Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a brand new 2019 Camry SE end of August. Since then, I've noticed that both of my keys don't work from more than about 5 yards away. Is this intended or could there be something wrong with my key or the car sensors?

I can usually use electronic keys from at least 10 yards out in other cars I've driven (Toyota Siena, Nissan Altimas).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it's new and probably shouldn't require this, but have you tried replacing the battery? The signal strength will diminish as the battery gets weaker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's new and probably shouldn't require this, but have you tried replacing the battery? The signal strength will diminish as the battery gets weaker.
No, but I'll try replacing and see if it helps. I just assumed the battery was in good condition since the car is brand new, but these batteries probably deplete from non-usage as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have two with fresh batteries in them and neither one works from more than 2 car lengths away. Key fob range is a common complaint with these cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two with fresh batteries in them and neither one works from more than 2 car lengths away. Key fob range is a common complaint with these cars.
Hmm that's strange. Did you talk to the Toyota service people about it? I just called and was told that they should be working from much further away than that.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmm that's strange. Did you talk to the Toyota service people about it? I just called and was told that they should be working from much further away than that.
Let us know what they do to fix it. It doesn't bother me much and I assumed it was normal based on what I've read here and this being my first Toyota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let us know what they do to fix it. It doesn't bother me much and I assumed it was normal based on what I've read here and this being my first Toyota.
Oh he basically told me to try swapping out the batteries and if that doesn't work to bring it in to the service center.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I believe all toyota remote is not known for their range even with fresh batteries. I have a 2000 camry bought brand new and the range is not far either. Now my 2019 is the same range as the 2000.

OP asking the toyota dealer service - of course they will tell you it should work from a long range. They might even tell you that it works in another state. :)

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,218 Posts
Even after I changed the battery, the furthest I can get it to unlock is about 5 - 6 cars length distance only. Very weak. My honda can do better and its over 10 years old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even after I changed the battery, the furthest I can get it to unlock is about 5 - 6 cars length distance only. Very weak. My honda can do better and its over 10 years old.
Hmm is it a Toyota thing or a Camry thing? My dad has a Siena and I can use the key from very far away (50 yards ish)

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,696 Posts
I believe all toyota remote is not known for their range even with fresh batteries. I have a 2000 camry bought brand new and the range is not far either. Now my 2019 is the same range as the 2000.

OP asking the toyota dealer service - of course they will tell you it should work from a long range. They might even tell you that it works in another state. :)
Don't remember the range of my 2001 Camry, but 2012, 2014 and Avalon have 50+ yards range. what I've noticed the range goes down whet T @ 100+ degree.

·
Registered
2018 Camry XSE V6
58 Posts
Same with my 2018 Camry. The range sucks. Changing the batteries does't work for me. Hope there is a solution for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts
Don't remember the range of my 2001 Camry, but 2012, 2014 and Avalon have 50+ yards range. what I've noticed the range goes down whet T @ 100+ degree.
I don't have luck with my 4 toyotas but remote range is not my concern. As long as the car opens when I want to get in- plus still use my keys a lot to get in. :) 2 corolla and 2 camrys. Maybe the range is better on more expensive cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts