Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many threads on this...but I’m posting here to ask if there is any low battery, or low charging indication, that should have happen versus the battery being worthless so suddenly?

I looked through the manual but may have missed something....old cars used to have a battery light and such.

This never was seen...off the web...”
  • Charging System Warning Light – Whether your SUV has a low battery, a problem with the charging system, or a bad alternator, you’ll see a light that looks like your battery.”

My wife was driving her highlander and the car wouldn’t start....
....out of warranty ....70K miles (we drive a lot)... car AS/S system shut the engine down....and wouldn’t restart.

low brake pressure message ... soon the lights compete flickered and went out. Jump starting wouldn’t work (tried twice)....battery slow to charge on plug-in charger....

Bought new non-oem AGM battery (Toyota wanted $400 for their OEM) and seems to work fine.

Very irritating Toyota! Fortunately, I was not traveling for work, so I could pick everyone up and install a new battery the next day....and didn‘t have to get it towed....

2 years and kaput....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Been driving since 1968 and never had a car that gave me a low battery warning. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Dead batteries are annoying and inconvenient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Batteries rarely give a "warning." Today's manufacturer's batteries are a crap shoot at best. There are hefty requirements for recycled lead content.

My 2016 Corolla------factory battery dead in 14 months. 2017 Tundra-----factory battery still going after 4 years. The 2019 Highlander is only 11 months old and doing just fine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My brother in law has a 7 year old Camry with the original factory battery In it and still cranks flawlessly. I, one the other hand, have never gotten more then 3 years out of batteries on my Highlanders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Y’all realize that SS vehicles manage the charge rate to gain a couple of tenths mpg. Right? The battery remains undercharged in all conditions which kills batteries quickly. Buy a charger and hook it up nightly or replace the battery every 2-3 years. Thanks EPA!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have briefed my wife (again) how to turn the A/SS system off after every start...(surprised she said she got used to it...ugh...Lol)

The old battery water level was normal.....just an aside.

Thanks to this site I didn’t get the $400 Toyota OEM battery....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I add distilled water once a year to all my car batteries hoping it will help prolong their life. Also picked up a quick battery tester and trickle charge because my car sits a whole lot more now that I'm working from home.

·
6,458 Posts
I have briefed my wife (again) how to turn the A/SS system off after every start...(surprised she said she got used to it...ugh...Lol)

The old battery water level was normal.....just an aside.

Thanks to this site I didn’t get the $400 Toyota OEM battery....
Just get the module that turns it off for you everytime so you don't have to remember :)
Very common complaint..

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
529 Posts
I think the real trick here is to pry off the battery caps once a year, check water level, and add DISTILLED water. There's no such thing as a sealed 12v auto battery. They get warm/hot. Water evaporates out of them. Old school car batteries had easy screw-off caps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just get the module that turns it off for you everytime so you don't have to remember :)
Very common complaint..
Are you not allowed to advertise your module here or what? Always seems to be this vague, beat around the bush reference...

·
6,458 Posts
Are you not allowed to advertise your module here or what? Always seems to be this vague, beat around the bush reference...
I try not advertise and just be a mod on here and do my job. So that's why :)
It was created with all the members help on here though.... ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 Highlander -- 24,000 miles -- on my THIRD OEM battery. WTF?? first one lasted about 6 months - 2nd one lasted about 16 months. Dealer called and are putting ANOTHER new one in. Also, Camber bolt bad.
Doesn't give me a warm feeling about Toyota quality !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts