Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have a 2019 brand new camry xse with heating issues...we bought this brand new 3 months ago...I noticed right away that there wasnt much heat being produced. But thought maybe I was imagining things.
Then the weather dipped down and I realized no it was definitely cold . I booked it into the dealership they ran major tests on it and got 20 pages of data and sent that all off to toyota Canada engineers. Toyota engineers discussed with the dealership what to do ...after 4 days they decided that the thermostat failed its testing ...so they changed the thermostat out ...we picked the car up and took it out for a test drive...and low and behold the first stop sign we stopped at the car started blowing freezing cold air out .
The temp outside was -20 as we live in alberta.
We have noticed that the car blows cold while at a idle or around under 1000 rpm . So back to the dealership we go.
We explain that it's still not working so they keep our car for another 4 days ... and when I phoned the dealership today I find out the toyota canada has decided that my car is fixed as good as they can get it ... toyota canada is apparently aware or this ongoing issue with the new Camry's and have opened up a research on the issue but until they figure out what to do without having to pull the whole motor to redo the heating system we are stuck with a car that blows cold air ! This is what our 40,000 dollars is paying for!! I'm frustrated that we paid this much money for a car that doesn't have very good heat . We live in alberta and it can get damn cold here and we shouldnt have to freeze in our brand new car! Only thing I can think to do to get them to get this fixed is to get anyone else who's having similar problems to complain also .. please let me know if you are having this issue also thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, also had the same troubles today with 2019 Camry base model L with 3,500 miles. Lukewarm heat from the dash registers and the cabin wouldn't get to a comfortable temperature, even though engine was at working temperature per the gauge. Outside temperature was ~25°F and engine was warmed up after 10 minutes. However, register temperature suddenly increased when accelerating from a stop but fell again when I reached cruising speed and engine speed dropped.

I will watch for the issue again over the next few days before bringing to the dealer for further troubleshooting and repairs. I plan watch engine coolant temps with an OBD-bluetooth device and the register temps with an instant read thermometer.

A thread with similar heat issues was started a year ago: 2018 LE Heater won't get hot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership I take mine to ...has 3 of them with the same issues on the lot ...I would really be interested to see what they do to fix yours

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, also had the same troubles today with 2019 Camry base model L with 3,500 miles. Lukewarm heat from the dash registers and the cabin wouldn't get to a comfortable temperature, even though engine was at working temperature per the gauge. Outside temperature was ~25°F and engine was warmed up after 10 minutes. However, register temperature suddenly increased when accelerating from a stop but fell again when I reached cruising speed and engine speed dropped.

I will watch for the issue again over the next few days before bringing to the dealer for further troubleshooting and repairs. I plan watch engine coolant temps with an OBD-bluetooth device and the register temps with an instant read thermometer.

A thread with similar heat issues was started a year ago: 2018 LE Heater won't get hot...
Definitely report back your findings. I feel like the same with my SE. Remote start for 15 minutes doesn't have the same heat production as my G6 after 7 minutes.
I do have a stick thermometer - made for HVAC use. I'll have to pop that in the vent and drive around a bit and see what I get for readings, so we can compare.

I do wonder if these cars use a thermostat with a lower temp than what older cars used.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My 2018 Camry heats well. But I would say the way it gets up to temp is not consistent. The engine warms up consistently, meaning it always takes about the same time to get up to normal operating temps, but the heating at the vents sometimes takes longer than other times to be felt. Overall, I wouldn`t consider that a defect, but it`s a bit annoying. For our dear Canadian climate, we need electrical heating elements not the fluid heater cores we get... I believe old VWs had that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello...I have a 2019 brand new camry xse with heating issues...we bought this brand new 3 months ago...I noticed right away that there wasnt much heat being produced. But thought maybe I was imagining things.
Then the weather dipped down and I realized no it was definitely cold . I booked it into the dealership they ran major tests on it and got 20 pages of data and sent that all off to toyota Canada engineers. Toyota engineers discussed with the dealership what to do ...after 4 days they decided that the thermostat failed its testing ...so they changed the thermostat out ...we picked the car up and took it out for a test drive...and low and behold the first stop sign we stopped at the car started blowing freezing cold air out .
We have noticed that the car blows cold while at a idle or around under 1000 rpm . So back to the dealership we go.
We explain that it's still not working so they keep our car for another 4 days ... and when I phoned the dealership today I find out the toyota canada has decided that my car is fixed as good as they can get it ... toyota canada is apparently aware or this ongoing issue with the new Camry's and have opened up a research on the issue but until they figure out what to do without having to pull the whole motor to redo the heating system we are stuck with a car that blows cold air ! This is what our 40,000 dollars is paying for!! I'm frustrated that we paid this much money for a car that doesn't have very good heat . We live in alberta and it can get damn cold here and we shouldnt have to freeze in our brand new car! Only thing I can think to do to get them to get this fixed is to get anyone else who's having similar problems to complain also .. please let me know if you are having this issue also thanks!
I'm having the exact same issue. Even when the temperature wasn't cold out my vehicle barely got warm. When the cold weather hit it was very noticeable. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour of driving for the heat to blow warm. I brought it into the dealer and they said that after running for 45 minutes that it was blowing warmish and that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm feeling very frustrated and dissapointed also to spend 40,000 on a new vehicle that we aren't warm in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely report back your findings. I feel like the same with my SE. Remote start for 15 minutes doesn't have the same heat production as my G6 after 7 minutes.
I do have a stick thermometer - made for HVAC use. I'll have to pop that in the vent and drive around a bit and see what I get for readings, so we can compare.

I do wonder if these cars use a thermostat with a lower temp than what older cars used.
They replaced my thermostat and I'm still having the same issues although they say once they replaced it it was 10 degrees warmer in there. But that was driving down the hwy at idling it still blows icy cold grrr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm having the exact same issue. Even when the temperature wasn't cold out my vehicle barely got warm. When the cold weather hit it was very noticeable. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour of driving for the heat to blow warm. I brought it into the dealer and they said that after running for 45 minutes that it was blowing warmish and that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm feeling very frustrated and dissapointed also to spend 40,000 on a new vehicle that we aren't warm in.
Toyota needs to get this fixed asap!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello neighbors to the north....We live in Northern Wisconsin, My wife bought a new 2019 Camry XSE in October 2019 and shortly after she also started having issues with the heater...long story short our dealer in Rhinelander WI also replaced the thermostat which did not correct the problem, after much debate and a week with out our car the dealer says Toyota calls it normal. Their answer is the transmission cooler robs coolant from the heater core when it needs it and thats why the air gets cold. Problem is it worked fine for the first month with really cold weather. We've basically been to Sorry that's the way it is......if anyone finds a fix please post it

F

·
Registered
95 Posts
And this is what happens when you decide to use electronically controlled thermostats and water pumps. The old fashioned wax thermostat and belt driven water pump that has worked for over 50 years apparently weren't good enough. I'm sure this will eventually get fixed with a software update since it's all computer controlled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello neighbors to the north....We live in Northern Wisconsin, My wife bought a new 2019 Camry XSE in October 2019 and shortly after she also started having issues with the heater...long story short our dealer in Rhinelander WI also replaced the thermostat which did not correct the problem, after much debate and a week with out our car the dealer says Toyota calls it normal. Their answer is the transmission cooler robs coolant from the heater core when it needs it and thats why the air gets cold. Problem is it worked fine for the first month with really cold weather. We've basically been to Sorry that's the way it is......if anyone finds a fix please post it

F
What temperature are you setting the control to? What temperature does the inside of the car get to? What's the temperature outside? Does setting the recirc to "on" make a difference? In case the dealer is not accurately reporting what Toyota said, did you see a letter or documentation from Toyota saying "that's the way it is"? With that documentation in hand, see if a lawyer will take this class action case or if the threat causes Toyota to sing a different tune. It does not sound reasonable that a car cannot provide adequate heat and I don't understand about the transmission cooler robbing coolant from the heater core - did you get written documentation from them on this? It's unfortunate that some are having this issue - my heater produces lots of heat but I don't live where it gets brutally cold so the fact that I don't have a heating issue doesn't really count. I do know that I would not be satisfied if my car was uncomfortably cold and something would have to be done.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts

what i have noticed on my '19 LE, is that it only has one radiator cooling fan. i seem to recall another camry i had, had 2 cooling fans.

what i have also noticed is that no matter how cold it is outside, the cooling fan comes on. this of course, lowers the temp of the radiator coolant.

i can be driving for a short distance of about 15 miles, the engine temp is up to normal, hut if i stop at a traffic light, that cooling fan kicks on.

i think it's kicking on too soon, or when it is just not needed. i'd want to suspect the engine cooling fan as the main culprit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what i have noticed on my '19 LE, is that it only has one radiator cooling fan. i seem to recall another camry i had, had 2 cooling fans.

what i have also noticed is that no matter how cold it is outside, the cooling fan comes on. this of course, lowers the temp of the radiator coolant.

i can be driving for a short distance of about 15 miles, the engine temp is up to normal, hut if i stop at a traffic light, that cooling fan kicks on.

i think it's kicking on too soon, or when it is just not needed. i'd want to suspect the engine cooling fan as the main culprit.
First off, compliments on your avatar. If the engine temp is normal, then that would imply that your coolant is at the correct temperature, so lots of heat available for heating the inside of the car. As long as the cooling fan is not lowering the engine temp, then I would think the engine temp, and the coolant temp, is "normal" and lots of heat. If we want to legitimately complain about the inside of the car not heating up, then we need some real numbers per my previous post. Otherwise it's pie in the sky and conjecture.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts