Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title pretty much sums it up - our 2018 CVT with 7k miles on it - has been suffering from a shake/vibration/shudder (call it what you will) between 20-30 mph or so. It occurs in all driving modes and regardless of the amount of throttle

I've read about this problem here before and in general web searches - this particular dealer is attributing the problem to front drive axles (makes sense to me) - I'll let you know if this helps the situation or if we'll have to continue to look for the root cause.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Are you saying there are other reports of this issue?

I haven't heard about them. Can you please link to the posts here? I'd like more information

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying there are other reports of this issue?

I haven't heard about them. Can you please link to the posts here? I'd like more information
Hi Tagheuer

If you google - Corolla drive line shake or shudder or vibration etc....(or searches like that) you'll come up with a decent amount of material to read - that said here is one example from our forum

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-corolla-11th-gen-sedan-2014-2019-scion-im-2016-2018/1359977-cvt-driveline-shudder-when-accelerating-form-low-speed-roll.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
axles were replaced and problem persists dealer tells me - so car remains at dealer - on to the next thing....

·
2,631 Posts
Please tell me they checked wheel balance before they tore your new car apart.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell me they checked wheel balance before they tore your new car apart.
yes for sure thanks for mentioning - its not a wheel balance issue - after owning more cars than I care to admit - this is something different - not your typical in the wheel or in your seat vibration / just thankful the main tech took the time to drive the car (with me in it) so he feels what I feel

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's certainly going to be nothing they can fix. It is a characteristic of the car.

I've been in 3 now, they have all done it. I'm sure most people don't even notice it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's certainly going to be nothing they can fix. It is a characteristic of the car.

I've been in 3 now, they have all done it. I'm sure most people don't even notice it.
You and I are likely experiencing two different things (or your tolerance for such things is higher than mine and the techs) as I mentioned one up - the lead tech drove the car (with me in the passenger seat) and he agrees something is wrong - fortunately he is the one wrenching on the car as well.

They (the dealer) are going to be hard pressed to tell me "they can't fix it" after they have already admitted something is wrong. And at this point they have to fix it - in California if your car goes in for repair 4x for the same thing (which it will if they can't fix it) - or stays at the dealer more than 30 days it's a lemon and it goes back to the manufacturer. Sooooo tick-tock

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't tolerate that!

W95c
Well, to each his own.

The OP could very well be experiencing a different (more severe) issue. But given the 25-30mph the OP states, I'm betting its the same thing. I was very concerned about it when I first noticed it, but my concern went away when I realized it was not isolated to my car. The 2 other cars I have been in experienced the same thing, and people on this forum mentioned the same thing with their cars. So maybe it is a failure of something that happens on all the cars, or maybe it is a characteristic of the car regardless of mileage. I can say the lowest mileage one I have been in had 24k on it, and it did it. Maybe a brand new one does not exhibit the behavior. Either way, I'm not letting it get me worked up.

I just bought a brand new F150 a few weeks ago. It has a drivetrain clunk on startup as well as some other random oddities. Ford has called them all characteristics of the 5.0 and A10 combination. I'm not going to get worked up over those either, as they seem to be annoyances and nothing catastrophic.

I'm still guessing this is a characteristic of the car and the dealership is unable to resolve it completely. Any tech worth a shit would say the same thing the OPs tech said. It does NOT feel right at all. But when multiple cars all exhibit the same behavior, it starts to be 'normal' and 'characteristic' of the car... no matter how wrong it feels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something for everyone to keep in mind....my sons car is 11 months old with roughly 5k miles and the dealer has already taken the time to replace both driveshafts in hopes of remedying the problem (as shared this didn't help) - point being they already have sweat equity invested in the problem - so there's really no turning back for them now.

If this was a problem exhibited in ALL Corollas - they wouldn't take the time to try to fix mine IMHO - I just think some people (not pointing a finger at anyone) tolerate things like this - I don't - after owning 35 cars in my 47 years (from lifted trucks - to exotics and a whole slew of European imports) - I can tell you there is something not right - and I am not a pea under the mattress type of person - but I am a person that expects things to operate correctly/as designed and my car is presently not doing that.

This is a tough one to discuss in a forum because how in the hell can we reasonably explain what we are feeling (in terms of shudder) so others can understand....we can't really. I suspect some shudder is to be expected (maybe) but mine is exaggerated for some reason to a level that is unacceptable for me as a customer and the dealer tech - that said whatever my fix ends up being - I think it'll be some good meaningful information for the forum and help others give their dealers a starting point should they experience the same.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just bought a brand new F150 a few weeks ago. It has a drivetrain clunk on startup as well as some other random oddities. Ford has called them all characteristics of the 5.0 and A10 combination. I'm not going to get worked up over those either, as they seem to be annoyances and nothing catastrophic.
Two different situations right?

Your dealer has stated unequivocally "those are characteristics of the V8/10 Speed Combo" so you rightfully say okay and go on your way.

In my case the dealer has said - "no that is not right and we need to find the root cause and fix it" - had they told me "Chris and Son yup that's just how these there Toyota's are" I would have walked away quietly - adjusted my expectations as to how a new Toyota Corolla should drive and headed home. And would plan on never buying another Toyota.

Anyhoo we'll see - tick tock

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two different situations right?

Your dealer has stated unequivocally "those are characteristics of the V8/10 Speed Combo" so you rightfully say okay and go on your way.

In my case the dealer has said - "no that is not right and we need to find the route cause and fix it" - had they told me "Chis and Son yup that's just how these there Toyota's are" I would have walked away quietly - adjusted my expectations as to how a new Toyota Corolla should drive and headed home. And would plan on never buying another Toyota.

Anyhoo we'll see - tick tock
Yes and no. Ford corporate has said those are characteristics of the combination... so as people have tried to lemon law them they are not succeeding as the arbitration process sides with Ford. This was not the dealerships saying this. The dealerships said "that aint right, lets throw some parts at it" and eventually Ford tells them it is exactly right (and operating as designed).

Toyota has made no such mention of this being characteristic (to my knowledge) but my experience with 3 Corollas show they all do the same shudder. When 3 cars do it and other people online experience the same thing, you start to think maybe it is a characteristic of the car.

I truly hope your shudder is the same as mine (and others) and gets resolved. My car is CPOd and if I can walk into the dealership with information about resolving the issue I will. You are spot on though, you cant relay in words how a shudder feels. I just know my car (and many others) have a shudder at the same speeds you mention.

I guess in the end though the Toyota Corolla is an economy car. Don't expect Toyota (or your dealership) to move heaven and earth to make it perfect for you. It is not an exotic or even a european car where you can at least scream and yell that you bought a 'premium' car and expect to be treated as such. It is a cheap mass produced economy box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
**update for day 3**

update is there is no update - dealer called to tell me that they have "downloaded and sent all requested electronic information to Toyota and are waiting to hear back on next steps"

tick tock....

ps-dealer is being great to me so that makes things easier - off to pick up my loaner car a little later today

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
**update for day 4**

• I am the proud new foster parent of a white RAV4 - only problem is because my Son is just now 18 and under 21 - he cannot drive it - sooooo he's driving one of my cars
  • other than that...you may refer to the picture below

Attachments

·
New TN User
50 Posts
My car has this issue. Going between 18-22mph it has a horrible shutter and when going up a hill it can turn into a pretty good shake. Of course my head gasket has already needed replacing at 11k miles. So I don’t doubt it has several other issues. Dealership said the car is supposed to do it and the Corollas were just made tonride rough. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
**update for day 5**

• Toyota has instructed the dealer to install a new transmission
  • Tranny will arrive tomorrow or Monday (I assume the latter)
  • I will report back once the tranny is in and I have heard back from the dealer
ps-once I get this resolved (assuming it does get resolved) I will be sharing all pertinent information with the forum (including scanned copies of the repair paperwork etc..) in hopes that my experience can help someone else

·
New TN User
50 Posts
**update for day 5**

• Toyota has instructed the dealer to install a new transmission
  • Tranny will arrive tomorrow or Monday (I assume the latter)
  • I will report back once the tranny is in and I have heard back from the dealer
ps-once I get this resolved (assuming it does get resolved) I will be sharing all pertinent information with the forum (including scanned copies of the repair paperwork etc..) in hopes that my experience can help someone else
I look Forward to seeing that paperwork so I can show my dealer and maybe they will take my concerns more seriously. You would think after it having a bad head gasket they would take drivetrain issues seriously with my car.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts