Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 2018 XE Hybrid Camry yesterday and come up with several questions that the sales people couldn't answer, no surprise there.

1. Does this car require 0W16 oil? If so is there an option to use 0W20 and stay within the requirements of the warranty?

2. Why, according to toyota's web site, is the LE rated at 51/53 MPG while the SE and XLE are rated at 44/47? Sales people said it's because the "gears" are different, I am skeptical of that answer because I think all three models use the exact same hybrid system. I tend to believe it may have something to do with weight and tire width.

3. The sales people said the new 2018 hybrids use a lithium-ion battery. I read on another internet site that only the LE model gets the li-ion battery and the other two modes still use the NiMH battery. Does anyone have some accurate information on this?

4. Why in the world does Toyota think we need a paddle shifter and fake gears in a hybrid car? Dosen't the computer select the correct ratio for all conditions if I just leave the car in drive? I realize I might occasionally need the "B" mode if I am decending a long steep hill with a fully charged battery but in my Prius I never felt the need to shift.

5. How am I suppose to know when to shift the fake gears with my new paddle shifters without a tach.

·
6,226 Posts
Hybrid engine: 2.5-Liter Dynamic Force 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve D-4S Dual Injection with Dual VVT-i with ECO, Normal, Sport and EV62 drive modes; 176 hp @ 5700 rpm; 163 lb.-ft. @ 5200

That's the only engine available across the lineup.
SE even has paddle shifters to lend the CVT the feel of a six-speed automatic.

My guess is you'll be shifting between drive modes, not gears. PSD does not have any gears in sense of automatic transmission. I forgot exactly the ration, but it always runs in some most favorable gear ratio. Paddles sound like pure sales gimmick to me. Everybody has them - we got them too.
the LE’s battery is lithium ion and the SE and XLE nickel-metal hydride) thanks to the new TNGA architecture improvements

And heck of ugly snout. But that's my personal "eye of beholder". No doubt many will find it pretty.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I test drove a 2018 XE Hybrid Camry yesterday and come up with several questions that the sales people couldn't answer, no surprise there.

1. Does this car require 0W16 oil? If so is there an option to use 0W20 and stay within the requirements of the warranty?

2. Why, according to toyota's web site, is the LE rated at 51/53 MPG while the SE and XLE are rated at 44/47? Sales people said it's because the "gears" are different, I am skeptical of that answer because I think all three models use the exact same hybrid system. I tend to believe it may have something to do with weight and tire width.

3. The sales people said the new 2018 hybrids use a lithium-ion battery. I read on another internet site that only the LE model gets the li-ion battery and the other two modes still use the NiMH battery. Does anyone have some accurate information on this?

4. Why in the world does Toyota think we need a paddle shifter and fake gears in a hybrid car? Dosen't the computer select the correct ratio for all conditions if I just leave the car in drive? I realize I might occasionally need the "B" mode if I am decending a long steep hill with a fully charged battery but in my Prius I never felt the need to shift.

5. How am I suppose to know when to shift the fake gears with my new paddle shifters without a tach.
I bought the car a few weeks ago and I LOVE IT. I have an XLE. The LE was too stripped for me and the XLE is honestly more luxurious than my 2016 Mercedes. The MPG's are lower because of weight, rims, and battery difference.

None of the Hybrids have paddle shifters...but drive mode buttons. Well...at least the 3 models I test drove didn't.

I got 50MPG and 661 Miles out of the very first tank of gas. (see my most recent thread)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow thats great mileage and a beautiful car! How pleased are you with the adaptive cruise? Ive just started researching new cars and am blown away but the safety / convenience technology Toyota is putting on their cars as standard equipment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow thats great mileage and a beautiful car! How pleased are you with the adaptive cruise? Ive just started researching new cars and am blown away but the safety / convenience technology Toyota is putting on their cars as standard equipment.
I?ve been using radar cruise for 3 years now. I commute 116 miles RT daily and unless the car comes to a complete stop I use radar cruise the entire way. It?s never failed me once. It can brake a abruptly from time to time - but it?s usually warranted.

I use radar cruise 90% of the time while driving. It?s that good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of the Hybrids have paddle shifters...but drive mode buttons. Well...at least the 3 models I test drove didn't.
I must say the SE I tested did drive very nicely, good tracking. Seemed it would be a very good highway car which is what I am looking for. It did have paddle shifters though, I didn't drive or sit in the LE or the XLE but just took the sales persons word that they also had the paddles. Probably just misinformation from the sales person. In fact if your car does not have them that pretty much settles the question because you must know what's in your own car. I'll look more closely next time I'm by there and let everyone know what I find.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I stand corrected Tumble. SE is the only model with paddles. Down by the shifter did you see a ECO, Normal, & Sport button?

Definitely no paddles in my XLE.

I bet the paddles move you through the modes. Also - I could throw the transmission in manual and use the stick to switch gears too.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good info! The research Ive been doing relays that all the 2018 Camry Hybrids have Full Speed Range Cruise control that would be perfect in stop and go traffic. Have you used that feature yet? I plan on trying to rent a 2018 Camry LE Hybrid for a couple days from the dealership and trying it out for myself when the time comes to make a decision.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good info! The research Ive been doing relays that all the 2018 Camry Hybrids have Full Speed Range Cruise control that would be perfect in stop and go traffic. Have you used that feature yet? I plan on trying to rent a 2018 Camry LE Hybrid for a couple days from the dealership and trying it out for myself when the time comes to make a decision.
I have. Car comes to a complete stop and you either need to tap the accelerator or tap the cruise control button to ?resume? and your off.

I also love the HOLD button.

Hit the hold button and if you come to a complete stop you can take your foot off the gas and the trans is locked. Light turns green - simply mash the gas and you?re off.

Auto shuts off when you shut the car off. But once you hit the hold button it stays on the whole drive time or when you hit the button again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have. Car comes to a complete stop and you either need to tap the accelerator or tap the cruise control button to ?resume? and your off.

Hit the hold button and if you come to a complete stop you can take your foot off the gas and the trans is locked. Light turns green - simply mash the gas and you?re off.

Auto shuts off when you shut the car off. But once you hit the hold button it stays on the whole drive time or when you hit the button again.
Sounds very convenient! One more question and I'll quite harassing you. Your Rav4 hybrid, any issues or regrets with it? I was initially looking at the Rav4 but the lack of full range adaptive cruise turned me off a bit. I live in St. Louis area and the ability for cruise control to operate even in stop and go traffic sounds like butter!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Sounds very convenient! One more question and I'll quite harassing you. Your Rav4 hybrid, any issues or regrets with it? I was initially looking at the Rav4 but the lack of full range adaptive cruise turned me off a bit. I live in St. Louis area and the ability for cruise control to operate even in stop and go traffic sounds like butter!
Ask away my friend.

It?s my wife?s but I enjoy driving it from time to time. It?s a 2017. I?m not a sit high guy so don?t love CUV?s. She had a 2014 Xtrek and a 2016 Legacy. Those both were horrible cars. The whole ?it?s normal to burn a quart of oil in a brand new Subaru? is just insane.

The Camry Hybrid is sooo much nicer IMo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
P.S. I upgraded from a 2016 Prius 3 Touring specifically because of the increased MPG's and Luxury.
Nice unit! Excellent MPG!

How does the driver's seat comfort and adjustability compare between the Camry and Prius?
ZERO Comparison.

Prius is like driving a super fun go-kart.

Driving the 18? Camry is like driving a luxury Lexus.

The seat in the Camry is fantastic. I have the leather.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stand corrected Tumble. SE is the only model with paddles. Down by the shifter did you see a ECO, Normal, & Sport button?

Definitely no paddles in my XLE.

I bet the paddles move you through the modes. Also - I could throw the transmission in manual and use the stick to switch gears too.
Yes I just went by the dealer and they had an XE with paddles and, as you confirmed, an XLE without. They did not have an LE Hybrid but I suspect it does not. I did see the three mode buttons, I understand they only change the throttle mapping and operate the climate control in a more efficient manner. My Prius had two modes, Normal and ECO.

I have also read that the fuel tank capacity has been reduced to 13 gallons, any one been able to confirm that. Seems a bit small.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We bought a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE 2 months ago. Our XLE is averaging 49.5 mpg over 2500 miles. The reason for the incredible mileage is that the Hybrid system now operates in EV mode at Highway speeds (62 mph or so) versus only up to about 45mph on the prior systems. It also has a glide mode where instead of regenerating it coasts the car. Compared to our recently totaled 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE (that one averaged 39.5 mpg over its 69K mile life), the 2018 electric motor kicks in more frequently and will be in EV mode for longer periods of time.

As for 0W16 oil, our Toyota Dealer sells it for somewhere between $5 and $6 a quart, so it is comparable to buying quarts of Mobil 1 0W20. I understand Mobil 1 will be coming out with 0W16 very soon - hopefully in the 5 quart containers they sell at Walmart for $25. In the mean time I am fine with paying about $30 for 5 quarts (change it myself because it is less time-consuming than going to the dealer (30 minute drive each way) and waiting (30 minutes minimum). You can use 0W20 as well (but only every other oil change - probably due to mpg ratings .... I doubt it would do any harm long-term to the engine.)

As for the shifter, it is like our Hybrid Highlander - it simulates 6 'gears' using the CVT ratios and engine speed.

I believe the LE and XLE have the same CVT ratios and engine, just a different battery. The Lithium Ion Battery pack has a higher density

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes I just went by the dealer and they had an XE with paddles and, as you confirmed, an XLE without. They did not have an LE Hybrid but I suspect it does not. I did see the three mode buttons, I understand they only change the throttle mapping and operate the climate control in a more efficient manner. My Prius had two modes, Normal and ECO.

I have also read that the fuel tank capacity has been reduced to 13 gallons, any one been able to confirm that. Seems a bit small.
I put almost 14 gallons in the XLE just this Monday. Posted a picture of the pump for proof :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
We bought a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE 2 months ago. Our XLE is averaging 49.5 mpg over 2500 miles. The reason for the incredible mileage is that the Hybrid system now operates in EV mode at Highway speeds (62 mph or so) versus only up to about 45mph on the prior systems. It also has a glide mode where instead of regenerating it coasts the car. Compared to our recently totaled 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE (that one averaged 39.5 mpg over its 69K mile life), the 2018 electric motor kicks in more frequently and will be in EV mode for longer periods of time.

As for 0W16 oil, our Toyota Dealer sells it for somewhere between $5 and $6 a quart, so it is comparable to buying quarts of Mobil 1 0W20. I understand Mobil 1 will be coming out with 0W16 very soon - hopefully in the 5 quart containers they sell at Walmart for $25. In the mean time I am fine with paying about $30 for 5 quarts (change it myself because it is less time-consuming than going to the dealer (30 minute drive each way) and waiting (30 minutes minimum). You can use 0W20 as well (but only every other oil change - probably due to mpg ratings .... I doubt it would do any harm long-term to the engine.)

As for the shifter, it is like our Hybrid Highlander - it simulates 6 'gears' using the CVT ratios and engine speed.

I believe the LE and XLE have the same CVT ratios and engine, just a different battery. The Lithium Ion Battery pack has a higher density

Do you absolutely love the car as I do? I am really thrilled with it...and I have owned many nice cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts