Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Toyota Highlander xle,just DIY on highway, only 5k on it.It starts and runs for about couple seconds and DIYs!fuel tank gas shows half,and check engine lights its on!
Anyone any ideas,really appreciated. Thx

·
Limited
1,651 Posts
What code did this throw? If you don't have an OBD2 scanner, your local AutoZone can scan it for you free of charge.

By the way, you can get your own scanner and phone app for about $15 if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
753 Posts
2018 Toyota Highlander xle,just DIY on highway, only 5k on it.It starts and runs for about couple seconds and DIYs!fuel tank gas shows half,and check engine lights its on!
Sounds like an electrical related issue... With the Check Engine light ON, can you somehow retrieve the OBD Code(s) as 2017Highlander has responded, so members here are with better information to give you more accurate feedback and course of action towards resolution...

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,171 Posts
Sergius...already mentioned. Take to dealer. U may even have free tow svc if needed? Good luck.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
753 Posts
Sergius, would you kindly let us know what your dealer say was the issue and what did they do to fix the problem (i.e. they usually state the problem, fix and parts replaced on your receipt). I look forward learning from it, Thank you!

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
753 Posts
Service interval is 5K isn't it?
Oh, Nooo! According to the Owner's schedule booklet its annual or ~10K; yet, personally, I do that more frequently (in my "preference", every 10-months or 7500 miles which comes first on 0W-20 Full Synthetic oil; sooner if many short trips during the winter - just me; some may call me wasteful...).

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Limited AWD
4 Posts
Weird, my service light came on at 5K, 9500, 14xxx, 19249, and will most likely happen at 24xxx.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Tire rotation and various other checks are done at 5k.... like hopefully topping off the oil to make it to 10k

Doesn't anyone read the owners manual and the maintenance guide anymore?

What is it with all these trollbots with Toyotas still under warranty starting worthless threads for advice before going to dealer or simply popping the hood? Has society completely lost any common sense?

My new car had a CEL. I did what I can do and all looked ok. Then, I dropped it off at the dealer because its under warranty. Bad sensor replaced by dealer. All is well. No moronic thread needed. This is just one of hundreds that have popped up over the years. Its laughable.

Lesson 1:

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
753 Posts
Tire rotation and various other checks are done at 5k.... like hopefully topping off the oil to make it to 10k

Doesn't anyone read the owners manual and the maintenance guide anymore?

What is it with all these trollbots with Toyotas still under warranty starting worthless threads for advice before going to dealer or simply popping the hood? Has society completely lost any common sense?

My new car had a CEL. I did what I can do and all looked ok. Then, I dropped it off at the dealer because its under warranty. Bad sensor replaced by dealer. All is well. No moronic thread needed. This is just one of hundreds that have popped up over the years. Its laughable.
Everyone is different. We all walking through lives on slightly different path gaining experience in different ways... We can't expect people doing the samething just because we do the way we do. This is after all a "Forum" open for discussions... Knowing dealerships are not always honest and competent, it's no wonder folks turning to forums like TN for advice before heading over to their dealership blindly (warranty work or not). We are here to help each other (none of us is born with the knowledge), either point members to the right direction (i.e. page xx in the Oeners Manual or etc.) for information or share advise/experience; there is absolutely no need for criticism - we are here to find out, to learn, to share and to discuss with each other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts