Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the site and have a 2 questions about the headlights on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum.
1) The low beam headlights seem very dim. At times it's hard to tell if they are on even though the icon is lit on the dashboard (I've checked and they are on). I have to use the fog lights with them in order to see. I had the dealer check them & said they are working as designed.
I went to an auto parts store, after Toyota told me there are no brighter bulbs available, & they suggested the next level up H11 bulb.
I installed the new bulbs but don't see any difference.
Is anyone else having this issue &/or are there any suggestions on what type of bulb would you suggest?
2) The gray cover that covers the low beam headlight access fell off. It dropped somewhere into the car frame. It did not fall to the ground. Does anyone know how important this cover is and has Toyota given it some type of name that I can use to replace it.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are many threads on replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs; it is very simple and much much brighter (what it should have been).

What you dropped is the dust cover; it's there for a reason, so is find it and reinstall it or purchase a new one. You should be able to remove the under engine trim to get it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
752 Posts
Edited...
If the "gray cover" has not fallen off the vehicle yet, as abellofiore mentioned, you "need" to retrieve it then reinstall it; you can (lay on the ground and) tap/knock on the under engine black plastic cover/shield to detect where above the shield this gray cover is resting... Perhaps you may not have to remove the entire shield to retrieve the gray cover.

As for the low beam brightness, have you or your dealership checked the headlight "aim" to see if the aim is correctly adjusted?

Additional Edit:
Even after you have the OEM Halogen bulbs replaced with LEDs etc. it's still best practice to check/adjust as appropriate the aims to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander LTD
81 Posts
The stock Halogen Low and High Beams provided by Toyota are inadequate. The stock FOG Lights ARE LED's.

Buy a set of these Low and High Beam LED's:

And a set of these dust covers if you can't find the one that fell off:

The difference is like light and day. Good Luck...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Switching to aftermarket LED or HID bulbs is no guarantee of improvement. There have been numerous forum threads about people trying them out and then switching back to the original OEM halogen bulbs due to dissatisfaction. Even some of the OEM LED headlamp systems on current Toyota are not highly rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For example, the standard LED projector headlamps on the entry level 2019 RAV4 get the IIHS lowest "Poor" rating.

The 2019 Highlander headlamps get the second highest "Acceptable" rating from the IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/toyota/highlander-4-door-suv/2019#headlights

Based on my experience with personally owned and rental vehicles that received the IIHS "Acceptable" headlamp rating, I'm surprised that you find your headlamps so terrible. Are they aimed properly? Are you carrying cargo that causes your Highlander's rear end to squat preventing your headlamp beams from hitting the road?

It's important to remember that the amount of foreground light produced by headlamps is far less important than distance light. Many aftermarket LED and HID bulbs produce an impressive and excessive amount of foreground light but less distance light than the OEM bulbs. Excess foreground light has been found to cause drivers to focus on what is near instead of looking further down the road for hazards.

2019 is going to be the last model year that the Highlander has halogen headlamps as Toyota nears its model-wide migration to LED headlamps. We can only hope that the LED headlamps on the 2020 Highlander don't turn out to be crap like the ones on the entry level RAV4.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
752 Posts
The stock Halogen Low and High Beams provided by Toyota are inadequate. The stock FOG Lights ARE LED's.

Buy a set of these Low and High Beam LED's:

And a set of these dust covers if you can't find the one that fell off:

The difference is like light and day. Good Luck...
Thanks for the URLs to the NINEOs LEDs and dust cover!
Physical space and Cooling wise, I wonder:
1. how do the NINEOs fit inside/behind the OEM dust cover (or the extended dust covers are necessary) ?
2. within the enclosed OEM light housing is it still sufficient to dissipate heat generated from the LED bulbs?
3. Do you notice the fan noise/vibration from inside the cabin at all?
Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Edited...
If the "gray cover" has not fallen off the vehicle yet, as abellofiore mentioned, you "need" to retrieve it then reinstall it; you can (lay on the ground and) tap/knock on the under engine black plastic cover/shield to detect where above the shield this gray cover is resting... Perhaps you may not have to remove the entire shield to retrieve the gray cover.

As for the low beam brightness, have you or your dealership checked the headlight "aim" to see if the aim is correctly adjusted?

Additional Edit:
Even after you have the OEM Halogen bulbs replaced with LEDs etc. it's still best practice to check/adjust as appropriate the aims to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.
Great point. I find so many obvious bulb replacements that have not be re-adjusted SOOOOOO annoying .

·
Registered
2019 Highlander LTD
81 Posts
Thanks for the URLs to the NINEOs LEDs and dust cover!
Physical space and Cooling wise, I wonder:
1. how do the NINEOs fit inside/behind the OEM dust cover (or the extended dust covers are necessary) ?
2. within the enclosed OEM light housing is it still sufficient to dissipate heat generated from the LED bulbs?
3. Do you notice the fan noise/vibration from inside the cabin at all?
Thanks!
In a previous thread, I posted MY particular test results on MY 2019 HL Limited. The products I have listed above resulted in the best light output, fitment, horizontal cutoff line and bright white color of the 5 sets I tested. I also used the bulbfacts.com website to research and PURCHASE the top 5 rated LED's. I found the BEST results with the bulbs I have listed that were purchased on Amazon. These bulbs fit INSIDE the stock dust covers, within the OEM housing without modifications and are very quiet with NO noticeable fan noise while sitting in the cabin.
Again, this has been my experience which others may not agree with...

·
Registered
89 Posts
The stock FOG Lights ARE LED's.
Not on my '18 Hybrid Platinum; they were Halogen. I replaced them with 6K LEDs to match my new low beam's color (brightness of them was fine).

I went with the Xenon Depot fanless low beams. I cut a hole in the dust cover and used the supplied grommet to mount the power bricks outside the assembly:

For the fogs I went with their H16 CMBs (though anyone's would do for cheaper):

For high beams, I purchased Beamtech 9005 fanless LEDs from Amazon which I must say are amazing and plug & play (no modifications):

·
Registered
2019 Highlander LTD
81 Posts
Not on my '18 Hybrid Platinum; they were Halogen. I replaced them with 6K LEDs to match my new low beam's color (brightness of them was fine).

I went with the Xenon Depot fanless low beams. I cut a hole in the dust cover and used the supplied grommet to mount the power bricks outside the assembly:

For the fogs I went with their H16 CMBs (though anyone's would do for cheaper):

For high beams, I purchased Beamtech 9005 fanless LEDs from Amazon which I must say are amazing and plug & play (no modifications):

The 2019 Limited's have stock LED Fogs. I dismissed the Beam Tech's and xenondepot's due to the fact they required modifications among other reasons...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Switching to aftermarket LED or HID bulbs is no guarantee of improvement. There have been numerous forum threads about people trying them out and then switching back to the original OEM halogen bulbs due to dissatisfaction. Even some of the OEM LED headlamp systems on current Toyota are not highly rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For example, the standard LED projector headlamps on the entry level 2019 RAV4 get the IIHS lowest "Poor" rating.

The 2019 Highlander headlamps get the second highest "Acceptable" rating from the IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/toyota/highlander-4-door-suv/2019#headlights

Based on my experience with personally owned and rental vehicles that received the IIHS "Acceptable" headlamp rating, I'm surprised that you find your headlamps so terrible. Are they aimed properly? Are you carrying cargo that causes your Highlander's rear end to squat preventing your headlamp beams from hitting the road?

It's important to remember that the amount of foreground light produced by headlamps is far less important than distance light. Many aftermarket LED and HID bulbs produce an impressive and excessive amount of foreground light but less distance light than the OEM bulbs. Excess foreground light has been found to cause drivers to focus on what is near instead of looking further down the road for hazards.

2019 is going to be the last model year that the Highlander has halogen headlamps as Toyota nears its model-wide migration to LED headlamps. We can only hope that the LED headlamps on the 2020 Highlander don't turn out to be crap like the ones on the entry level RAV4.
Call us old and unaware (recently retired) if you want but I was surprised to see all the complaints here about the OEM headlights after buying our 2017 HIHy Limited Platinum. I asked my wife, who shares the HiHy driving with me around town and on trips we’ve taken if she ever felt the lights are inadequate and the response was the same as mine. They seem fine to us! What are we missing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the info. I had the car serviced at Toyota last week & I asked them to check & they said everything was fine. I'm going to check into getting LED bulbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2019 Limited's have stock LED Fogs. I dismissed the Beam Tech's and xenondepot's due to the fact they required modifications among other reasons...
Thanks for the info. I don't want to start doing any modifications to a 6 month old car that in anyway gives Toyota some sort of excuse to void the warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Edited...

Additional Edit:
Thanks for the info. Call me ignorant but I didn't think the aim could be adjusted. Haven't heard anyone mention that since the old round or rectangular headlight bulb days.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
752 Posts
Thanks for the info. Call me ignorant but I didn't think the aim could be adjusted. Haven't heard anyone mention that since the old round or rectangular headlight bulb days.
No, no, no, not calling anyone anything; just after so many year tinkling with cars, especially we all are talking over just text messages from time to time people talking past each other only to realize the simplest may be overlooked, anything is possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rickvmax, didn’t think you were calling anyone anything. Was just saying I didn’t know you could adjust headlight aim anymore. Could you explain or tell me where to look to get info on how to adjust them?

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
752 Posts
Absolutely! There is a thread within our TN forum that talks about that, specifically post #4 has pictures on location and the adjustment screws (either a long Philips screw driver or I personally prefer using an 8mm socket wrench) with the 2nd picture shows what the screw looks like. Before you start with any adjustment, I suggest that you use a marker to mark the current position as reference in case you want to revert back to the factory adjustment.
Here is the link (URL):

·
Registered
Highlander Ltd. AWD
252 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't want to start doing any modifications to a 6 month old car that in anyway gives Toyota some sort of excuse to void the warranty
I purchased fanless sets of LED and HID bulbs for my 2018 Highlander Limited from Xenon Depot- no modifications were necessary.

And, BTW, Toyota can't just void the warranty because you made a modification.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
752 Posts
I can't see that your dealer declines any warranty service by just replaced the OEM Halogen bulbs with aftermarket LEDs, UNLESS somehow your LED bulb melts the light housing or short-out you headlight circuit... which is so rare and BTW I have aftermarket LED bulbs all around from front headlight to fog lights to switch-back turn signals to all the tail & brake/parking lights to all of the interior lights plus installed a couple of LED light strips under the dash and etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd choose fanless over models with fans any day for plenty of reasons:
One less point of failure
Audibly quieter
Electrically quieter (read about all the complaints of static on radion channels)

Plus, replacement dust caps aren't much $ if you want to go stock again some day (why???).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts