Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of troubleshooting, I ended up removing one by one the rear cargo lid, floor liner, spare tire, left styrofoam jack and right styrofoam jack to stop this annoying bump noise. The noise sounds like if you have loose rear struts, but on new car.

So anyway, finally found the culprit which was the last piece I removed, the right styrofoam jack piece. Both the left and right isn't secured tightly. After placing few cardboards, the noise went away. Now I need to figure out permanent solution to this. Thinking about hot glueing a styrofoam piece to jam it under it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have some minor clunking coming from the back of my 19 HB as well when going over bumps. Just yesterday I put some foam and stuffing to make the foam pieces tighter but did not get rid of the clunking. Those foam pieces are not very well design, they just sit loosely and can make all kind of noise. So yours was between the right side foam and the car body?

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,926 Posts
Mine is good and quiet in the rear (and all over), even on the roughest possible roads... Is your spare wheel and tire assembly secured tightly? Is there a tool or something sitting on your spare wheel or in the cavity around it? Make sure your upper cargo cover is popped in on both sides of the rear seat back.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some minor clunking coming from the back of my 19 HB as well when going over bumps. Just yesterday I put some foam and stuffing to make the foam pieces tighter but did not get rid of the clunking. Those foam pieces are not very well design, they just sit loosely and can make all kind of noise. So yours was between the right side foam and the car body?
Both the left and right styrofoam jack pads that sits beside the spare tire. Both are loosely secured and the right side one is clunking. Left side one is a joke too but isn't making any noise yet.

There are 2 plastic sliders on left and right of floor liner that's shaking bad as well. Took those out but random stuff could go inside. Oh well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is good and quiet in the rear (and all over), even on the roughest possible roads... Is your spare wheel and tire assembly secured tightly? Is there a tool or something sitting on your spare wheel or in the cavity around it? Make sure your upper cargo cover is popped in on both sides of the rear seat back.
Yup, check check and check, did all that. Got rid of some noise, but there is more.
No-cost option: Real Toyota 3D sound. 😂

There are 2 plastic sliders on left and right of floor liner that's shaking bad as well. Took those out but random stuff could go inside. Oh well.
For the 2 sliders, I pulled them out and jammed a small piece of old bike tube at the end when putting them in. Now they are both tight and rattle free. Just have to find the other noise around the styrofoam now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mystery solved. After trying to tighten everything and still some minor clunking, I decided to start pulling things out one at a time to find the cause. I’m OCD that way. ;)
It was the cargo cover that is making the noise, even when it was installed on the 2 retaining hooks properly. Pulled it out of the car, no more clunking. Good to know it is not any part of the suspension.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,926 Posts
Mystery solved. After trying to tighten everything and still some minor clunking, I decided to start pulling things out one at a time to find the cause. I’m OCD that way. ;)
It was the cargo cover that is making the noise, even when it was installed on the 2 retaining hooks properly. Pulled it out of the car, no more clunking. Good to know it is not any part of the suspension.
I suspected so... It's also very noisy if it happens to be unsecured at either end.

Make sure your upper cargo cover is popped in on both sides of the rear seat back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts