Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone enlighten me as to what mechanism maintains the actual clock time? My specific question is regarding traveling down a specific road and the clock will switch back and forth between DST and STD time. It only happens on one road and eventually ends up with the right time but I have to believe there is some network time protocol that maintains this and I am not sure where that time signal originates.

·
2019 Avalon Limited
Avalon Limited 2019
204 Posts
I don't know but assume it is similar to what your iPhone or other GPS device would use...receiving the satelite signals that tell your system where you are and using the time data in them to determine your time (adjusting as necessary for DST). But, I have also found that the car and my iPhone frequently differ by an hour and I have to tell my phone what time it is or put it on manual time zone control.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,685 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me as to what mechanism maintains the actual clock time? My specific question is regarding traveling down a specific road and the clock will switch back and forth between DST and STD time. It only happens on one road and eventually ends up with the right time but I have to believe there is some network time protocol that maintains this and I am not sure where that time signal originates.
You make no mention whether you are near the "dividing line" between time zones when this happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good information but as I mentioned earlier I am no where near a timezone change so unfortunately not relevant. The question is still "what can drive the Toyota Avalon clock time". What makes the clock change?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, good to know. All I need to do now is figure out what might be interfering with the signal on the road I am talking about. There is a set of very large high mount tilting solar panels along there following the path of the sun and while they don't emit anything potentially harmful to the signal they may actually be blocking it. Also, to prove the theory I have set Auto Adjust By GPS to OFF which should tell me absolutely that GPS is making the time change.

Terry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, good to know. All I need to do now is figure out what might be interfering with the signal on the road I am talking about. There is a set of very large high mount tilting solar panels along there following the path of the sun and while they don't emit anything potentially harmful to the signal they may actually be blocking it. Also, to prove the theory I have set Auto Adjust By GPS to OFF which should tell me absolutely that GPS is making the time change.

Terry
After having turned off Auto Adjust By GPS the clock still switched time between STD and DST so "obviously by GPS" cannot be true and there must be other inputs to the clock time. I'll contact the manufacturer I guess. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After having turned off Auto Adjust By GPS the clock still switched time between STD and DST so "obviously by GPS" cannot be true and there must be other inputs to the clock time. I'll contact the manufacturer I guess. Thanks for the help so far.
That is indeed odd.

I would have thought for sure that by turning off the "Auto Adjust By GPS", it would have solved any problem the the clock was giving you, especially one that seems to be very "location centric".

I wish you good luck in finding out the source of this puzzle, and let us know the answer when (or if) you find one. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is indeed odd.

I would have thought for sure that by turning off the "Auto Adjust By GPS", it would have solved any problem the the clock was giving you, especially one that seems to be very "location centric".

I wish you good luck in finding out the source of this puzzle, and let us know the answer when (or if) you find one. :)
The next step is turn off all the cell phones in the car to make sure bluetooth is not playing some havoc. I'll let you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts