Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an order sheet filled out for a new RX but was told by the dealer the L version is not rated to tow anything and they couldn't put on an OEM hitch. They said I could get one from UHaul, but if the transmission had issues, putting on the hitch might void the warranty coverage. Are there any 450hL owners out there who have heard this?

Trying to find anything from Lexus stating the towing capacity continues to come up nill.

All the other RX models show towing capacities.

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my sales guy did and was told "its not recommended" for the 450HL, but all other RX's are fine..... I was just curious if others had heard this and if any 450 HL owners are towing with them anyway?

·
6,491 Posts
Yours has 3rd row, right? This might be the reason, as they should have done some trickery to fit them rearmost seats in there, with all that slanted roof.
Also, " not recommended" does not mean "forbidden, will violate warranty".
I pretty much safely bet you will Lexus several times and talk to several different people and you will have several different answers. Or, even call different dealers.
WHy don't you ask this at clublexus? Folks there surely know first hand.
But, personally, considering expense, I'd hammer true answer out of Lexus itself. Personally and via email, so I have traceable record.

I DOUBT you can't tow at all. Maybe reduced capacity, but not at all. Besides, if you must tow - why don't you look at different vehicles? Hybrids are not really made for towing, ya know. And you will have no mpg benefit towing with one anyway. Lots of potential headaches, that's for sure, as rear wheel drive is electric only.

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexus actually says otherwise......
Sadly, unless I'm missing something, that's not for the RX450L version, that's for the non L. The L version is 196.9 in length, 74.6 in width, 67.7 in height, 109.8 in wheelbase, 4905 pounds. On the drop down, change it from the RX450h to the RX 450hL and see if you see what I'm seeing. Like I said, my sales guy was as shocked as I was.

·
6,491 Posts
I guess. Must be either oversight on their website or that added space for rear folding chairs weakened it to the point they do not feel comfortable to offer any towing. But then why would I even consider such a vehicle......

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess. Must be either oversight on their website or that added space for rear folding chairs weakened it to the point they do not feel comfortable to offer any towing. But then why would I even consider such a vehicle......
. Exactly. That’s why I canceled my order for a 2019 RX450L and bought a hybrid Highlander Limited platinum package instead..... I rarely need it to tow but, it just so happens, this weekend I’ve got to go pick up some furniture for my wife and rent a U-Haul trailer .....

·
6,491 Posts
Oh, so you finally bought something? You've been to about every SUV forum here considering all of them.
As personal experience, in 2015 we moved 9 miles away. As in - WE moved everything. I used my 2012 HiHy pretty much as a truck for about 6 months. Hauling and towing. And all that was done in January.

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh, so you finally bought something? You've been to about every SUV forum here considering all of them.
As personal experience, in 2015 we moved 9 miles away. As in - WE moved everything. I used my 2012 HiHy pretty much as a truck for about 6 months. Hauling and towing. And all that was done in January.
. Yes sir, purchased a HiHy brand new last year. But, need another kiddo hauling machine, so I’ve been researching Toyota/Lexus options - 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid, 2020 HiHy Limited Platinum, another 2019 HiHy if I could find an Applecarplay solution, lastly, waiting till the 2021 Sienna Limited Platinum hopefully Hybrid..... I’ll be keeping our HiHy platinum....

Dec 2018, used our HiHy to move 23 miles and it was a towing machine.

·
6,491 Posts
Those are good cars. Not toys or status statements like Lexus. I'd put HiHy over RX in heartbeat. Much more utilitarian and basically same driving experience. And I'd stay away from RAV. Good cars but tincans. Especially with that revving 4 cyl....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts