Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Camry Hybrid Owners,

I purchased a 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE in April 2019. The car was advertised as 44/47 for gas mileage. But the mileage readout shows in the city approximately 42 and when I measure it based on how much gas I actually fill it is actually only 38mpg!!! This is very disappointing gas mileage. Why is it so low?? Is it because the car is fairly new (7700 mi) or could there be an issue with the batteries?? Its the first time I've owned a hybrid and I was expecting more from the gas mileage....at least what Toyota advertises. In every other way it drives great.

Thanks

·
6,615 Posts
No, because it is city driving.

Why is my car mpg not as rated?

Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests.
Consumer Reports' senior auto test engineer Gabriel Shenhar says that while the EPA test is a lab simulation, Consumer Reports puts the cars on the streets and measures the fuel consumed to more accurately reflect gas mileage.

Toyota environmental engineer Dave Hermance says the EPA city test includes 19 stops of at least a few seconds, which take up a "non-trivial" amount of the test and could cause hybrid cars to rate even higher than conventional cars because of their reliance on electric motors. "But I could also make arguments about aspects of the test going the other way, too." Hermance says that because the EPA uses historical data from 1972, it's virtually impossible to change the test.

Hermance says customers who drive less than seven miles per trip will get fewer miles per gallon, as will drivers who speed. "There's a huge range of customer behavior and limited resources to collect data, so there's no perfect test."
The EPA test "has inherent shortcomings, irrespective of what kind of car is being driven," says Philip Schmidt, professor of engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. Schmidt says hybrid cars use computers to more precisely control the flow of gasoline and have more efficient catalytic converters, which reduce the amount of emissions. Schmidt "wouldn't rule out" that hybrid cars' ability to limit emissions contributes to the disparity in EPA versus real-world numbers.
But the inflated EPA numbers have been a public relations conundrum for Honda and Toyota, which are caught between hyped expectations and detracting from one of the cars' main selling points – better mileage.

https://www.wired.com/2004/05/hybrid-mileage-comes-up-short/

·
6,615 Posts
Sorry about your disappointment in otherwise great cars.
But hybrids are not for everyone. Sometimes, electric is best option. Sometimes, g'ol diesel with manual. It depends.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Conserve your momentum through better situational awareness. Anticipate and mitigate forced deceleration events. Plan to arrive at the new green light when the traffic is moving away, so you can coast up to the traffic and match it's speed. Try to not get into the scenario where you are using the brakes then accelerating rinse and repeat ad stupidium.
Become the shock absorber in the conga line smoothly moving along at as close to the average speed as possible, versus driving up someones arse then hitting the brakes. On long downhill grades try to coast to the greatest extent possible.

My car is not a hybrid, but the last mile to my house, I accelerate to 55mph, 10 OVER the limit, then shut my engine off and coast the mile to my house and never restart the engine, using not a drop of fuel in the last mile. The hybrid can do that automatically, if you focus on your energy management screen and how far you can coast. Learn to time traffic lights to perfection.

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hybrid
119 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts