it went to the dealer 9 times in 11 months. We ended up cutting our losses and traded the Tacoma in. Toyota’s trans issue are wide spread and appear to be programming related, not an actual mechanical problem. If you read up, tacoma, new rav, camry and highlander all have huge complaints.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,094 Posts
There is already a thread about this here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too have an early 2018 xse. Mine is a v6 and arrived 11/2017. I have 24k miles and my trans acts just as you described since I purchased it. I’ll add that when the car is cold not up to temp regardless of the weather, the 1-2 shift is harsh enough that it will actually spill coffe from a cup. Been to the dealer multiple times with no changes or solutions. The current tsb referenced in the prior reply does not apply for the V6 but rumors are its solves the problems for the 4cyl issues. There is no fix yet for v6 owners. However, I turned off the body torque control function and that smoothed things a little bit but, it still performs very poorly for a $39k car. It’s very disappointing and our 2018 Tacoma trd was so bad transmission wise, it went to the dealer 9 times in 11 months. We ended up cutting our losses and traded the Tacoma in. Toyota’s trans issue are wide spread and appear to be programming related, not an actual mechanical problem. If you read up, tacoma, new rav, camry and highlander all have huge complaints.
Toyota: "Normal operating characteristics".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Toyota has recognized the transmission problem and issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) in response. The article (TSB #T-SB-0330-17) points to a problem with the car’s main computer, the powertrain control module (PCM). Dealers have been instructed to reprogram the PCM to remedy the concern.
I bought the car used. How do I know if the update hasn’t been applied yet?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am in Drive and I can upshift, it’s like reminding the car what it needs to do.
Not possible. Tapping up on the paddle just allows the Camry to use a higher top gear, but when you're in D it's always in the highest gear that it wants to use. You cannot force it higher. An exception would be if you had just forced a downshift, and then wanted to quickly "let" the car shift back up. But in that case, you'd be in S# and not D.

One of the transmission threads here has a thorough explanation of how the system works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not possible. Tapping up on the paddle just allows the Camry to use a higher top gear, but when you're in D it's always in the highest gear that it wants to use. You cannot force it higher. An exception would be if you had just forced a downshift, and then wanted to quickly "let" the car shift back up. But in that case, you'd be in S# and not D.

One of the transmission threads here has a thorough explanation of how the system works.
Thats not my experience with the car. Let me explain:

Going uphill 70mph the car downshifts to maintain speed. (I think it downshifts to 5th gear)
After the uphill theres an downhill and the car accelerates to 75 mph without me using any gas.
the car stays in the same gear while the RPM goes up. 2.5k +
Clicking on the paddleshifter twice brings the RPM around 2k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just spoke with a service advisor and he said there’s no open recalls on my vin. Also he said toyota would send me a letter if there’s any updates for my car or the ECM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats not my experience with the car. Let me explain:

Going uphill 70mph the car downshifts to maintain speed. (I think it downshifts to 5th gear)
After the uphill theres an downhill and the car accelerates to 75 mph without me using any gas.
the car stays in the same gear while the RPM goes up. 2.5k +
Clicking on the paddleshifter twice brings the RPM around 2k.
In that situation, I’m pretty sure the shifting logic is working as intended.

The transmission stays in a lower gear when you are going downhill in order take advantage of engine braking, which helps keep you from overheating your brakes if you’re driving through a hilly or mountainous area.

The effect seems even more pronounced when using cruise control because the system is capable of using engine braking much more aggressively than older, simpler cruise control systems could.

The transmission will automatically upshift after you transition from a downhill to a flat road surface.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

When to the dealer yesterday and wanted to update my ECU with the latest TSB.

dealer told me the TSB is current and doesn’t need update.
I asked the dealer to check my transmission fluid level. “I know my motorcycle is acting up when the fluid isn’t correct “ what I said. They kept the car overnight and checked on cold the next morning.

upon checking they find out the transmission fluid was about 1/2 quarts lower from the factory. They’ve put about 6 pumps of fluid.

car shifting is improved

1 - 18 of 18 Posts