Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ,

I am Getting 5.2l/100 km (45 mpg) gas mileage from my 2019 Camry hybrid LE.
I purchased a certified version from a toyota dealer in Mississaug. It was driven 42000 km
I have reset the fuel gauges and since then driven 300 km. Why am I not getting 50+ mpg ?
its spring in Mississauga and the average temperature is 7 c. My driving is 70% city and 30% highway.I use the eco mode exclusively.
what am I doing wrong ? Please help.

·
8,164 Posts
My driving is 70% city and 30% highway.

This is your answer. Neither is favorable for great mpg.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My driving is 70% city and 30% highway.

This is your answer. Neither is favorable for great mpg.
can you please elaborate, kind sir ? i was told that hybrid vehicles get more mileage in city driving due to many stops and go scenarios, since it leads to increased usage of regenerative braking and use of EV only driving.

i have also noticed that i tend to get a better mileage if i speed up (power mode) and maintain the vehicle speed (mostly EV driving and the AGC is working). a slow acceleration is not getting results. i tend to keep my vehicle in the ECO zone in the drive cluster.

is there a problem with the car ? should i go to toyota and get it checked ?

do you suggest any thing else i could do to get a better mileage. thanks a lot in advance, and i am truly sorry for these barge of questions, this is my first hybrid and i am a bit confused on how to proceed.

thanks.

·
8,164 Posts
I owned 2 hybrids. From practical experience, neither of your driving conditions is favorable for great mpg. This is all I can say, before others jump in to argue how great a gas mileage they have driving in a city. Never happened in my case and I have seen plenty owners here, complaining on crappy mpg, with either very short trips or predominantly city driving. Any speeds above 50mph also reduce mpg. This likely will not be argued, as it is basic fact.
There is no problem with car, those are very good cars. Problem is with mpg stipulations based in what I have no idea what, but not really real world.

·
8,164 Posts
Why is my car mpg not as rated?

Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests.
Consumer Reports' senior auto test engineer Gabriel Shenhar says that while the EPA test is a lab simulation, Consumer Reports puts the cars on the streets and measures the fuel consumed to more accurately reflect gas mileage.

Toyota environmental engineer Dave Hermance says the EPA city test includes 19 stops of at least a few seconds, which take up a "non-trivial" amount of the test and could cause hybrid cars to rate even higher than conventional cars because of their reliance on electric motors. "But I could also make arguments about aspects of the test going the other way, too." Hermance says that because the EPA uses historical data from 1972, it's virtually impossible to change the test.

Hermance says customers who drive less than seven miles per trip will get fewer miles per gallon, as will drivers who speed. "There's a huge range of customer behavior and limited resources to collect data, so there's no perfect test."
The EPA test "has inherent shortcomings, irrespective of what kind of car is being driven," says Philip Schmidt, professor of engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. Schmidt says hybrid cars use computers to more precisely control the flow of gasoline and have more efficient catalytic converters, which reduce the amount of emissions. Schmidt "wouldn't rule out" that hybrid cars' ability to limit emissions contributes to the disparity in EPA versus real-world numbers.
But the inflated EPA numbers have been a public relations conundrum for Honda and Toyota, which are caught between hyped expectations and detracting from one of the cars' main selling points – better mileage.

·
8,164 Posts
i have also noticed that i tend to get a better mileage if i speed up (power mode) and maintain the vehicle speed (mostly EV driving and the AGC is working). a slow acceleration is not getting results. i tend to keep my vehicle in the ECO zone in the drive cluster.

This is basic hypermiling technique. Quick acceleration>cruise>quick acceleration>cruise.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hi all ,

I am Getting 5.2l/100 km (45 mpg) gas mileage from my 2019 Camry hybrid LE.
I purchased a certified version from a toyota dealer in Mississaug. It was driven 42000 km
I have reset the fuel gauges and since then driven 300 km. Why am I not getting 50+ mpg ?
its spring in Mississauga and the average temperature is 7 c. My driving is 70% city and 30% highway.I use the eco mode exclusively.
what am I doing wrong ? Please help.
45MPG isn't bad....let me rephrase your question:
I can ride a unicycle, but when I get up on the "high wire", like the "Flying Wallendas" I fall onto the safety net....what am I doing wrong?

Reading between the lines of your discussion, your 2019 Camry Hybrid had 26000 miles on it when you bought it, and after 186 miles of practice, I'm only getting 45MPG. Is this correct?

Based on this previous paragraph, you are doing a whole lot that is right! I have a 2016 Avalon Hybrid that I am getting 45.6mpg on, after almost 4000 miles of practice. It was at 46.3 (November) , then down to 44.9 (over the Winter) and hopefully rising to 47 mpg by this November. In about 2000 miles, with a fair amount of effort, you will have it figured out....how much you can use the EV button, going on your longest segment of your trip first, being the "master" of letting off the gas pedal, knowing how to get it to go into EV as much as possible on it's own. No amount of advice can help you with your locality/terrain/trips as much as "when I go down this street, if I_______"fill in the blank.

Read as much as you can on how to maximize your mileage:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude my 2019 Camry Hybrid LE gets 6-8 L/100km. You can't complain about 5.2..... I'm in canada too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
18k Km. Engine also kinda rough. More so than our other 19 hybrid LE. Toyota probably sold me a dud.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to update, I am now getting 4.5L/100 km Fuel efficiency.
Good Job!
Make sure that your tires are pumped up more than what is on the door jamb, but less than the max on the tires....just doing that could get it up to 55 mpg. (4.2 to 4.3L per 100km) Before October....I think you can do it.... 35 to 38 psi on the rear and maybe more on the front....(y)

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Job!
Make sure that your tires are pumped up more than what is on the door jamb, but less than the max on the tires....just doing that could get it up to 55 mpg. (4.2 to 4.3L per 100km) Before October....I think you can do it.... 35 to 38 psi on the rear and maybe more on the front....(y)
Thanks for the kind words.

I am keeping 40 PSI in all tires (Recommend is 35 psi).

I will try to achieve 4.2-4.3L / 100 km.

Also, I have noticed a screeching sound from the engine bay, when shifting the gear from drive to park , it goes away in like 1 second. I feel it’s normal ? Or is it ?!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.

I am keeping 40 PSI in all tires (Recommend is 35 psi).

I will try to achieve 4.2-4.3L / 100 km.

Also, I have noticed a screeching sound from the engine bay, when shifting the gear from drive to park , it goes away in like 1 second. I feel it’s normal ? Or is it ?!!
Any good mechanic is going to ask under what conditions....so pay closer attention.

My 2016 Avalon Hybrid is always off when I shift from D to P. My car will show my mileage and miles for the "segment" that I just drove, so I am sitting there with the EV light on (engine off already) so that I can look and see what mileage and miles driven, was and it is only there for like 2 seconds....I noticed on my own car that if I get in, put my foot on the brake and shift out of park too fast, the ready light didn't come on and.....it is not ready to go....back to park, and start over. Hybrid cars just have a lot to "think" about.

Hybrid vehicles have a lot of computer boxes (I read that as many as 17) so each one must be "satisfied" before the green "ready" light is displayed. So my point is that it is not like a "normal" car of old, and needs a few seconds before you put it in park, until the EV light is on. I think that you will find that the noise is gone, never to happen again. Otherwise, next time you have your car to the dealer, have them check it.

Normally when I am in a parking lot (or at home) I have my vehicle in ECO, and the EV light is on, even if I am going from D to reverse to back into a parking spot.

I run 44 lbs in front 40 rear....and soon the moderator will come along and say how dangerous that is....and so is speeding. Taking more than 2 aspirin is dangerous unless your Dr. says to.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any good mechanic is going to ask under what conditions....so pay closer attention.

My 2016 Avalon Hybrid is always off when I shift from D to P. My car will show my mileage and miles for the "segment" that I just drove, so I am sitting there with the EV light on (engine off already) so that I can look and see what mileage and miles driven, was and it is only there for like 2 seconds....I noticed on my own car that if I get in, put my foot on the brake and shift out of park too fast, the ready light didn't come on and.....it is not ready to go....back to park, and start over. Hybrid cars just have a lot to "think" about.

Hybrid vehicles have a lot of computer boxes (I read that as many as 17) so each one must be "satisfied" before the green "ready" light is displayed. So my point is that it is not like a "normal" car of old, and needs a few seconds before you put it in park, until the EV light is on. I think that you will find that the noise is gone, never to happen again. Otherwise, next time you have your car to the dealer, have them check it.

Normally when I am in a parking lot (or at home) I have my vehicle in ECO, and the EV light is on, even if I am going from D to reverse to back into a parking spot.

I run 44 lbs in front 40 rear....and soon the moderator will come along and say how dangerous that is....and so is speeding. Taking more than 2 aspirin is dangerous unless your Dr. says to.
I do a lot of start and stop driving and i need to park the car when doing deliveries. i noticed that the car does not allow me to exit the vehicle while in Neutral, since i don't want to use the park gear all the time. hence i keep the car in P and do my delivery. every time i put the car in P from D, there is a screeching sound and the sound goes away , the sound is almost like something was spinning and it came to a screeching halt.

it does this every time i go from D to P. i think this a normal phenomenon and i am over reacting. off-course i will get it checked at the dealer in my next service.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The engine does not charge the hybrid battery while in neutral...just keep that in mind. Awesome mileage for the conditions that you drive in. Yes get it checked out under warranty....maybe sooner the better.
Should make no sound from D to P.

·
8,164 Posts
I do a lot of start and stop driving and i need to park the car when doing deliveries. i noticed that the car does not allow me to exit the vehicle while in Neutral, since i don't want to use the park gear all the time. hence i keep the car in P and do my delivery. every time i put the car in P from D, there is a screeching sound and the sound goes away , the sound is almost like something was spinning and it came to a screeching halt.

it does this every time i go from D to P. i think this a normal phenomenon and i am over reacting. off-course i will get it checked at the dealer in my next service.
1. you have about the worst conditions for mpg.
2. don't do that. hybrid battery is not being charged when in Neutral and, especially now, summer time, if you have AC run, you surely draining battery every time you leave it in N.
3. take it to dealer. There should be screeching noises shifting gears.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1. you have about the worst conditions for mpg.
2. don't do that. hybrid battery is not being charged when in Neutral and, especially now, summer time, if you have AC run, you surely draining battery every time you leave it in N.
3. take it to dealer. There should be screeching noises shifting gears.
hi

but was not the start stop driving the strong point in driving hybrid to get max regeneraton from braking ?

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have learned, (albeit the hard way), the false economy of Hybrids.
hi there, i am not sure where you getting at ? i am getting a fantastic economy (50+mpg) with my TCH.

what i learned is that TCH needs a lot of city driving with many stops go grt a good mileage and use of a lot of hypermiling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts