Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
BTW the -48020 in the repair order is a solenoid valve on the canister. That’s still the “symptom “ I was talking about.

Search for the valve (77720-48060) in the TSB another member posted. I can’t find a picture but I think that might be the ~$90 float check valve on the top of the tank that I suspect is the culprit. Doing more searches on that.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
BTW the -48020 in the repair order is a solenoid valve on the canister. That’s still the “symptom “ I was talking about.

Search for the valve (77720-48060) in the TSB another member posted. I can’t find a picture but I think that’s the ~$90 float check valve on the top of the tank that I suspect is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
Yeah that’s the venting solenoid really. The symptom, not the cause I think it is.

Let me do some more searches on the float I was talking about.

EDIT: looks like dealer catalog still shows it as part of the fuel tank. If so they might need to get you a new tank. But they may be able to get it as part of the TSB if that’s the valve I thought it was if I can only get a picture on it. (BTW the TSB might be a slightly different problem but if they can’t get a separate float valve I think a new tank is called for.)

Brush up on your state’s Lemon Law. It might be expiring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah that’s the venting solenoid really. The symptom, not the cause I think it is.

Let me do some more searches on the float I was talking about.

EDIT: looks like dealer catalog still shows it as part of the fuel tank. If so they might need to get you a new tank. But they may be able to get it as part of the TSB if that’s the valve I thought it was if I can only get a picture on it. (BTW the TSB might be a slightly different problem but if they can’t get a separate float valve I think a new tank is called for.)

Brush up on your state’s Lemon Law. It might be expiring.
It’s expired technically. 12 months/15k miles. Unless the fact that the original problem started before the time period expired....

Do you have a illustrated parts diagram of the part you’re referencing?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It’s expired technically. 12 months/15k miles. Unless the fact that the original problem started before the time period expired....

Expired or not something like this has a good case to fight and even start emailing corporate about gasoline literally pouring out of the tank because of a manufacturing flaw and toyota is refusing to fix it. The example the other poster showed with gasoline literally pouring out the bottom of the car would terrify me. What better way to set your car on fire... i imagine that's not the kind of publicity they want for their successful highlander line.

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts

Plenty of sites like above, but just not enough detail. So I can’t get a finger on the part.

Maybe the dealer or HQ is willing to let you talk to a tech rep. Then you can point out the dealer is fixing the symptom but you think the real culprit is the tank filling float type cutoff valve. I’m not sure what kind of design changes were there but they should know.

May try another dealership with a fresh set of eyes. Otherwise some local TV stations have consumer advocates who might be able to help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Plenty of sites like above, but just not enough detail. So I can’t get a finger on the part.

Maybe the dealer or HQ is willing to let you talk to a tech rep. Then you can point out the dealer is fixing the symptom but you think the real culprit is the tank filling float type cutoff valve. I’m not sure what kind of design changes were there but they should know.

May try another dealership with a fresh set of eyes. Otherwise some local TV stations have consumer advocates who might be able to help.
Any idea what #5 is? It’s pictured but not listed anywhere? Is this the one that’s part of the tank?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Update:

Still in loaner. Regional Rep duplicated problem at the pump. Suspected faulty gas tank. Waiting on new tank install.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
After 15 days, I finally have the HL back. Now just need to run through a few tanks and verify the fix.

New gas tank
New evap canister

41 - 55 of 55 Posts