Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove in 4 inches of snow and didn't do very well. My 2013 Corolla behaved like a jeep in the snow with all season tires. I think I'll be getting snow tires for next winter. After 12000 miles this is my only complaint I still love this car.any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have 2 Camrays in the family with Blizzacks. They are fine and dandy until the base starts dragging like any other car these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yea do go with the much cheaper everything using 16” rims. Discount tire is where we got ours $80 / rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Wheel & Tire Guys
all
646 Posts
Drove in 4 inches of snow and didn't do very well. My 2013 Corolla behaved like a jeep in the snow with all season tires. I think I'll be getting snow tires for next winter. After 12000 miles this is my only complaint I still love this car.any recommendations would be appreciated.
Just wanted to offer some general information-

If you have the storage space, there is no comparison to having a dedicated winter tire set. Winter tires offer many more sipes which create a biting edge for traction in the snow, as well as special compounds that remain pliable when it gets extremely cold out. The next best would be a tire such as Pui| recommended which is an all weather tire, which not only can be driven all year long but is also 3 Peak rated ( Mountain snowflake | Discount Tire) for exceptional winter capability. Lastly an All Season, which although will work all year long would not provide the level of safety during the winter as the others.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or if we can be of any help.

Have a great weekend!

Also
@driz Thank you for your business

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been using dedicated winter tires for 12 years and absolutely love them for driving in winter weather. My favorite so far are Michelin X-Ice, but have also had Firestone Winterforce and General Altimax Arctic. It's best to mount them on their own set of rims, to avoid the costs to remount them each fall and summer. They take up a bit of space in the garage, but it's the same space whether they're on rims or not.

I found a set of used 16" steel wheels for a previous generation Camry that fit the 2018+ model perfectly. A local salvage yard would probably have great prices on steel wheels. Check out wheel-size.com to find other models of cars with matching wheel sizes in case you can't find a set from a Camry.

I see quite a few cars in winter that just have winter tires on black steel rims without any wheel covers. It's kind of a cool look for winter at least!

There's a ton of articles about winter tires at discounttire.com and tirerack.com. There's also some fun YouTube videos out there. Here's one comparing AWD with summer tires and a FWD with winter tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts