Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For awhile now my wife has been telling me that gas spills out of the Highlander when she is filling up after the pump shuts off. I told her to use different pumps and she reported the same anomaly.

So I took it to get filled up and it spilled gas out after the pump shut off. Probably half a cup or more. Then I brought my truck back to the same pump, and it didn’t happen.

The dealer adamantly denies anything wrong with the car. Keeps saying over and over that the sensor is on the pump. Went on to say if they run diagnostics and nothing is wrong they will charge us.

I’m thinking there is something wrong with the gas tank vent but I’m not a mechanic. Anyone have any issues like this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KkmNhu9rB-11TngyACZ-m05iEyTy5b8v/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
This happened to my wife once. But just once so far. I pumped gas in it a few times since with no issues and various gas stations..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This happened to my wife once. But just once so far. I pumped gas in it a few times since with no issues and various gas stations..

Sounds like yours was just a one timer hopefully. I can say though that out of the thousands of times I’ve filled up vehicles over 32 years, it’s probably happened two times. With this Highlander it happens 9/10 times. Maybe something wrong with the filler neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
521 Posts
Do you run the fill up nozzle at wide open? I ask because in my opinion, the pump nozzle will shut off quicker and not over fill running wide open rather than at a slower fill speed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you run the fill up nozzle at wide open? I ask because in my opinion, the pump nozzle will shut off quicker and not over fill running wide open rather than at a slower fill speed.

Yes, wide open. Most pumps in Massachusetts don’t even have the clicker to walk away so you have to stand there. But yes max flow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2017 never does this, nor has any other car I ever owned except one. I bought a 1992 Taurus new and every time I filled it gas puked out of the filler neck. A guy at work bought a new Mercury Sable and same exact issue. Both our dealers claimed nothing was wrong and Ford lied and said they never heard of such an issue. Yes it’s infuriating and yes something is wrong with your car. I would stay on their ass and tell them it’s a safety hazard, which it really is.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,289 Posts
offtrac….about video. Looks like gas spilled out cause pump nozzle not sealed at filler neck. No overflow etc when filling mine on fast or slow fill. I always make sure pump nozzle makes seal at neck. Assume auto fill shut off (if it has it) want happen if not sealed at filler neck? No, don't plan on confirming. :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
offtrac….about video. Looks like gas spilled out cause pump nozzle not sealed at filler neck. No overflow etc when filling mine on fast or slow fill. I always make sure pump nozzle makes seal at neck. Assume auto fill shut off (if it has it) want happen if not sealed at filler neck? No, don't plan on confirming. :wink:

Nozzle was all the way in...

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
It's a 2018, so when did this problem start? How long did you have the car before the problem started? How many miles? Could anything have changed around the time this started happening?

Hopefully no one "tops off" the tank by forcing in a little more after the pump stops itself. I've read about that habit leading to problems like this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2018, so when did this problem start? How long did you have the car before the problem started? How many miles? Could anything have changed around the time this started happening?

Hopefully no one "tops off" the tank by forcing in a little more after the pump stops itself. I've read about that habit leading to problems like this.

It definitely started happening over the last 5k miles, there are 10500 on the odometer. The only thing different is the season.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is still under warranty. Can you make an appointment to have a service technician accompany you to a gas station and have him/her fill up the tank? For the dealer, seeing is believing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is still under warranty. Can you make an appointment to have a service technician accompany you to a gas station and have him/her fill up the tank? For the dealer, seeing is believing.

Yes it’s under warranty. I sent them a video, awaiting a reply...

·
8,212 Posts
WOW, 2018 model and you have 105 000 miles on it? Unless it's typo on the phone, I do that easy...

But anyhow. No, it's not normal. Also, explain to dealer that you:
1. have documented concern with vehicle under warranty
2. that that concern is actually SAFETY concern, so if your vehicle catches fire and blows gas station, killing X amount of people, you will transfer liability onto them as they neglected it. Manufacturers are rather sensitive with safety concerns, like brakes, seat belts, air bags, etc. Toyota does not really want another lawsuit, right?
3. videos. You have multiple videos, right? No one off? Find Toyota Area Market manager contact, upload videos to the cloud and send him link to those vids, with a little "I am concerned with mine and others safety" note.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10,500 not 100k

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know how to find area market manager? Dealer refusing to respond to me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. However, mine leaked after they tried to fix a "knocking" sound after filling the tank. It only happens when the tank is full. The tech said the float assembly was not aligned causing the "knock". Gave the truck back to me, no more "knock" but then this happened after filling up again:

Sent it back to Toyota and they reversed the so called fix. No longer leaking but "knocking" is back. Still waiting for solution from Toyota. Apparently, some Lexus models experience the same issue.

EDIT: forgot to mention, mine is also a 2018 Limited (Canadian version) aka Limited Platinum in US with only 5-6k kms on the odo. Gas fumes were getting inside the cabin so they were quick to revert back to how it was from factory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the same issue. However, mine leaked after they tried to fix a "knocking" sound after filling the tank. It only happens when the tank is full. The tech said the float assembly was not aligned causing the "knock". Gave the truck back to me, no more "knock" but then this happened after filling up again: https://youtu.be/I7PQ15_9mFU

Sent it back to Toyota and they reversed the so called fix. No longer leaking but "knocking" is back. Still waiting for solution from Toyota. Apparently, some Lexus models experience the same issue.

EDIT: forgot to mention, mine is also a 2018 Limited (Canadian version) aka Limited Platinum in US with only 5-6k kms on the odo. Gas fumes were getting inside the cabin so they were quick to revert back to how it was from factory.

Wow that’s a lot of gas! Where is that spilling from? The fill hole?

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,289 Posts
Digital...float assembly you refer to, is it inside gas tank? If so, its suppose to be sealed so gas can't leak/flow out when filling or when OTR & its sloshing around in tank. If not, what else would cause gas to leak like shown in video?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Digital...float assembly you refer to, is it inside gas tank? If so, its suppose to be sealed so gas can't leak/flow out when filling or when OTR & its sloshing around in tank. If not, what else would cause gas to leak like shown in video?
The float itself is inside the tank but the whole assembly is located at the top of the tank and should be sealed. However, when they tried to "fix" the issue, the assembly was not seated properly and not making a good seal causing fuel and fumes to leak out when filling up. Leak only happens when I pump gas till it clicks to stop. Then I guess whatever was in the filler tube leaks out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts